Bullnose Forum

Swapping 1996 4.9 E4OD into 1986 F250 6.9 C6

nic55kel

This project is under serious consideration.

Donor is regular cab and recipient is extended cab.

My research so far leads me to the following conclusions:

Switch the entire HVAC system from the 1996 as a charged system.

The engine perches should just switch over.

Will have to fab/modify the transmission cross member.

Come up with correct length driveshaft.

Get rid of the cat converters and use a Walker Y pipe.

Issues to be solved:

Need a VSS signal at correct frequency.

Transmission shift linkage.

fuel system - I would really like to keep the existing tanks in the 86 as the tanks on the 96 are rusted out.

Instrument cluster speedometer.

Where to put the PCM? Make a housing with ventilation under the hood?

Wiring issues - Intend to take the engine - transmission - PCM wiring from the donor and strip out everything else which will just leave the external connections to the PCM - various power, ground, MIL, brake, VSS, datalink and fuel pump.

Nic55kel

IMG_0958.jpg.860f9d12b04a8ca4a973040c2060de9d.jpgIMG_0957.jpg.ac490b1a23f3881d06b0630fca2b1c58.jpg

All trucks should have the computer pocket beneath the brake booster, near the kick panel.

Is your Diesel not this way?

I thought by '85 (and the option of efi in the 302) that it was universal, and came with a rubber cover if not used.

Maybe I'm wrong?

Saw your intro, and I think you have a great plan! :nabble_smiley_good:

All trucks should have the computer pocket beneath the brake booster, near the kick panel.

Is your Diesel not this way?

I thought by '85 (and the option of efi in the 302) that it was universal, and came with a rubber cover if not used.

Maybe I'm wrong?

Saw your intro, and I think you have a great plan! :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks for the encouragement, quite the opposite of the response I got on oilburners.net (which is not surprising).

If that is true about the pocket that is great news.

I will find out when I pull the 6.9. With it being a diesel there is sound insulation covering most everything and with the water separator there its tough to see.

Nic55kel

Thanks for the encouragement, quite the opposite of the response I got on oilburners.net (which is not surprising).

If that is true about the pocket that is great news.

I will find out when I pull the 6.9. With it being a diesel there is sound insulation covering most everything and with the water separator there its tough to see.

Nic55kel

Have a look at your 300.

Although the cab changed in many ways, to the best of my knowledge the pocket stayed in the same place.

You can then envision what lays beneath the insulation on the diesel.

Looks like a good plan to me. But I'm not sure you can't use the E4OD's crossmember from the '96. I used a '90 E4OD crossmember in Dad's truck. It didn't bolt right in, but you can see for yourself how it fit in Dad's Truck Build thread here.

But your truck is a 2wd - right? I ask because if it is a 4wd there's a possibility that with the E4OD's extra 7" of length the transfer case may hit the floor.

Looks like a good plan to me. But I'm not sure you can't use the E4OD's crossmember from the '96. I used a '90 E4OD crossmember in Dad's truck. It didn't bolt right in, but you can see for yourself how it fit in Dad's Truck Build thread here.

But your truck is a 2wd - right? I ask because if it is a 4wd there's a possibility that with the E4OD's extra 7" of length the transfer case may hit the floor.

Thanks Gary. The 1996 crossmember is in poor shape, looks like I will have to move the C6 crossmember rearward about 8".

I was checking out the supermotors.net site and I see Steve has already solved a lot of issues.

The PCM can be made to fit in the 87+ location by cutting a hole in the firewall and moving the parking brake pedal over a small amount and cutting the kick trim panel a bit. He also did a nice job of fitting a later PSOM in the bullnose cluster in place of the mechanical speedo.

Starting to feel confident that this can be done without too many headaches and will have a good outcome.

Will make a final decision on this in the next couple of weeks and if I go ahead I will post lots of pictures of how it goes.

Nic55kel

Thanks Gary. The 1996 crossmember is in poor shape, looks like I will have to move the C6 crossmember rearward about 8".

I was checking out the supermotors.net site and I see Steve has already solved a lot of issues.

The PCM can be made to fit in the 87+ location by cutting a hole in the firewall and moving the parking brake pedal over a small amount and cutting the kick trim panel a bit. He also did a nice job of fitting a later PSOM in the bullnose cluster in place of the mechanical speedo.

Starting to feel confident that this can be done without too many headaches and will have a good outcome.

Will make a final decision on this in the next couple of weeks and if I go ahead I will post lots of pictures of how it goes.

Nic55kel

And yes it is a 2WD so should be no clearance issues.

Nic55kel

Nic55kel

Yes, Steve has been there, done that. You can too. :nabble_smiley_good:

That should have no impact.
That's certainly the best - the compressor already fits the engine, and you only need to swap the hood latch bracket to make the condenser fit.
Yes.
If the original '96 Xmbr is damaged, look for an identical one in the local JYs. It should simply bolt into the older frame, although you may have to drill some holes.
That was a problem for me for MANY years, because I kept trying to cheap-out. When I finally bit the bullet & ordered a new one to fit, all those problems went away. Mine came from Tom Woods
Why? The engine will run better with ALL the factory parts (including the emissions systems) intact & working as-designed. My engine is now in its 3rd chassis with about a million miles, never rebuilt, still running like-new. And I only drive it like I stole it.
This isn't the answer you want to hear, but the easiest way to solve that is to swap to a newer axle. That will also make the driveshaft problem MUCH easier & cheaper.

