Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

Which is why I said it doesn't fit your use case today

.If a comfortable EV at a comparable price to Janey's Merc had 500 mile range would you consider it?

What if you only made 1 or 2 planned trips a year?

Would you consider renting an ice for those occasions?

A range of 500 miles would have worked for the most recent trip, and probably would have for the one a few years ago to the back-of-beyond in Colorado. However the re-charging strategy would have to have been developed before leaving as we went from here to Raton NM, which is 515 miles by the shortest route and we didn't go exactly that way. So we would have had to re-charge in Woodward along the way.

So if an electric vehicle with a 500 mile range was comparably priced and a reasonable infrastructure was in place we would consider it if we were in the market for a new vehicle - which we aren't and don't plan to be for many years, if ever.

But renting adds significant cost to a vacation. So the only way that math works is if the cost of ownership, including fuel and maintenance, of the EV is sufficiently lower than that of the ICE to cover the difference. I've not put finger to keyboard to figure that out, but it might be possible.

However, we may be mixing terminology. I said "unplanned" and you said "planned". My meaning was that we planned to go but weren't exactly sure where. In the latest trip we knew were were leaving on a given day and had no reservations until the next night in New Orleans. But we wanted to travel the back roads through SE OK and into LA. Then, along the way we decided to head for Monroe and go to Natchez the next day and from there to New Orleans. And with this scenario an EV currently doesn't work. But renting an ICE would. Is that what you meant?

A range of 500 miles would have worked for the most recent trip, and probably would have for the one a few years ago to the back-of-beyond in Colorado. However the re-charging strategy would have to have been developed before leaving as we went from here to Raton NM, which is 515 miles by the shortest route and we didn't go exactly that way. So we would have had to re-charge in Woodward along the way.

So if an electric vehicle with a 500 mile range was comparably priced and a reasonable infrastructure was in place we would consider it if we were in the market for a new vehicle - which we aren't and don't plan to be for many years, if ever.

But renting adds significant cost to a vacation. So the only way that math works is if the cost of ownership, including fuel and maintenance, of the EV is sufficiently lower than that of the ICE to cover the difference. I've not put finger to keyboard to figure that out, but it might be possible.

However, we may be mixing terminology. I said "unplanned" and you said "planned". My meaning was that we planned to go but weren't exactly sure where. In the latest trip we knew were were leaving on a given day and had no reservations until the next night in New Orleans. But we wanted to travel the back roads through SE OK and into LA. Then, along the way we decided to head for Monroe and go to Natchez the next day and from there to New Orleans. And with this scenario an EV currently doesn't work. But renting an ICE would. Is that what you meant?

It is.

Cost of ownership is well addressed by lack of ongoing maintenance and the much smaller cost per mile over gasoline.

It is.

Cost of ownership is well addressed by lack of ongoing maintenance and the much smaller cost per mile over gasoline.

Electric cars = NO VROOM VROOM. I dont care how fast it is, if it doesnt make me feel like a million bucks, I dont spend money on it.

I totally understand the utility. I dont drive for utility. I drive for enjoyment. Electric jelly beans dont make sense for ME. I need toxic fumes, stinky grease, and parts to replace. Its just in my soul I guess.

I will appreciate the tech, but I dont have to pay for it.

"Recent breakthroughs in chemistry and physics have made the creation of hydrogen with electrolysis very economical and greenhouse gas free."

Absolute BS.

When the laws of thermodynamics are broken, you let me know. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

We'll all be flying around like the Jetsons, and nobody will need hydrogen as a combustible fuel.

what if your powering those coils creating the hydrogen with solar power?

That's why building a new vehicle these days is annoying. I know what I want in a truck, so don't tell me I have to delete this to get that, or add this package to get this specific option. I want a bare bones truck with a few extra options that suit my needs, not what Ford or Dodge thinks I need.

"Recent breakthroughs in chemistry and physics have made the creation of hydrogen with electrolysis very economical and greenhouse gas free."

Absolute BS.

When the laws of thermodynamics are broken, you let me know. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

We'll all be flying around like the Jetsons, and nobody will need hydrogen as a combustible fuel.

what if your powering those coils creating the hydrogen with solar power?

Where is the "recent breakthroughs in chemistry and physics"

Selenium solar cells have been around since the 1800's.

Electrolysis longer than that.

Water hasn't changed in billions of years.

Nothing in that sentence is true, unless you're buying into some of Kellyann's 'Alternative Truths'....

That's why building a new vehicle these days is annoying. I know what I want in a truck, so don't tell me I have to delete this to get that, or add this package to get this specific option. I want a bare bones truck with a few extra options that suit my needs, not what Ford or Dodge thinks I need.

Shaun,

I agree with you 100%>

Truth is Dodge or Ford often won't put in the harness for Z unless you get X and Y as well.

Stripes, trim, mirrors, whatever.. they want to profit on the bling that accompanies the functional part, and they're not going to hear your pleas through the dealer network that profits from it too.

Shaun,

I agree with you 100%>

Truth is Dodge or Ford often won't put in the harness for Z unless you get X and Y as well.

Stripes, trim, mirrors, whatever.. they want to profit on the bling that accompanies the functional part, and they're not going to hear your pleas through the dealer network that profits from it too.

Nope, and that's why I'm building a thirty year old F350 so that I can put harness X with harness Y and get package B without having to also add package C. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Amen to that.

Amen to that.