Bullnose Forums

Gifted a project vehicle in OK condition by a buddy, after someone tried to STEAL her.

Can you elaborate on why Fred's shifter is soft going into first and reverse?

I've never had a SROD or RUG.

Do you have anything to add about mechanical clutches?

I never had a truck with one of those either.

I've never had one of those trannies either. But perhaps his clutch isn't fully releasing. Does first have synchros? Reverse doesn't, but second and third do.

A worn out manual linkage, or one that hasn't been properly adjusted, can easily drag even when the pedal is on the floor. That would cause shifting difficulties, and a gear with synchros would feel/shift differently than one w/o.

I've never had one of those trannies either. But perhaps his clutch isn't fully releasing. Does first have synchros? Reverse doesn't, but second and third do.

A worn out manual linkage, or one that hasn't been properly adjusted, can easily drag even when the pedal is on the floor. That would cause shifting difficulties, and a gear with synchros would feel/shift differently than one w/o.

Well, he said he 'needed a clutch or master/slave cylinder'

Do you have ideas or an instruction page on bringing the linkage up to snuff?

Ard,

already got the right radiator picked out, that thing has at least 4 pinholes I can see from sitting on the street so out it comes. a new one is only $180 at summit anyway.

I like your suggestion on the column. If I can find someone here with decent pricing that would be great, at $400 on ebay though a new column seemed pretty pricey when just the switches are $40 or so, for the vehicles I can find them on. a lock and cylinder/key set is only $60 or so. As far as changing the parts, If I can find new parts, 100% confident I can get the old one working again.

I'll clean up the block today and figure out if the leak is coming from that plate or not.

I wasn't aware these were still manual clutches, the only one I have worked on before was an 88 f150 which did have hydraulics there. I'll take a look at the plastic parts, but the pedal feels fine inside the truck I am thinking the issue is the clutch. My buddy who gave me this said he was having clutch issues when he parked it.

thanks so much for all the information and the warm welcome!

Rembrandt,

A rust check is on the list she is in good shape mostly with just a few rest spots on the body and it's bad in the bed. she was parked outside and downhill. but I am in Atlanta GA so the humidity is never not high.

As far as the exact transmission, not sure. is there a way I can find that by VIN or do I need to go look under the truck for a plate with info?

Gary,

Atlanta, GA. and GLad to be here! I think the hole was a rectangle. they physically broke out a piece of the casting an now it's impossible to tell what shape the hole was originally. looks like a keystone at this point.

If I'm reading the diagram right 7228 is broken, 7210 is missing (presumed dead lol), as well as the pin to connect them 390022-s2, and the lock cylinder of course. Everything else seems to work.

Ard,

already got the right radiator picked out, that thing has at least 4 pinholes I can see from sitting on the street so out it comes. a new one is only $180 at summit anyway.

I like your suggestion on the column. If I can find someone here with decent pricing that would be great, at $400 on ebay though a new column seemed pretty pricey when just the switches are $40 or so, for the vehicles I can find them on. a lock and cylinder/key set is only $60 or so. As far as changing the parts, If I can find new parts, 100% confident I can get the old one working again.

I'll clean up the block today and figure out if the leak is coming from that plate or not.

I wasn't aware these were still manual clutches, the only one I have worked on before was an 88 f150 which did have hydraulics there. I'll take a look at the plastic parts, but the pedal feels fine inside the truck I am thinking the issue is the clutch. My buddy who gave me this said he was having clutch issues when he parked it.

thanks so much for all the information and the warm welcome!

Rembrandt,

A rust check is on the list she is in good shape mostly with just a few rest spots on the body and it's bad in the bed. she was parked outside and downhill. but I am in Atlanta GA so the humidity is never not high.

As far as the exact transmission, not sure. is there a way I can find that by VIN or do I need to go look under the truck for a plate with info?

Gary,

Atlanta, GA. and GLad to be here! I think the hole was a rectangle. they physically broke out a piece of the casting an now it's impossible to tell what shape the hole was originally. looks like a keystone at this point.

If I'm reading the diagram right 7228 is broken, 7210 is missing (presumed dead lol), as well as the pin to connect them 390022-s2, and the lock cylinder of course. Everything else seems to work.

Fred, we have a few members in Atlanta.

Maybe they can help you out?

That's outrageous for a lock cylinder!

I replaced my set of three for $11.

(Wanted door and ign. the same)

You can get either -'80's or '90's- for that price.

****80's have a oval door key with the opposite cut as ignition.

90's have all one square key.

My work to revive the linkage on Dad's truck is chronicled in the ZF5 Swap thread starting about with this post.

As for the map, you are now officially on it. :nabble_smiley_good:

And, on the parts, I've just realized that the web page linked to above did not have the illustration for a fixed wheel column with floor shift. It does now and I've included it below. But, that changes the numbers of the parts you are missing. So, please try again from this drawing:

fixed-wheel-floor-shift-column.thumb.jpg.567817f7d45165f9350d272c2e6bd7d3.jpg

My work to revive the linkage on Dad's truck is chronicled in the ZF5 Swap thread starting about with this post.

And, on the parts, I've just realized that the web page linked to above did not have the illustration for a fixed wheel column with floor shift. It does now and I've included it below. But, that changes the numbers of the parts you are missing. So, please try again from this drawing:

Welcome!

Grumpin, thanks!

Gary, I was way off I guess 3790 and a piece of casting below is what's broken.

Oil leak is coming from the oil pan it seems. So I guess that's good only a $20 gasket.

I took a bunch of pictures to upload but there seems to be a five mb size limit?

Grumpin, thanks!

Gary, I was way off I guess 3790 and a piece of casting below is what's broken.

Oil leak is coming from the oil pan it seems. So I guess that's good only a $20 gasket.

I took a bunch of pictures to upload but there seems to be a five mb size limit?

When you go to upload a photo, choose the 'large' option.

It will automatically resize.

Do you mean 3511, and 3790?

Because 3511 is where the lock cylinder and turn signal stalk are. (Were! :nabble_smiley_uh:)

When you go to upload a photo, choose the 'large' option.

It will automatically resize.

Do you mean 3511, and 3790?

Because 3511 is where the lock cylinder and turn signal stalk are. (Were! :nabble_smiley_uh:)

Jim is right. But there are instructions on loading pics on the Bullnose Forum/Bullnose FAQ's page in the menu. And the limit is 1Mb not 5Mb.

Jim is right. But there are instructions on loading pics on the Bullnose Forum/Bullnose FAQ's page in the menu. And the limit is 1Mb not 5Mb.

Thanks Gary was using the file attachment button not image attachment.

IMG_20190705_153651.jpg.5bb03e10466d3857c86c9b659f6c6f54.jpg

Broken part on column. I assumed there was supposed to be a lever here from the diagrams I saw, apparently not according to the newest diagram Gary shared. Guess this is just a cover missing? I found the emergency switch taking the pictures. Feeling pretty dumb on that one lol.

IMG_20190705_153756.jpg.bb11bcad30974963e0f745fa78913137.jpg

Condition under the truck.

IMG_20190705_153806.jpg.1736081cb039b03d91cffbc7641b1ca4.jpg

Rusted out bed

IMG_20190705_153827.jpg.baa4e1dbd859e7c5b42907ee78674388.jpg