Bullnose Forums

What New Member Process Should We Use?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ok, now that we have the barn door shut on the spam 'bots, let's think about what the process should be for joining this forum. I've done some research and it appears that many Nabble forums are getting hit, so it isn't just us. And, maybe Nabble will implement something that will prevent it, but we don't know that they will.

So, please put your "new user" hat on and help us think through the best process via which they can gain access. And, remember that the goal of this site is to help others, so we need to balance how protective we want to be with how easy it is for them to join.

Toward that end I see three choices, as outlined below, with a fourth as "other".

I like hazing by dunking.

If they admit they're a witch burn them at the stake.

If they drown, they *were* a witch.

If they survive they can join.

No, really I'd go for #3 because we are aware that spam bots can all pass a Captcha now.

But if they pass Gary's Turing test they might as well be in

No, really I'd go for #3 because we are aware that spam bots can all pass a Captcha now.

Jim - I like your approach, but fear that there may be some backlash against us for drowning witches. After all, several visited our front door two days ago and no one seemed concerned, and they are all over television. 🤔

Anyway, it looks like 9 people have voted, but I can’t tell what they voted for. Perhaps the reveal doesn’t happen until the week is over so that people aren’t influenced. I guess we will wait and see.

Edit: I can see how they voted. Can y’all?

I second this motion! :nabble_anim_claps:

I'm up for the hazing too.. Old school, we need to quit babying the later generations..... :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I second this motion! :nabble_anim_claps:

I'm up for the hazing too.. Old school, we need to quit babying the later generations..... :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I'm for #3, as a newbie myself the information and help I have received is well worth a few minuets of my time. Having them supply as much information about their truck as possible, right from the start, saves a lot of guess work about what you are dealing with.

Knowing where to put the information and what would be most helpful, was the real issue for me, but everyone was very patient with me as I figured it out.

I'm for #3, as a newbie myself the information and help I have received is well worth a few minuets of my time. Having them supply as much information about their truck as possible, right from the start, saves a lot of guess work about what you are dealing with.

Knowing where to put the information and what would be most helpful, was the real issue for me, but everyone was very patient with me as I figured it out.

David - I’m not sure I understand. Saying “Having them supply as much information as possible right from the start” sounds like you are voting for #2. The intent was that the New Member area would be the only place they could post. And once they post about themselves and their truck I would make them a member.

But that still leaves the New Member area open to spam, and they could fill that up as easily as the normal posting area. So it doesn’t seem to help much, if any.

Anyway, did I misunderstand?

David - I’m not sure I understand. Saying “Having them supply as much information as possible right from the start” sounds like you are voting for #2. The intent was that the New Member area would be the only place they could post. And once they post about themselves and their truck I would make them a member.

But that still leaves the New Member area open to spam, and they could fill that up as easily as the normal posting area. So it doesn’t seem to help much, if any.

Anyway, did I misunderstand?

Gary, I reread the responses and I believe # 3 would be the way to go, so disregard everything past that. Just me overthinking a problem.

The bit about providing as much information as possible, is in response to so many times you and the other guys have had to ask for more information about the truck before an answer could be given. A lot of us newbie 's just don't realize how many different versions of the Bullnose there are.

Gary, I reread the responses and I believe # 3 would be the way to go, so disregard everything past that. Just me overthinking a problem.

The bit about providing as much information as possible, is in response to so many times you and the other guys have had to ask for more information about the truck before an answer could be given. A lot of us newbie 's just don't realize how many different versions of the Bullnose there are.

David - Ok, I understand. Thanks.

By the way folks, someone voted for "Some other process you suggest", but without suggesting the process. So I'm going to have to discount that vote unless said person tells us what the process should be. And believe me, I'd be happy to entertain another process. I just haven't thought of one.

David - Ok, I understand. Thanks.

By the way folks, someone voted for "Some other process you suggest", but without suggesting the process. So I'm going to have to discount that vote unless said person tells us what the process should be. And believe me, I'd be happy to entertain another process. I just haven't thought of one.

I told you what 'some other process' should be! :nabble_anim_blbl:

What don't you understand?