Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

Thousands of people are defeated, with no clue how to get out of their defeat. Not long ago, these people simply didn't survive long. Part of the reason this is a problem, is because we have been fed this idea of B.S. that we are supposed to seek comfort.

:nabble_anim_working:

I'd add to this by saying that the reason people are seeking comfort is the incorrect belief that they are entitled to it.:nabble_smiley_wink:

I listen to the Joe Rogan podcast quite often. I get a little tired of the comedians after a while but I always tune in if he has somebody interesting on.

One of my favorite quotes from his Podcast, and I can't remember who the guest was, is this:

"A man has two lives to live. The second one starts the moment he realizes he only has one."

But back to you point, yes, we do need a purpose. It goes a long way in explaining the amount of people that lose interest in a project once it's finished...lol. Or when the destination of a trip is less memorable than traveling to get there. I'm sure there are enough retired guys on here that can confirm how important it is to have something to fill your day after you're done working. I have a couple relatives that are currently going through this...they are both guys who were dedicated to their work...so much so it was part of their identity. All of a sudden, they're finished work and they're lost. I think it's the same thing for the younger ones when the factory leaves a small town, or when your life is simply made too easy for you.

Ray, if you're a Podcast guy, check out Econtalk with Russ Roberts. His most recent one (Yesterday) is about manufacturing in the US...a little different take on the topic from the usual narrative. I haven't listened to it yet because I have about 400 miles to do tomorrow and I'm saving it;).

Thousands of people are defeated, with no clue how to get out of their defeat. Not long ago, these people simply didn't survive long. Part of the reason this is a problem, is because we have been fed this idea of B.S. that we are supposed to seek comfort.

:nabble_anim_working:

I'd add to this by saying that the reason people are seeking comfort is the incorrect belief that they are entitled to it.:nabble_smiley_wink:

I listen to the Joe Rogan podcast quite often. I get a little tired of the comedians after a while but I always tune in if he has somebody interesting on.

One of my favorite quotes from his Podcast, and I can't remember who the guest was, is this:

"A man has two lives to live. The second one starts the moment he realizes he only has one."

But back to you point, yes, we do need a purpose. It goes a long way in explaining the amount of people that lose interest in a project once it's finished...lol. Or when the destination of a trip is less memorable than traveling to get there. I'm sure there are enough retired guys on here that can confirm how important it is to have something to fill your day after you're done working. I have a couple relatives that are currently going through this...they are both guys who were dedicated to their work...so much so it was part of their identity. All of a sudden, they're finished work and they're lost. I think it's the same thing for the younger ones when the factory leaves a small town, or when your life is simply made too easy for you.

Ray, if you're a Podcast guy, check out Econtalk with Russ Roberts. His most recent one (Yesterday) is about manufacturing in the US...a little different take on the topic from the usual narrative. I haven't listened to it yet because I have about 400 miles to do tomorrow and I'm saving it;).

Cory, Yes, I listen to Joe Rogan a lot. I dont always agree with him, but he gets the most interesting people in the world on his show. I wish he'd clean his mouth up a little, but I am a grown man, I can listen around that.

Im still pretty young (33), so maybe some of the profound epiphical moments I might share in here, are old news to some of you older guys.

I do believe Ive read a Gary Lewis statement somewhere about his dads truck restoration being not about the final product, but the journey and challenge to get there.

This does seem to shed a lot of light on my constant desire for new adventures. My wife thinks I am fickle, but I think its natural.

Cory, Yes, I listen to Joe Rogan a lot. I dont always agree with him, but he gets the most interesting people in the world on his show. I wish he'd clean his mouth up a little, but I am a grown man, I can listen around that.

Im still pretty young (33), so maybe some of the profound epiphical moments I might share in here, are old news to some of you older guys.

I do believe Ive read a Gary Lewis statement somewhere about his dads truck restoration being not about the final product, but the journey and challenge to get there.

This does seem to shed a lot of light on my constant desire for new adventures. My wife thinks I am fickle, but I think its natural.

