Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

I'm not saying that those are my understandings. But it is an informed opinion arrived at by interviewing a lot of doctors and health-care professionals.

As for humans being to stupid, I don't think you should tar all humans with the same brush. I think the smartest will be the more likely to survive.

I don't tar every human with the same brush.

But! I'm going to say every human has a child, parent, neighbor, delivery person, someone... that IS stupid enough to be a vector.

And THAT might be the death of them.

Almost everything here is shutdown.

There is an 8:00 curfew.

Parks and beaches are posted and taped off.

And yet, I see *groups* of people stepping over the yellow tape to dog walk, bike, or whatever.

I'm not saying that those are my understandings. But it is an informed opinion arrived at by interviewing a lot of doctors and health-care professionals.

As for humans being to stupid, I don't think you should tar all humans with the same brush. I think the smartest will be the more likely to survive.

This is the most lucid and we'll informed article I've read lately.

https://www.wired.com/story/coronavirus-interview-larry-brilliant-smallpox-epidemiologist/

I don't tar every human with the same brush.

But! I'm going to say every human has a child, parent, neighbor, delivery person, someone... that IS stupid enough to be a vector.

And THAT might be the death of them.

Almost everything here is shutdown.

There is an 8:00 curfew.

Parks and beaches are posted and taped off.

And yet, I see *groups* of people stepping over the yellow tape to dog walk, bike, or whatever.

For most people this is a novelty, something to Twitter over or a reason to act like it's Black Friday at the stores. For some it's a major inconvenience or disruption, people who have lost income because of the 'cure'(a growing group no doubt). For the very few this is life or death. Probably only 1% of the population even knows anyone personally who has tested positive for the virus, never mind ended up in hospital. Until that number grows significantly you'll continue to see people ignore 'yellow tape'...

There probably are a whole lot more people who actually have had the virus, but we can't know that for sure.

And we really shouldn't lose perspective. Over 30000 people have died from flu this season and people still don't get vaccinated, are we really surprised when they ignore social distancing?

For most people this is a novelty, something to Twitter over or a reason to act like it's Black Friday at the stores. For some it's a major inconvenience or disruption, people who have lost income because of the 'cure'(a growing group no doubt). For the very few this is life or death. Probably only 1% of the population even knows anyone personally who has tested positive for the virus, never mind ended up in hospital. Until that number grows significantly you'll continue to see people ignore 'yellow tape'...

There probably are a whole lot more people who actually have had the virus, but we can't know that for sure.

And we really shouldn't lose perspective. Over 30000 people have died from flu this season and people still don't get vaccinated, are we really surprised when they ignore social distancing?

No, not surprised at all.

Exactly why I said humans are too stupid to act in their on self interest.

Mortality among those diagnosed is a few tenths above that of the 'Spanish' Flu pandemic of 100 years ago.

That was a perfect storm (of the time)

At the end of WWI, sick and worn down soldiers were billeted in cramped and unsanitary conditions before being returned home from Europe, around the globe.

Now international travel takes hours and airports are hubs where millions of travelers pass one another, use the same seat, toilet door handle, or personal belongings basket at security.

A month or two ago all this was business as usual.

It's not due to some great influx of residents of Wuhan.

It's the cost of living in a connected world.

No, not surprised at all.

Exactly why I said humans are too stupid to act in their on self interest.

Mortality among those diagnosed is a few tenths above that of the 'Spanish' Flu pandemic of 100 years ago.

That was a perfect storm (of the time)

At the end of WWI, sick and worn down soldiers were billeted in cramped and unsanitary conditions before being returned home from Europe, around the globe.

Now international travel takes hours and airports are hubs where millions of travelers pass one another, use the same seat, toilet door handle, or personal belongings basket at security.

A month or two ago all this was business as usual.

It's not due to some great influx of residents of Wuhan.

It's the cost of living in a connected world.

I was waiting for someone to mention the virus....

Jim, I think you are right in a lot of respects. However, sometimes what is perceived as stupidity is just inexperience. I know as a younger man I made a lot of bad decisions, and looking back I see them as stupid decision. However, I was just naive, not stupid. That is part of life, becoming less and less naive, and more and more jaded lol. I think the trick is not making the same mistake twice, and not allowing reality to steal your ability to be happy. But I agree, there ARE a lot of stupid people. And Gary is only half right. The smartest don't always survive, it is the most well adapted who survive. Smarts can help you adapt, but not always.