There IS a way around it, using a cruise control VSS & matching speedo cable, but I don't recommend it because they're high-wear parts, and speedo cables are VERY hard to find new nowadays. They'll only get $carcer...

My guess on that one would be to build a simple bracket (or modify the one from the '96) to connect the '96 E4OD cable to the '86 column outside the cab at the '86 shifter nub. You should end up with a LOT of extra cable. Just make sure the radius from the center of the '86 nub's rotation to the nub is the same as on the '96 shifter.
fuel system
My solution was to put an EFI tank in my Bronco. I recommend you do the same, but you'll need 2 that fit your wheelbase. That's the only thing that relates to the cab sizes, but since the donor's tanks are bad (have you actually looked inside them?), and you can't reuse the diesel tank, you had to cross that bridge no matter what.
The PSOM, fuel gauge, & voltmeter have to be swapped in, as you saw in my pics.
Where to put the PCM?
I see you found that answer already - yes, it's pretty easy.
...take the engine - transmission - PCM wiring from the donor and strip out everything else...
The more '96 wiring you put into the '86, the better-off you'll be. When I put an '88 F150 XLT into a '75 Bronco, I only removed the RABS.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/70352/thumbnail/beforeafter.jpg

Like the EEC, I recommend cutting the firewall for the 2 big driver's side connectors so they install just like in the '96. I didn't do that on my truck, and I regretted it until the 2nd time I changed the body (which was a '93 with those holes).

That should have no impact.
That's certainly the best - the compressor already fits the engine, and you only need to swap the hood latch bracket to make the condenser fit.
Yes.
If the original '96 Xmbr is damaged, look for an identical one in the local JYs. It should simply bolt into the older frame, although you may have to drill some holes.
That was a problem for me for MANY years, because I kept trying to cheap-out. When I finally bit the bullet & ordered a new one to fit, all those problems went away. Mine came from Tom Woods
Why? The engine will run better with ALL the factory parts (including the emissions systems) intact & working as-designed. My engine is now in its 3rd chassis with about a million miles, never rebuilt, still running like-new. And I only drive it like I stole it.
This isn't the answer you want to hear, but the easiest way to solve that is to swap to a newer axle. That will also make the driveshaft problem MUCH easier & cheaper.

There IS a way around it, using a cruise control VSS & matching speedo cable, but I don't recommend it because they're high-wear parts, and speedo cables are VERY hard to find new nowadays. They'll only get $carcer...

My guess on that one would be to build a simple bracket (or modify the one from the '96) to connect the '96 E4OD cable to the '86 column outside the cab at the '86 shifter nub. You should end up with a LOT of extra cable. Just make sure the radius from the center of the '86 nub's rotation to the nub is the same as on the '96 shifter.
fuel system
My solution was to put an EFI tank in my Bronco. I recommend you do the same, but you'll need 2 that fit your wheelbase. That's the only thing that relates to the cab sizes, but since the donor's tanks are bad (have you actually looked inside them?), and you can't reuse the diesel tank, you had to cross that bridge no matter what.
The PSOM, fuel gauge, & voltmeter have to be swapped in, as you saw in my pics.
Where to put the PCM?
I see you found that answer already - yes, it's pretty easy.
...take the engine - transmission - PCM wiring from the donor and strip out everything else...
The more '96 wiring you put into the '86, the better-off you'll be. When I put an '88 F150 XLT into a '75 Bronco, I only removed the RABS.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/70352/thumbnail/beforeafter.jpg

Like the EEC, I recommend cutting the firewall for the 2 big driver's side connectors so they install just like in the '96. I didn't do that on my truck, and I regretted it until the 2nd time I changed the body (which was a '93 with those holes).

Steve thanks for your detailed reply.

Problem with tanks, crossmember and cat converters is rust. They are horrible, front tank leaks.

I think my best solution for the rest of the parts is to try to find a 92-96 F250 donor with 155 wb, E4OD. This should give me the driveshaft, rear axle(vss) and fuel tanks.

As for transferring as much wiring as possible. How does the 96 interior cab harness match up to the 86 controls, steering column etc.? Or did you switch those out as well?

As a side note, I put a permit on the 96 donor and took it for a drive. Transmission shifts great, OD lockout and indicator work. Engine nice and smooth with no codes set, all the fluids super clean and no blow-by or odd noises. Even got the speed control to work once I jumpered out the brake pressure switch. A/c blowing 40f at the vents with 80f outside so very happy with all the major systems.

Have lots of family visiting at the moment so not much time for projects but in a couple of weeks should be ready to start.

Nic55kel