Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

That does sound like the impatience of ADHD. The speed at which I see you moving overall trying to get things done with wiring etc, I have been wondering… man “this guy works like me” :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

When I start a project, it becomes an obsession, a mission — as it will never get done otherwise. I struggle with “family time” during those times and in fact I got a good piece of advice from Jeff here who said “projects will wait for you”.. if only my ADHD brain will remember that just like it won’t remember to wear a mask when I need to paint because I am too focused on that painting job!!

You hit the nail on the head.:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

That combined with the "I have to fix that know that I am saw it" mentality.

You hit the nail on the head.:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

That combined with the "I have to fix that know that I am saw it" mentality.

This is probably just worry setting in because my bp keeps dropping out and hr spiking with the good ol chest and arm pain. But I swear Monday after my doctor sees me I'm gonna fill out a will with the lawyer that if I go the wife can't sell the truck and some bullnose guru/fan locally is gonna have to finish the restoration for my kids.

This is probably just worry setting in because my bp keeps dropping out and hr spiking with the good ol chest and arm pain. But I swear Monday after my doctor sees me I'm gonna fill out a will with the lawyer that if I go the wife can't sell the truck and some bullnose guru/fan locally is gonna have to finish the restoration for my kids.

If those who have 20 minutes, interesting basics and

If those who have 20 minutes, interesting basics and

I had that model kit as a kid.

Later, in the early '80's, I met an IBM machinist that had built a running V-8 that was 4-5" long!

Pistons, connecting rods with caps, valves, cam, pushrods, ALL of it! 🤯

I had that model kit as a kid.

Later, in the early '80's, I met an IBM machinist that had built a running V-8 that was 4-5" long!

Pistons, connecting rods with caps, valves, cam, pushrods, ALL of it! 🤯

I used to work with a guy that built a running steam engine when he was in high school. It was just single cylinder, and he used compressed air for the power source rather than build a boiler system. So no where near as impressive as building a running V8, but still pretty cool, especially for a high school kid.

I used to work with a guy that built a running steam engine when he was in high school. It was just single cylinder, and he used compressed air for the power source rather than build a boiler system. So no where near as impressive as building a running V8, but still pretty cool, especially for a high school kid.

It takes a lot of talent, I'm sure!

I used to like going to live steam events.

There were always a few that had running models of 'classic or pivotal' steam and hit-or-miss engines.

I didn't know the difference, but I understood that X or Y was an example of some gigantic things that changed the world.

From Newcomben's (?) steam pump that cleared the water out of coal mines to steam engines like the Tod that drove hundreds of rolling mills in the heyday of steel.

It takes a lot of talent, I'm sure!

I used to like going to live steam events.

There were always a few that had running models of 'classic or pivotal' steam and hit-or-miss engines.

I didn't know the difference, but I understood that X or Y was an example of some gigantic things that changed the world.

From Newcomben's (?) steam pump that cleared the water out of coal mines to steam engines like the Tod that drove hundreds of rolling mills in the heyday of steel.

Back when my kids were in Cub Scouts the pack to a trip to a local model railroad club. The club owns a couple dozen acres a little out of the cities and has a big network of tracks. I don't know the gauge, but roughly 12" between rails. One day a month they open up to the public and give rides on the trains. Most of the trains were powered by something like a Briggs & Stratton, but there was at least one live steam locomotive. The engineer sat on top of the coal car (which had a supply of charcoal briquettes) and fed the fire while controlling the engine. It took a few people a fair bit of time to get that engine on line!

And speaking of that, in Boy Scouts we took a trip to Green Bay where we toured a railroad museum (one of the Scout leaders was a big railroad geek). They have one of the last of the "Big Boy" steam engines, what is considered the most powerful successful locomotive ever made. They explained why diesel electrics aren't even close in power to the big steam engines. It took such a large crew of people to run each steam engine, and so long to get each engine on line that it made more sense to have fewer, more powerful engines. But with diesels a single crew can run several locomotives, and it takes comparatively no time at all to get one started and warmed up, so it makes more sense to string a bunch of them together and only run as many as you need at any point in time.

Back when my kids were in Cub Scouts the pack to a trip to a local model railroad club. The club owns a couple dozen acres a little out of the cities and has a big network of tracks. I don't know the gauge, but roughly 12" between rails. One day a month they open up to the public and give rides on the trains. Most of the trains were powered by something like a Briggs & Stratton, but there was at least one live steam locomotive. The engineer sat on top of the coal car (which had a supply of charcoal briquettes) and fed the fire while controlling the engine. It took a few people a fair bit of time to get that engine on line!

And speaking of that, in Boy Scouts we took a trip to Green Bay where we toured a railroad museum (one of the Scout leaders was a big railroad geek). They have one of the last of the "Big Boy" steam engines, what is considered the most powerful successful locomotive ever made. They explained why diesel electrics aren't even close in power to the big steam engines. It took such a large crew of people to run each steam engine, and so long to get each engine on line that it made more sense to have fewer, more powerful engines. But with diesels a single crew can run several locomotives, and it takes comparatively no time at all to get one started and warmed up, so it makes more sense to string a bunch of them together and only run as many as you need at any point in time.

If anyone's in or around Youngstown, they have a (24"?) narrow gauge Porter (3 actually!) at the Youngstown Steel Heritage Museum that runs on live steam

They also have the last of the enormous Tod rolling mill engines, with gantrys/catwalks so you can see the whole thing at once.

There is a YouTube channel if you want a taste of* it and some of the incredible work that goes into tracking down, moving and reanimating these things.

I have been to the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum in Strasburg and ridden the excursion train through the area. All of that is now part of Norfolk Southern's territory after the government made them take over Penn Central.

I have been to the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum in Strasburg and ridden the excursion train through the area. All of that is now part of Norfolk Southern's territory after the government made them take over Penn Central.

I've ridden that train, Bill. Our home was only ~30 miles away when we lived in PA and we were through there many, many times.