I agree with the point of your childhood shaping your adult life. I grew up with a single mom that dated a few people, but never settled with anybody new. I'm an only child, with a very distant family so I barely know any of them. It was basically my mom and I when I was growing up. She did her best to raise me and I never went without. Even with that we never really grew close, I remember spending a lot of time by myself as a kid. I had friends in school, and in the activities my mom enrolled me in, but I never spent much one on one time with either of my parents. I've noticed in the last few years that I've grown to be fiercely independent, and find that I prefer being alone and grow weary of people very easily. I've dated my fair share of women, but I always find myself feeling restless. I don't know if it's just the type of people I come across, or if maybe I just prefer to do my own thing. But I can definitely say that I believe my childhood experience had a huge impact on who I am today and it's very hard to stray from what I know best.

I agree with the point of your childhood shaping your adult life. I grew up with a single mom that dated a few people, but never settled with anybody new. I'm an only child, with a very distant family so I barely know any of them. It was basically my mom and I when I was growing up. She did her best to raise me and I never went without. Even with that we never really grew close, I remember spending a lot of time by myself as a kid. I had friends in school, and in the activities my mom enrolled me in, but I never spent much one on one time with either of my parents. I've noticed in the last few years that I've grown to be fiercely independent, and find that I prefer being alone and grow weary of people very easily. I've dated my fair share of women, but I always find myself feeling restless. I don't know if it's just the type of people I come across, or if maybe I just prefer to do my own thing. But I can definitely say that I believe my childhood experience had a huge impact on who I am today and it's very hard to stray from what I know best.

Shaun, yes. Its nature vs nurture. But its also all in our heads. I grew up opposite that. Two parent household, who were high school sweethearts. Spent loads of time with my dad. However, I was the only boy. Two sisters. I also spent a lot of time playing by myself. Ive always had a natural tendency to be on my own (my nature). My nurture (parental examples) was to be social....and I followed the example set for me. I married youngish (23) and had kids fast. I didnt fully understand myself until about 26. Im now 33, and constantly struggling with my inner desire to do my own thing. I love my wife, and my children. However, my nature is one of adventure and going it alone. I often feel tied down. Then I have guilt, because I should be more thankful for my family. Its a constant back and forth, trying to keep the balance. But, its all just in my head. I do have control over my nature and my nurture. The more I stuggle with both, the more mentally capable I am to control both.

If your lifestyle matches your nature, appreciate that freedom.

Shaun, yes. Its nature vs nurture. But its also all in our heads. I grew up opposite that. Two parent household, who were high school sweethearts. Spent loads of time with my dad. However, I was the only boy. Two sisters. I also spent a lot of time playing by myself. Ive always had a natural tendency to be on my own (my nature). My nurture (parental examples) was to be social....and I followed the example set for me. I married youngish (23) and had kids fast. I didnt fully understand myself until about 26. Im now 33, and constantly struggling with my inner desire to do my own thing. I love my wife, and my children. However, my nature is one of adventure and going it alone. I often feel tied down. Then I have guilt, because I should be more thankful for my family. Its a constant back and forth, trying to keep the balance. But, its all just in my head. I do have control over my nature and my nurture. The more I stuggle with both, the more mentally capable I am to control both.

If your lifestyle matches your nature, appreciate that freedom.

Agreed 100%

Posting this picture for no reason in particular other than I came across it while looking for other stuff. Picture was taken 25 years ago. It was my daily driver at the time, and the one vehicle I always missed (which is why I'm here today).

image5.jpeg.2a10e9177b7532edca8eaff538337c4f.jpeg

I'm sure it is long long gone now, probably crushed 20 years ago. If it still exists, I wish I knew where it was.

I've seen people on Facebook trying to track down vehicles that were sold many years prior, and surprisingly some of them do turn up. Of course they're usually somewhat collectible vehicles that people would take care of anyway. Old trucks rarely got that treatment around here unfortunately. They were used and abused.

Posting this picture for no reason in particular other than I came across it while looking for other stuff. Picture was taken 25 years ago. It was my daily driver at the time, and the one vehicle I always missed (which is why I'm here today).

I'm sure it is long long gone now, probably crushed 20 years ago. If it still exists, I wish I knew where it was.

I've seen people on Facebook trying to track down vehicles that were sold many years prior, and surprisingly some of them do turn up. Of course they're usually somewhat collectible vehicles that people would take care of anyway. Old trucks rarely got that treatment around here unfortunately. They were used and abused.

Get me the vin number. If it still exists, I can likely find it. I found an old chevy my dad rode me around in when I was a kid.