As for the virus, this IS bad. Maybe the virus is bad, but the economy situation is the worse part of it for the unprepared souls. Actually, if you haven't taken advantage of the stock market, you should.

Some of you know I have been prepping. I am prepared to sit this virus out an entire year off work if I have to. We have food, animals that give us food, water supply, $$ to pay the bills, and plenty of fresh air and sunshine! (Adapted)

I was waiting for someone to mention the virus....

Jim, I think you are right in a lot of respects. However, sometimes what is perceived as stupidity is just inexperience. I know as a younger man I made a lot of bad decisions, and looking back I see them as stupid decision. However, I was just naive, not stupid. That is part of life, becoming less and less naive, and more and more jaded lol. I think the trick is not making the same mistake twice, and not allowing reality to steal your ability to be happy. But I agree, there ARE a lot of stupid people. And Gary is only half right. The smartest don't always survive, it is the most well adapted who survive. Smarts can help you adapt, but not always.

As for the virus, this IS bad. Maybe the virus is bad, but the economy situation is the worse part of it for the unprepared souls. Actually, if you haven't taken advantage of the stock market, you should.

Some of you know I have been prepping. I am prepared to sit this virus out an entire year off work if I have to. We have food, animals that give us food, water supply, $$ to pay the bills, and plenty of fresh air and sunshine! (Adapted)

Ray,

I'm pointing out that it's not your naivety that is necessarily going to get you infected.

I could grab my go bag and as much as I could carry on my back and be fine for a good long time.

Eventually my potassium permanganate would run out and I'd have to boil water, but that would probably be a year away and by then I'd either be completely set up, or killed buy someone else (at long range) for what I had.

I'm not running to the hills.

But I'm not taking public transit either.

I don't have a family to watch over.

So that is liberating in a SHTF situation.

But (for me) it hasn't gotten there yet.

Not by a long shot.

Spring is here.

Food is plentiful in the wild.

Grocery stores aren't barren of produce and seeds can be grown, or shoots rooted.

(Always think of winter, and crops like tubers and frostproof greens like kale)

Ray,

I'm pointing out that it's not your naivety that is necessarily going to get you infected.

I could grab my go bag and as much as I could carry on my back and be fine for a good long time.

Eventually my potassium permanganate would run out and I'd have to boil water, but that would probably be a year away and by then I'd either be completely set up, or killed buy someone else (at long range) for what I had.

I'm not running to the hills.

But I'm not taking public transit either.

I don't have a family to watch over.

So that is liberating in a SHTF situation.

But (for me) it hasn't gotten there yet.

Not by a long shot.

Spring is here.

Food is plentiful in the wild.

Grocery stores aren't barren of produce and seeds can be grown, or shoots rooted.

(Always think of winter, and crops like tubers and frostproof greens like kale)

Hey Jim!

Yeah, Ive been growing survival food for awhile now. Raising chickens. Canning. Etc. Ive enlisted my widowed grandmother (82) and my widowed mother to help in the garden this year. Starting seeds and prepping beds now! Weve got 1 full year of chicken manure compost seasoned also.

Hey Jim!

Yeah, Ive been growing survival food for awhile now. Raising chickens. Canning. Etc. Ive enlisted my widowed grandmother (82) and my widowed mother to help in the garden this year. Starting seeds and prepping beds now! Weve got 1 full year of chicken manure compost seasoned also.

I dont think we will reach true SHTF by the way. Thats why I am buying stocks like candy.

Hey Jim!

I don't think global society will either.

But there certainly may be pockets (and I'm less than 50mi from Manhattan)

Growing your own food is just common sense.

Watching my Nona slave over a range full of boiling cauldrons all summer and fall put me off to canning everything I might need all through the seasons, but I have no need for produce 8 mo. out of the year.

Hey Jim!

Weve got 1 full year of chicken manure compost seasoned also.

You're just a chicken $#!+ individual, Ray! :nabble_anim_blbl: