Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

I remember when the Taurus first came out.

We literally called them jellybeans. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Yes, we did as well. And then the whole market followed suite and you couldn't tell one vehicle from another.

Love the days when the vehicles were so easily ID'd, like the Chevys of 1957, 58, 59, and 60.

So that's why you don't have '87 - '91 Ford trucks!

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: Brick! Well spotted, as the Brits would say. :nabble_anim_claps:

Interestingly, when I got into Bullnose trucks there wasn't a moniker for them or the later trucks. Just Bumps and Dents. As explained on our page at Documentation/Bullnose FAQ's the tag Bullnose was adopted, at least on FTE, in 2011. And it was about that time that the later trucks got their moniker.

But even had I known the later ones were to be called Bricks, that wouldn't have swayed me. I prefer the squared-up look of the Bullnose - before the rounding and blending and smoothing for the wind tunnel took over.

I've said this before, but I keep the nicknames of the '80 - '96/'97 Ford trucks straight because they're all wrong.

'80 - '86 are all squared off, like a brick. So those are the Bullnoses.

'87 - '91 are still pretty blocky, but not sharp edges, so they look more like a big, strong animal than they do a piece of building material. So they are the Bricknoses.

And '92 - '96/'97 are the newest body style in the group. So they are called Old Body Style.

(When the '97 F-150/F-250 came out it looked like the jellybean Taurus. So we called that the Taurus truck)

I've said this before, but I keep the nicknames of the '80 - '96/'97 Ford trucks straight because they're all wrong.

'80 - '86 are all squared off, like a brick. So those are the Bullnoses.

'87 - '91 are still pretty blocky, but not sharp edges, so they look more like a big, strong animal than they do a piece of building material. So they are the Bricknoses.

And '92 - '96/'97 are the newest body style in the group. So they are called Old Body Style.

(When the '97 F-150/F-250 came out it looked like the jellybean Taurus. So we called that the Taurus truck)

Well said, Bob. And I think if you were to go back and check, my vote for the 1980-86 trucks was for Bricknose - exactly for your reasoning. But I was outvoted. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Well said, Bob. And I think if you were to go back and check, my vote for the 1980-86 trucks was for Bricknose - exactly for your reasoning. But I was outvoted. :nabble_smiley_sad:

If I could, I would just call them (80-86) Squarebody trucks!!

I bought my first "Bullnose" before I knew it was called that.

I was simply looking for a "Squarebody Ford truck!!".

If I could, I would just call them (80-86) Squarebody trucks!!

I bought my first "Bullnose" before I knew it was called that.

I was simply looking for a "Squarebody Ford truck!!".

"Squarebody" is just so associated with GM. I feel like calling a Ford that is like calling a 460 a rat motor.

"Squarebody" is just so associated with GM. I feel like calling a Ford that is like calling a 460 a rat motor.

Just like someone saying "small block or big block" when speaking of products from The Motor Company....

You know they aren't from Dearborn!

Just like someone saying "small block or big block" when speaking of products from The Motor Company....

You know they aren't from Dearborn!

I don't feel as strong about that. "Small block Ford" has come to mean the 351W, 302 and 289 (and maybe some older engines?) while "big block Ford" has come to mean the 385 Series. And in the GM world it seems I hear "small block Chevy" as often as I hear it shortened to just "small block". So those still feel more generic.

I don't call it that myself simply because thats a GM terminology...

Well Chevy earned the "rights" as they came up with that style first. I am of the opinion that Ford waited about 8 years before coming up with a "squarebody" style via the bullnoses... Chevy squarebody style was 73 and on... I would not go as far as saying that the Chevy squarebody inspired the bullnose design... but I wonder....

80-86 are truly special because trucks up until 79 were bulbous, and then 87 and on became rounder, just slightly and then in 97 came the Jellybean... and the more recent ones, I have been happy to see the return of "square" styling!!

I have 3.55 gears and the truck will turn in 12 MPG if held to 65 MPH and fed manually. Where's the fun in that? So I get 11 - 11.5 on the road with it, all day long with it on speed control.

But the thing weighs 6600 lbs with the winch, aux battery, 3KW inverter, onboard compressed air, toolbox with lots & lots of hand tools, etc.

Steve/FoxFord33 and I used it to go get a Mercury Mountaineer recently on a 200 mile round trip. Pulled the car-hauler trailer over at 75 in 5th gear, which is 2100, and came back at 70 in 4th gear, which is 2500. Spent a whole lot of time idling moving the trailer around and then winching the Mountaineer on. But overall got about 10 MPG.

I don't know what's in the truck gear wise yet. I am going to go make an offer tomorrow. TBH I know it's not everyones cup of tea but I really want a 4 door bullnose, so it's coming home now mater what. He did mention the rear tank pump is not functioning and the tank needs to be dropped and cleaned. Kind of expected. And that the AC is not functioning. Also kind of expected. So long as it's running, with no major issues or major rust it's a no brainer for me.

Anything to pay attention too specifically on these 4 door duallies and 460's?

I don't know what's in the truck gear wise yet. I am going to go make an offer tomorrow. TBH I know it's not everyones cup of tea but I really want a 4 door bullnose, so it's coming home now mater what. He did mention the rear tank pump is not functioning and the tank needs to be dropped and cleaned. Kind of expected. And that the AC is not functioning. Also kind of expected. So long as it's running, with no major issues or major rust it's a no brainer for me.

Anything to pay attention too specifically on these 4 door duallies and 460's?

What year is the crew cab?

The Hot Fuel Handling system changed a couple of times...

Just get a new rear tank.

It is never worth the $$$ and effort to try and resurrect one.

I like the Lilland powder coated tanks myself. They fit everything right and are quite strong (as my driveshaft tried to beat my midship to death.... and lost.

The 460 is pretty resilient, but the trucks do have known points of failure, like the cowl drains, rear spring hangers and door seal pinch welds, among others.