Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

Yes but those are also an iron block, and probably not running as much boost as an Ecobust.

New 2.7L eco boost (2018+) I will stay away from due to the following engineering innovations

- one time use oil pan !! $$$

- oil pump runs on a rubber belt. I can see how ugly this can become on a 20 year old vehicle where someone uses a leak seal / rubber softening additive and ends up eating up the belt. Even the wrong kind of oil can allegedly have long term effects on the belt.

And what’s up with manufacturers doing non-keyed crankshaft/sprockets anyway .. (Ford diesels)

Yes but those are also an iron block, and probably not running as much boost as an Ecobust.

I was running 14 psi, limited by the 2 bar MAP sensor, current tune will allow me to go to 15 psi, if I go to a 3 bar and change the tune to run it I can go to 30 psi the block and internals will take it, transaxle would be the limiting factor then.

At 14, estimated HP was 200 out of a 135 ci engine. At it's stock boost level of 12 psi it was rated 175 hp. FWIW, Carrol Shelby was involved in the development of it, he sort of owed Lee Iaccoca a return favor for the Cobra and Shelby Mustangs.

I was running 14 psi, limited by the 2 bar MAP sensor, current tune will allow me to go to 15 psi, if I go to a 3 bar and change the tune to run it I can go to 30 psi the block and internals will take it, transaxle would be the limiting factor then.

At 14, estimated HP was 200 out of a 135 ci engine. At it's stock boost level of 12 psi it was rated 175 hp. FWIW, Carrol Shelby was involved in the development of it, he sort of owed Lee Iaccoca a return favor for the Cobra and Shelby Mustangs.

Bill, did those engines have cooling for the turbo? Oil or coolant?

Or an aftercooler?

Or an aftercooler?

I’ve been lounging in Big Blue 2WD for the past 20 minutes waiting for Walmart to fulfill my curbside pickup order for some brake fluid and brake cleaner. I usually don’t do curbside.

While waiting I observed all vehicles idling here in Texas heat with AC on, except me. I don’t believe I would idle that long even if I had AC as I know that is worst case scenario for a lot of reasons.

But I also don’t have AC so I’m already accustomed to the weather. I feel like I’m doing good saving gas on my old truck here, not idling it away :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Or an aftercooler?

They have a charge air cooler (which reduces the radiator size). Turbo bearing housing is water cooled, primarily via thermo-syphon after shutting down. Lee Iaccoca wanted them to be fool proof as it was primarily due to the lack of a V6 to compete with Ford and GM that the original Turbo I engines were released in 1984. They had all mechanical controls, in 1985 Chrysler started the computer controls.

The Chrysler engine controls evolved from the first 2 part systems (Logic module inside the car and a Power module underhood) in 1983, to a SMEC (Single Module Engine Controller) in 1988 that still had the same design as the earlier system just all in one case and then to an SBEC in 1990-91 (Single Board Engine Controller) followed by a more powerful SBECII in 1992.

They have a charge air cooler (which reduces the radiator size). Turbo bearing housing is water cooled, primarily via thermo-syphon after shutting down. Lee Iaccoca wanted them to be fool proof as it was primarily due to the lack of a V6 to compete with Ford and GM that the original Turbo I engines were released in 1984. They had all mechanical controls, in 1985 Chrysler started the computer controls.

The Chrysler engine controls evolved from the first 2 part systems (Logic module inside the car and a Power module underhood) in 1983, to a SMEC (Single Module Engine Controller) in 1988 that still had the same design as the earlier system just all in one case and then to an SBEC in 1990-91 (Single Board Engine Controller) followed by a more powerful SBECII in 1992.

Today was an interesting day! I took the afternoon off and Lesley and I went to the Minnesota State Fair. For those of you who don't know the Minnesota State Fair, Minnesota and Texas argue about which state has the largest state fair in the nation. Texas has more attendees total, but it also runs more days. Minnesota has more attendees per day than Texas. OK, even as a Minnesotan I guess I need to admit that the Texas State Fair is the biggest, but Minnesota's is #2 (and has more people per day!), and that's something for our fly-over state!

The first two days of the Fair this year both broke state attendance records, but now on day 5 we weren't expecting big crowds, because the high temp was heading for 91° with a heat index of 105°. It was HOT today, by almost any standard, and REALLY hot for the second-most northern state in the country (Alaska unarguably takes first place there).

