Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

That's cool! Sounds like those were good engines. Not a lot of turbos were cooled till later on.

Some of the piston aircraft engine turbos I used to work on had no cooling. Smart owner/pilots would let them idle for 5 or 10 minutes to let the turbo spool down.

If they didn't the turbos would coke up and the waste gates would stick.

If the turbos coked up bad they would get rebuilt.

My old boss found out that the old Mopar Heat Valve Solvent worked well on the waste gates. We would soak them and then hit them with a rivet gun on a piece of wood.

Most of the time that cured them. Those engines were turbo dependent so no turbo, no power.

The turbo diesels in the M54s had a note to idle them for a bit after a highway run, I don't remember the exact time, but it was several minutes if I remember correctly. Having driven my Shelby with the heater casing out while waiting for a new heater core, I saw how hot the headers got, the visible portion of the #4 pipe was yellow/orange down into red at 55-60 mph, or around 3000 rpm.

The Chrysler turbos on the 2.2/2.5L and even the newer 2.4L are on the back side of the transverse engine and the firewall has a heat shield behind that area.

The turbo diesels in the M54s had a note to idle them for a bit after a highway run, I don't remember the exact time, but it was several minutes if I remember correctly. Having driven my Shelby with the heater casing out while waiting for a new heater core, I saw how hot the headers got, the visible portion of the #4 pipe was yellow/orange down into red at 55-60 mph, or around 3000 rpm.

The Chrysler turbos on the 2.2/2.5L and even the newer 2.4L are on the back side of the transverse engine and the firewall has a heat shield behind that area.

With the energy that impeller is harvesting it's little wonder the housing and pipes get screaming hot.

I'm not going to rehash trying to explain it to Rusty, because I know you know...

Turbos do make an effective muffler😉

The whole "Loud pipes save lives" crowd don't seem to get that sound (pressure waves) is just energy wasted on the environment.

It's not just flow that drives the turbine.

If the turbo's shaft were well instrumented you could actually see the power pulses. :nabble_anim_rules:

Yeah, they get hot!

I remember the first time I flew in one at night and saw the glow through the louvers in the engine cowl.

Speaking of people relying on safety devices too much, I’m sitting now in a Lyft taxi to go to the airport.

- the driver doesn’t know how to drive. Uses her blind spot monitor on her 2020 ford edge to blindly change lanes.

- the driver has no clue that her rear left wheel bearing is going out. Car has about 120k miles and probably due for some lube/maintenance and I tried explaining to her (she doesn’t understand English well)… she told me I had 22 miles to go to the airport. I’m here hearing the wo-wo-wo-wo but I have a flight to catch :nabble_smiley_cry:

Update: was able to use google translate to tell her that she needs to pay attention to the rear wheels

What language does your Lyft driver speak?

I'm constantly amazed at how dangerously worn/broken vehicles are driven on the road.

While a lot of people will rail against safety inspections, before my leg went bad I would see the aftermath of neglect and ignorance every night.

It's terrifying

Hey guys, my new fuel valve came in. Hopefully it's big enough to feed a 460:

A 460 on steroids, for sure!

Are you going to do it like Ford did in the 70's with the stem sticking through the floor where the driver's left hand would reach it beside the seat? And how are you switching the gauge - with the old switch?

A 460 on steroids, for sure!

Are you going to do it like Ford did in the 70's with the stem sticking through the floor where the driver's left hand would reach it beside the seat? And how are you switching the gauge - with the old switch?

Ordered this one by mistake. I'll do a full wrote up on it when it's done.

Corn crop was a total loss, but the peanuts did arright.

They don't call us the goober state for nothin.

I want to boil them up right now! (haven't had a fresh peanut in decades 😋)

Near 50 years ago we had a peanut farmer in the White House.

The '76 elections were contentious, but I'm glad that a cool headed submarine commander from Plains, GA kept the cold war from becoming a hot war (where MAD was not far from reality)

I don't mean this to be a political post. So, Gary, if you think it comes close feel free to nuke it! 😉

Ordered this one by mistake. I'll do a full wrote up on it when it's done.

The book specifies 60 GPH for a 460, which is plenty for almost any horsepower we're likely to get in a streetable engine (if you look at a fuel requirement by horsepower table)

Obviously the port size in your valve depends somewhat on the pressure your pumps provide,

Straight through spool or ball valves don't cause any obstruction to flow.