Bullnose Forums

Hello new users!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with a 400 (just ask Gary!)

Put a 4V manifold on it and let it eat! 😈

Agreed. But there were really two problems with both the 351M & 400 - lack of carburetion & cam timing. I know a guy that put a straight-up timing set on his 400 and a 600 CFM Edelbrock and said it doubled his power. Don't know which is the most important, but both are significant.

The 400 has a tad longer stroke than the 460 and much larger inlet and exhaust ports than a 351W. So it can make gobs of torque and it can breath. But it came out of the factory neutered badly.

Nothing wrong with a 400 (just ask Gary!)

Put a 4V manifold on it and let it eat! 😈

Agreed. But there were really two problems with both the 351M & 400 - lack of carburetion & cam timing. I know a guy that put a straight-up timing set on his 400 and a 600 CFM Edelbrock and said it doubled his power. Don't know which is the most important, but both are significant.

The 400 has a tad longer stroke than the 460 and much larger inlet and exhaust ports than a 351W. So it can make gobs of torque and it can breath. But it came out of the factory neutered badly.

I guess I dont know what you mean by a "straight up" timing set, can you explain that please?

The crank keyway points straight up, at the cam.

The tooth is centered, not retarded.

You are now on the map.

As for the cam, retarding the timing helps with emissions but hurts power - badly. The 351M & 400 got timing sets that retarded the cam timing in order to pass emissions testing, and were forever called "boat anchors" because of it.

You are now on the map.

As for the cam, retarding the timing helps with emissions but hurts power - badly. The 351M & 400 got timing sets that retarded the cam timing in order to pass emissions testing, and were forever called "boat anchors" because of it.

My 460 with the factory cam and a double roller straight up timing set will smoke the tires right through 3rd! 👍

• 4 weeks later...

My 460 with the factory cam and a double roller straight up timing set will smoke the tires right through 3rd! 👍

I loved the site, I have been using it for years and trolling for technical info and decided to make the plunge. I bought my truck with a strange story and began my journey. My trucks mission changed over the years out of need but I'm still in love with it, terribly. 20230118_124226.jpg.58b3719c89e5263ea9ae9d4f7540b4ea.jpg I drive around feeling super punchy.

I loved the site, I have been using it for years and trolling for technical info and decided to make the plunge. I bought my truck with a strange story and began my journey. My trucks mission changed over the years out of need but I'm still in love with it, terribly. I drive around feeling super punchy.

Welcome! Glad you joined! :nabble_anim_handshake:

We need to see your truck's strange story and follow along on your journey. Please start a thread about it either in the main section or in Projects, your choice, and tell us about it.

But while we are on intro's I want to point out two things. First, we hope to be moving off of the platform we are on now to a new, and much better, one in the near future. Everything should work and look even better than it does now. Just FYI.

Second, we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or zip.

I loved the site, I have been using it for years and trolling for technical info and decided to make the plunge. I bought my truck with a strange story and began my journey. My trucks mission changed over the years out of need but I'm still in love with it, terribly. I drive around feeling super punchy.

One more Crew Cab, yeah!

:nabble_smiley_cool:

Welcome!