When we have temps and heat indexes that high it means there's a lot of energy in the atmosphere, and that means thunderstorms are likely (and possibly tornadoes, but thankfully today wasn't THAT interesting!). As the skies started to darken at about 5:30 we bailed out. By about 7:00 it was pitch black outside (except for the frequent lightning), the wind picked up and we got about 2" of rain over 1/2 hour. Then at 7:30 it started to break up and we got the really odd sunset shown below.

Now at 9:30 PM the wind has died down, it's barely sprinkling and the temp is down to 73°.

As threatening weather goes I know this was nothing. Other's have had MUCH worse recently, and even by our standards this was really just a short heavy rain. But overall a very interesting day!

DSC_4688.jpg.ad73cef5bbc17f66192b0d3a5084c979.jpg

Today was an interesting day! I took the afternoon off and Lesley and I went to the Minnesota State Fair. For those of you who don't know the Minnesota State Fair, Minnesota and Texas argue about which state has the largest state fair in the nation. Texas has more attendees total, but it also runs more days. Minnesota has more attendees per day than Texas. OK, even as a Minnesotan I guess I need to admit that the Texas State Fair is the biggest, but Minnesota's is #2 (and has more people per day!), and that's something for our fly-over state!

The first two days of the Fair this year both broke state attendance records, but now on day 5 we weren't expecting big crowds, because the high temp was heading for 91° with a heat index of 105°. It was HOT today, by almost any standard, and REALLY hot for the second-most northern state in the country (Alaska unarguably takes first place there).

When we have temps and heat indexes that high it means there's a lot of energy in the atmosphere, and that means thunderstorms are likely (and possibly tornadoes, but thankfully today wasn't THAT interesting!). As the skies started to darken at about 5:30 we bailed out. By about 7:00 it was pitch black outside (except for the frequent lightning), the wind picked up and we got about 2" of rain over 1/2 hour. Then at 7:30 it started to break up and we got the really odd sunset shown below.

Now at 9:30 PM the wind has died down, it's barely sprinkling and the temp is down to 73°.

As threatening weather goes I know this was nothing. Other's have had MUCH worse recently, and even by our standards this was really just a short heavy rain. But overall a very interesting day!

Beautiful sunset, Bob! :nabble_smiley_oh:

We had feels-like temps of around 110F today with real temps about 102F. But Friday is to be 88F for a high and 50% chance of rain. We need it!

Beautiful sky Bob!

Haven't seen anything like that since the spate of forest fires a few years ago.

Hope you both enjoyed the fair. :nabble_smiley_good:

That's cool! Sounds like those were good engines. Not a lot of turbos were cooled till later on.

Some of the piston aircraft engine turbos I used to work on had no cooling. Smart owner/pilots would let them idle for 5 or 10 minutes to let the turbo spool down.

If they didn't the turbos would coke up and the waste gates would stick.

If the turbos coked up bad they would get rebuilt.

My old boss found out that the old Mopar Heat Valve Solvent worked well on the waste gates. We would soak them and then hit them with a rivet gun on a piece of wood.

Most of the time that cured them. Those engines were turbo dependent so no turbo, no power.

That's cool! Sounds like those were good engines. Not a lot of turbos were cooled till later on.

Some of the piston aircraft engine turbos I used to work on had no cooling. Smart owner/pilots would let them idle for 5 or 10 minutes to let the turbo spool down.

If they didn't the turbos would coke up and the waste gates would stick.

If the turbos coked up bad they would get rebuilt.

My old boss found out that the old Mopar Heat Valve Solvent worked well on the waste gates. We would soak them and then hit them with a rivet gun on a piece of wood.

Most of the time that cured them. Those engines were turbo dependent so no turbo, no power.

Speaking of people relying on safety devices too much, I’m sitting now in a Lyft taxi to go to the airport.

- the driver doesn’t know how to drive. Uses her blind spot monitor on her 2020 ford edge to blindly change lanes.

- the driver has no clue that her rear left wheel bearing is going out. Car has about 120k miles and probably due for some lube/maintenance and I tried explaining to her (she doesn’t understand English well)… she told me I had 22 miles to go to the airport. I’m here hearing the wo-wo-wo-wo but I have a flight to catch :nabble_smiley_cry:

Update: was able to use google translate to tell her that she needs to pay attention to the rear wheels