Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

And therein lies the difference.

Whether you choose to be engaged in what you're doing, or want to just be along for the ride.

I dislike my gearbox when stuck in traffic, but whenever driving an automatic my left foot is constantly looking for something to do.

I have driven both in heavy traffic, coming back from an event in Virginia Beach on I-64 through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (referred to by locals as just HRBT) and driving a distance of maybe 6 miles in 45 min or more in my GT350, my left leg would be shaking by the time we got through the HRBT an into Hampton.

When my best friend bought his 1995 F350 CCB DRW truck he had me drive his 2000 Corvette back to York County and then he brought me back to Exmore. I had some choice words as the HRBT was showing a near 10 mile backup and we went around on I-64 to I-664 to use the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel (It crosses just about where they engaged). The High Rise bridge on I-64 has 3 lanes coming into it, but is only 2 lanes from the bridge entry to the end of I-64, we crept along for about 4 miles with me mumbling about damn Chevy and their 6 speed manual with the blocker for 3-4, sometimes I could use 3rd, other times, I was forced to skip to 5th. Good thing about it, nearly 31 mpg cruising at 65-70.

I have driven both in heavy traffic, coming back from an event in Virginia Beach on I-64 through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (referred to by locals as just HRBT) and driving a distance of maybe 6 miles in 45 min or more in my GT350, my left leg would be shaking by the time we got through the HRBT an into Hampton.

When my best friend bought his 1995 F350 CCB DRW truck he had me drive his 2000 Corvette back to York County and then he brought me back to Exmore. I had some choice words as the HRBT was showing a near 10 mile backup and we went around on I-64 to I-664 to use the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel (It crosses just about where they engaged). The High Rise bridge on I-64 has 3 lanes coming into it, but is only 2 lanes from the bridge entry to the end of I-64, we crept along for about 4 miles with me mumbling about damn Chevy and their 6 speed manual with the blocker for 3-4, sometimes I could use 3rd, other times, I was forced to skip to 5th. Good thing about it, nearly 31 mpg cruising at 65-70.

Mom had a 1999 vette. 4L60e. It was a lot of fun turning off traction control and launching that C5. Mom and dad could never understand why the rear tires didnt last very long, or why the front brake rotors always stayed warped.....:nabble_smiley_wink:

Bill - I well remember the Terribleglide and the Dynaflush. Dad's Buicks had the latter, and a friend with a Tri-Power 348 in a '60 Chevy had the former.

Dad was a Buick man, huh? Did he ever have one of these?

f9474c4378f5b9ef4c03dfc31e4f38b7.jpg.949b02e64cb0b80079ac8d18d50707f0.jpg

I've just about settled on a '60 Invicta like the above as my next car...if I can find one in the right condition for the right price.

Bill - I well remember the Terribleglide and the Dynaflush. Dad's Buicks had the latter, and a friend with a Tri-Power 348 in a '60 Chevy had the former.

I've just about settled on a '60 Invicta like the above as my next car...if I can find one in the right condition for the right price.

Now that’s a car! Wowza!

No, he skipped from '57 to '64. But friends down the street had one of the 1960 Buicks, but not the Invicta. Those are really cool looking! And with the 401 it would fly - although not too swiftly off the line.

Now that’s a car! Wowza!

Isn't it, though? And check out the interior:

1960-buick-invicta.thumb.jpg.b52686d6367e768203fcedda0196a210.jpg

The coolest thing about that dashboard is that what you see as the speedometer is actually a mirror, which reflects the image of the actual speedometer laying horizontally below your line of sight. The idea is that the angle of the mirror could be adjusted for the height of the driver, giving a perfect viewing angle.

So if you ever find an old Buick speedometer with all the numbers reversed, you now know why. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Now that’s a car! Wowza!

Isn't it, though? And check out the interior:

The coolest thing about that dashboard is that what you see as the speedometer is actually a mirror, which reflects the image of the actual speedometer laying horizontally below your line of sight. The idea is that the angle of the mirror could be adjusted for the height of the driver, giving a perfect viewing angle.

So if you ever find an old Buick speedometer with all the numbers reversed, you now know why. :nabble_smiley_happy:

That is cool!

Great story isn't it? I've been following it along a little bit. I was a crazy Steve McQueen fan as a kid, and have been ever since. All because of Bullitt and the Bullitt Mustang. It was one of the best sounding cars I had ever heard...I can't remember if it was straight piped or what, but the sound was intoxicating.

Unfortunately for us Ford fans, the car itself was a bit of a turd as a pursuit car...lol. If you read any of the behind the scenes story, the 440 4spd Charger would walk away from the 390 Mustang like it was parked. One of the reasons they left the skinny tires on the Charger was to handicap it against the Mustang. At the end of the day, it didn't matter. They were two very iconic cars though, and were (and still are) universally loved by all.

By the way, that Mustang is going up for auction next month on Mecum. I think there is a big auction going on in Kissimmee starting a month from today.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-397388/1968-ford-mustang-gt-bullitt/

Great story isn't it? I've been following it along a little bit. I was a crazy Steve McQueen fan as a kid, and have been ever since. All because of Bullitt and the Bullitt Mustang. It was one of the best sounding cars I had ever heard...I can't remember if it was straight piped or what, but the sound was intoxicating.

Unfortunately for us Ford fans, the car itself was a bit of a turd as a pursuit car...lol. If you read any of the behind the scenes story, the 440 4spd Charger would walk away from the 390 Mustang like it was parked. One of the reasons they left the skinny tires on the Charger was to handicap it against the Mustang. At the end of the day, it didn't matter. They were two very iconic cars though, and were (and still are) universally loved by all.

By the way, that Mustang is going up for auction next month on Mecum. I think there is a big auction going on in Kissimmee starting a month from today.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-397388/1968-ford-mustang-gt-bullitt/

It is! I saw the auction news, thought maybe they changed their mind. Hadn’t heard that the Charger would walk away from it, (blasphemy!:nabble_smiley_grin:), what cool cars!