Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

Big Blue was not born that way! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

He's gonna need to meet Darth some day. They will have a lot in common.

I believe Darth and Big Blue remind me of the advertisements regarding pets at shelters which are: looking for their Fordever homes. :nabble_smiley_grin:

I believe Darth and Big Blue remind me of the advertisements regarding pets at shelters which are: looking for their Fordever homes. :nabble_smiley_grin:

Considering that this past April it was 25 years ago I bought Darth. He was purchased to tow our 30' 5th wheel trailer. And I think the 3 day a week part time "mechanic" that Gordonsville VA Ford had, may have retired to Florida as the workmanship on Big Blue reminds me of what I found on Darth. Holley accelerator pump lever wasn't even touching anything, oil filter base bolt was loose, heater return fitting had apparetly leaked, the swivel fitting was brazed together, timing cover bolts were loose. Between them and the oil filter base, the 1982 Horizon I drove up there with a tow bar on it was well lubricated by the time I got to Suffolk.

The gentleman I bought him from knew nothing about working on him and wasn't too good at driving him either, both front fenders were bent and the dually fenders were cracked, and the back part of one was in the bed.

Considering that this past April it was 25 years ago I bought Darth. He was purchased to tow our 30' 5th wheel trailer. And I think the 3 day a week part time "mechanic" that Gordonsville VA Ford had, may have retired to Florida as the workmanship on Big Blue reminds me of what I found on Darth. Holley accelerator pump lever wasn't even touching anything, oil filter base bolt was loose, heater return fitting had apparetly leaked, the swivel fitting was brazed together, timing cover bolts were loose. Between them and the oil filter base, the 1982 Horizon I drove up there with a tow bar on it was well lubricated by the time I got to Suffolk.

The gentleman I bought him from knew nothing about working on him and wasn't too good at driving him either, both front fenders were bent and the dually fenders were cracked, and the back part of one was in the bed.

Yeah, I think he retired to Florida. I took the oil filter adapter off Big Blue's engine today to ensure that I don't sell it with that on. (I may put Huck's water/oil cooler adapter on.) Anyway, I looked at that bolt and thought "Maybe I'd better get the impact." But instead I tried and it spun off easily - too easily.

Is that a problem with 460's, that the adapters loosen?

Yeah, I think he retired to Florida. I took the oil filter adapter off Big Blue's engine today to ensure that I don't sell it with that on. (I may put Huck's water/oil cooler adapter on.) Anyway, I looked at that bolt and thought "Maybe I'd better get the impact." But instead I tried and it spun off easily - too easily.

Yes, particularly with the fiber washer the 1983-87 adapter used. Since the filter hangs at an angle, eventually road shock can loosen it. The oil to water cooler has a tab to keep it from moving since it is quite a bit heavier. I, so far, haven't had a problem with the oil to air cooler adapter, it has O-rings on both ends (inner and outer) and I do check it when changing oil.

Yes, particularly with the fiber washer the 1983-87 adapter used. Since the filter hangs at an angle, eventually road shock can loosen it. The oil to water cooler has a tab to keep it from moving since it is quite a bit heavier. I, so far, haven't had a problem with the oil to air cooler adapter, it has O-rings on both ends (inner and outer) and I do check it when changing oil.

What about using Loctite blue when installing the adapter?

It happens.

But it's usually just the Banjo bolt, not the adapter in the block.

Look at how the filter is cantilevered at 8:00.

Now hammer that thing every time the springs eat up their 3/4" of travel.

What do YOU think is going to happen?

It happens.

But it's usually just the Banjo bolt, not the adapter in the block.

Look at how the filter is cantilevered at 8:00.

Now hammer that thing every time the springs eat up their 3/4" of travel.

What do YOU think is going to happen?

Yes, I was actually thinking of the banjo bolt. Even though my springs better have lots more than 3/4" of travel.