Bullnose Forums

Gifted a project vehicle in OK condition by a buddy, after someone tried to STEAL her.

The certification label on the door post will look like the one shown here, and decoding instructions are included: Specifications/Certification Label.

Jim, learning thanks to you guys. Figured that out after someone said good thing they didn't know what they were doing and I started playing with it.

As far as the keys, I got it figured out last night with Amazon "frequently bought together" suggestions lol thanks though! You got me to the right place!

Gary, Thinking I have a swapped trans? This is a 3 speed for sure the shift pattern matches the knob.

IMG_20190706_114934.jpg.99e6d7e9a387133f898a91c71d7aeb52.jpg

IMG_20190706_114940.jpg.23cffa17ddf0dbcd7a3211b389edeee8.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, learning thanks to you guys. Figured that out after someone said good thing they didn't know what they were doing and I started playing with it.

As far as the keys, I got it figured out last night with Amazon "frequently bought together" suggestions lol thanks though! You got me to the right place!

Gary, Thinking I have a swapped trans? This is a 3 speed for sure the shift pattern matches the knob.

IMG_20190706_115012.jpg.1c65979838152733be6f2742cda24fb9.jpg

Sorry for my oversight Fred. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I looked at DL3, and thought...

Well, I'm glad I didn't steer you down the wrong path.

Sorry for my oversight Fred. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I looked at DL3, and thought...

Well, I'm glad I didn't steer you down the wrong path.

Jim no worries at all glad for all the help!

As far as the transmission code, it appears 3 speed is factory for me. Although I wish it had a 4!

As far as the transmission code, it appears 3 speed is factory for me. Although I wish it had a 4!

Yes sir, your truck is a factory 3spd model. It was a 3-on-the-tree column shift and somebody converted it to a floor shifter at some point in it's life.

Factory 195/75/15 tires too...tiny...and a 2.47 rear diff, and manual brakes, yes? This thing would have needed a 2.47 rear diff with 195 tires or it would have been a screamer on the highway.

Yes sir, your truck is a factory 3spd model. It was a 3-on-the-tree column shift and somebody converted it to a floor shifter at some point in it's life.

Factory 195/75/15 tires too...tiny...and a 2.47 rear diff, and manual brakes, yes? This thing would have needed a 2.47 rear diff with 195 tires or it would have been a screamer on the highway.

ha, cool to know someone else was already modifying it. Where in the code does it show shift type? I missed that in the breakdown or didn't go far enough.

ha, cool to know someone else was already modifying it. Where in the code does it show shift type? I missed that in the breakdown or didn't go far enough.

If you look along the bottom of your certification label pictured above, you will see that there is a "C" under "Trans". This tells us that the truck originally had a column shift 3spd (three-on-the-tree). This was the only way the 3spd came, but the column shifters got sloppy when they wore, and parts have been obsolete for them since the 90's. It used to be a somewhat common mod to buy an aftermarket floor shifter conversion (Hurst made them, and I forget which others...there were a couple of them).

Under axle you see the "174"...I hadn't come across a 3 digit axle code before, but if I'm reading Gary's supplied charts correctly, the 17 indicates a 2.47 open rear diff, and the 4 after it indicates "Power Brake Delete". Interesting stuff.

I'm guessing this truck was a bare bones stripper with little to no options....maybe a radio, but not much else.

If you look along the bottom of your certification label pictured above, you will see that there is a "C" under "Trans". This tells us that the truck originally had a column shift 3spd (three-on-the-tree). This was the only way the 3spd came, but the column shifters got sloppy when they wore, and parts have been obsolete for them since the 90's. It used to be a somewhat common mod to buy an aftermarket floor shifter conversion (Hurst made them, and I forget which others...there were a couple of them).

Under axle you see the "174"...I hadn't come across a 3 digit axle code before, but if I'm reading Gary's supplied charts correctly, the 17 indicates a 2.47 open rear diff, and the 4 after it indicates "Power Brake Delete". Interesting stuff.

I'm guessing this truck was a bare bones stripper with little to no options....maybe a radio, but not much else.

Cory - I'm with you on the 17 being a 2.47 ratio. And while I am sure you are right, I don't see the bit about 4. Where is that? I put it somewhere, but where?

Cory - I'm with you on the 17 being a 2.47 ratio. And while I am sure you are right, I don't see the bit about 4. Where is that? I put it somewhere, but where?

Gary, it's up closer to the top on the axle ratios page...but it says it refers to the front axle? I know 2 and 3 are front axle, but this being a 2wd truck...

axle_codes.jpg.95c649493e1ad2fca06a0f9dd581aca0.jpg

Gary, it's up closer to the top on the axle ratios page...but it says it refers to the front axle? I know 2 and 3 are front axle, but this being a 2wd truck...

THANK YOU! I knew it sounded familiar, but looked right over it. :nabble_smiley_what: