Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

Ok. Got it. I think this was the process:
  1. You requested membership
  2. You got an email saying "Dear User, Thank you for registering with Bullnose Enthusiasts. Please click on the confirmation link below to activate your account." And as soon as you did that you were able to post. (This was triggered by Jim approving your membership.)
  3. You then got an email from Jim saying "Welcome to the Bullnose Forum! Please read guidelines, below my signature...." And that was something that Jim sent you after he approved your membership.

If that's correct, then I see why Paul and others have been confused. They get approved and can post, and later they get an email that they may or may not see with additional instructions.

Obviously we need to move the instructions into the automated message than comes when we approve the membership and discontinue the extra email we've been sending.
Hopefully this will resolve this issue going forward.Gary, I know how upset you get when someone doesn't post in the welcome thread.I can assure you that I cut and paste, CC and fire off that boilerplate as quickly as possible.I did nothing different with Bill last night.A minute? Two at the outside.Having that in the automated reply would completely avoid the issue, but when I reply I also CC the rest of you so that you know that person has already been 'membered'.This is to avoid others going to the profile only to find the user has been signed up.Is there a way to have us all CC'd when the forum posts the confirmation email?

Hopefully this will resolve this issue going forward.

Gary, I know how upset you get when someone doesn't post in the welcome thread.

I can assure you that I cut and paste, CC and fire off that boilerplate as quickly as possible.

I did nothing different with Bill last night.

A minute? Two at the outside.

Having that in the automated reply would completely avoid the issue, but when I reply I also CC the rest of you so that you know that person has already been 'membered'.

This is to avoid others going to the profile only to find the user has been signed up.

Is there a way to have us all CC'd when the forum posts the confirmation email?

Jim - It is more that they didn't follow the directions than they didn't post in the New Members section. That may seem like a very small thing, but my thinking has been that if they aren't going to follow directions coming in then they aren't likely to follow the guidelines later.

In addition, having not gone to the New Members section they may well not even have seen the guidelines. In fact, one guy told us he'd never seen them - as we banned him.

As for each of us cc'ing the others, I don't think there's a way to do that. We'll all get the initial email when they register, and the first one that works it will see the Member box unchecked. And since it is usually the two of us doing it, I guess we'll just have to look and see if the box is ticked.

Unless I can figure out how to have us cc'd on that email that goes to the new user when we make him a member. Then we'd all know.

Thoughts?

Jim - It is more that they didn't follow the directions than they didn't post in the New Members section. That may seem like a very small thing, but my thinking has been that if they aren't going to follow directions coming in then they aren't likely to follow the guidelines later.

In addition, having not gone to the New Members section they may well not even have seen the guidelines. In fact, one guy told us he'd never seen them - as we banned him.

As for each of us cc'ing the others, I don't think there's a way to do that. We'll all get the initial email when they register, and the first one that works it will see the Member box unchecked. And since it is usually the two of us doing it, I guess we'll just have to look and see if the box is ticked.

Unless I can figure out how to have us cc'd on that email that goes to the new user when we make him a member. Then we'd all know.

Thoughts?

Well, having the autoconformation email ONLY direct them to the new members section will hopefully avoid that in the future.

As for the aforementioned individual... He was a narcissistic pusher of buttons.

I don't for a minute believe he never read the guidelines

No matter when there was trouble here he was at the center of it.

I feel for his wife.

I'm ok with not knowing ahead of time what groups a user is signed for.

I just don't want them to be waiting, as I usually just delete the request if I see you've responded.

Yes, it was my suggestion to have the autoreply CC'd to Admins.

Well, having the autoconformation email ONLY direct them to the new members section will hopefully avoid that in the future.

As for the aforementioned individual... He was a narcissistic pusher of buttons.

I don't for a minute believe he never read the guidelines

No matter when there was trouble here he was at the center of it.

I feel for his wife.

I'm ok with not knowing ahead of time what groups a user is signed for.

I just don't want them to be waiting, as I usually just delete the request if I see you've responded.

Yes, it was my suggestion to have the autoreply CC'd to Admins.

My friend Greg from the UK is helping me to design this. It's half 12 there, so hopefully he's in bed. But in the morning I'm hoping he can help me figure out how to put the link in to the New Members Start Here folder, and cc all of us moderators on the email back to the newbie. If we can do that then I can handle adding the text to the message.

I'm sure there will need to be some testing, which will be done on the Test Forum. But that's where y'all come in. The issue is that once an email address is used for a new member you can't re-use that address. So I'm going to be asking for volunteers to sign up to the test forum - when the time comes. (Please don't do it now!)

And, when we do it we'll need to do it one at a time. Someone will register, be approved, and get the email. Then post a screenshot of the email so I can see, and I'll make some changes and ask for a new volunteer.

:nabble_anim_working:

My friend Greg from the UK is helping me to design this. It's half 12 there, so hopefully he's in bed. But in the morning I'm hoping he can help me figure out how to put the link in to the New Members Start Here folder, and cc all of us moderators on the email back to the newbie. If we can do that then I can handle adding the text to the message.

I'm sure there will need to be some testing, which will be done on the Test Forum. But that's where y'all come in. The issue is that once an email address is used for a new member you can't re-use that address. So I'm going to be asking for volunteers to sign up to the test forum - when the time comes. (Please don't do it now!)

And, when we do it we'll need to do it one at a time. Someone will register, be approved, and get the email. Then post a screenshot of the email so I can see, and I'll make some changes and ask for a new volunteer.

:nabble_anim_working:

Burner emails are trivial.

Bobbybalogna@xyz or whatever...

Burner emails are trivial.

Bobbybalogna@xyz or whatever...

Ok folks, would one of you register for the test forum? Bullnose Forum/Test Forum in the menu.

Here's what should happen.

1. I get an email telling me you've registered.

2. I promote you to "member"

3. You get an email that says Thank you for registering with Test Forum!

Email Confirmation

Please click on the confirmation link below to activate your account:

4. After clicking the link you'll be taken to a page that says Registration Confirmed and then tells you to

click another link where you'll be taken to the New Members Start Here folder, etc Note that when you

click that link you should be taken to the New Members Start Here folder on this forum, not Test.

I will want to see the email and the page you were taken to, so please take screen shots and post them.

THANK YOU!

Ok folks, would one of you register for the test forum? Bullnose Forum/Test Forum in the menu.

Here's what should happen.

1. I get an email telling me you've registered.

2. I promote you to "member"

3. You get an email that says Thank you for registering with Test Forum!

Email Confirmation

Please click on the confirmation link below to activate your account:

4. After clicking the link you'll be taken to a page that says Registration Confirmed and then tells you to

click another link where you'll be taken to the New Members Start Here folder, etc Note that when you

click that link you should be taken to the New Members Start Here folder on this forum, not Test.

I will want to see the email and the page you were taken to, so please take screen shots and post them.

THANK YOU!

Nobody else has said anything, so I'm on it.

Nobody else has said anything, so I'm on it.

Thanks, Matthew! Just approved your request. You should have gotten the email with a link to click. I'd like to see the email, and then I'd like to see what the page looks like that says Congratulations after you click the link to confirm.

And hopefully you were then taken to the New Member folder.

:nabble_anim_jump:

Thanks, Matthew! Just approved your request. You should have gotten the email with a link to click. I'd like to see the email, and then I'd like to see what the page looks like that says Congratulations after you click the link to confirm.

And hopefully you were then taken to the New Member folder.

:nabble_anim_jump:

Matthew - I see that you've also requested to join the Test forum via a second email address. I'd like to wait to approve it until I tweak the macro a bit based on what I see from your screen shots on the first one. Then, after making the changes, I'll approve the second one and then you can show us what the changes begat.

Ok?

Matthew - I see that you've also requested to join the Test forum via a second email address. I'd like to wait to approve it until I tweak the macro a bit based on what I see from your screen shots on the first one. Then, after making the changes, I'll approve the second one and then you can show us what the changes begat.

Ok?

Well, the first registration you saw from me (for 'DorsaiTest') I mistakenly did from the email account I already use for the forum, so that may not be a very good test. Still, here's what happened...

I registered for the forum from the page in Bullnose Forum/Test Forum, and got the following screen in response:

testforum_0.png.7ce1c21227ebd5367653f0521ed53bfa.png

That email came in shortly, and looked like this:

testemail_1.png.3b105d27474ea74ceccd61e2367e58b1.png

Clicking that link took me here:

testforum_1.png.d4ae497bf43d41b3dd1250ed392eface.png

And clicking on the 'New Members Start Here' link took me here, as one would expect:

testforum_2.png.d583e20ec9f8675296e89c7f23f79b22.png

A couple of observations:

There was no mention of being promoted to 'member'...I don't know if that needs to be in there, or if that was a background action you took that generated the email message I shared above.

When I clicked on the link to take me to the New Members forum, you can see that my login switched to my regular account here - that's when I realized I screwed up and shouldn't have used my regular email to test with.

On the whole it looks pretty good!