Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

This forum is of inestimable value due to all the Gurus and Masters who generously share their knowledge between them… and with us, poor little dummies.

I say «us» because I’m assuming (hoping?) that I’m not the only one here.

I assumed that fact all my life, even in the classrooms when younger, and I was always right:

When the geeks sitting in front the class had nothing to add and the teacher was thinking everything was ok for the dummies too (all sitting in the back of the room), I (sitting in the extreme back) did muster the courage to left my hand and ask the question every other dummy was hoping someone else was going to ask.

So don’t be surprised my friends, I’m the one who knows he is the Dummy among all these savant peoples but also knows he is not alone.

:nabble_smiley_happy:

And I’m saying you, all

my Dummies friends, do not fear to ask your «stupid» questions, there’s no shame to do so, and I swear that all our Gurus here are always really happy to take their time to answer and teach us.

:nabble_anim_handshake:

Even sometimes in complicated terms.

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Here is an example of an «obviously evident» fact that I personally didn’t know about, and that I share with my Forum’s friends.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Jeff - As said elsewhere, you aren't a dummy. It is just that some of our members have more experience is certain areas than others do. But collectively we have a whole lot of experience! :nabble_anim_claps:

Jeff, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. I have no problem at least trying to explain something to someone. Where I have a problem is with the ones that allready know everything. I had one several years ago on FTE who was running a Quadrajet and had a very strange issue, half his cylinders were fouling plugs and the pattern was like 1467 or 2358 which indicated an issue with one primary barrel.

When I suggested where to look unlike most of the posts telling him to junk the Q-jet, he told me I didn't know what I was talking about. My reply was "Fine, I will just step out of this thread and not bother you again." I continued monitering it and one person told the individual "You just PO'd the one person who really understands carburetors."

I waited until the OP begged someone to see if they could get me back. When the OP appologised and asked if I would please return I did, he then asked nicely what I thought was his problem. I told him was an either bent or missing primary metering rod on the offending side. Two hours later he was back on with "you hit it dead on, one rod bent at the bottom". This is a common problem on Q-jets if proper care isn't taken putting the top on during reassembly.

Bill - At least, this supposedly omniscient guy was enough humble to admit that he was wrong and that you had the knowledge.

Fault confessed is half redressed.

Jeff - As said elsewhere, you aren't a dummy. It is just that some of our members have more experience is certain areas than others do. But collectively we have a whole lot of experience! :nabble_anim_claps:

Ok Gary, you win.

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I am going to make an effort to expand my english vocabulary and to ban “dummy” as the word that is best describing my total lack of knowledge.

I promise to use different terms, such as “neophyte”, “newbie”, “novice” or “newcomer”.

Or any other “dummy” softer synonym that members can suggest.

Ok Gary, you win.

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I am going to make an effort to expand my english vocabulary and to ban “dummy” as the word that is best describing my total lack of knowledge.

I promise to use different terms, such as “neophyte”, “newbie”, “novice” or “newcomer”.

Or any other “dummy” softer synonym that members can suggest.

The Haggerty Concours De'elegance was in town this weekend.

I saw some incredibly beautiful engineering.

Bespoke Pagani's and the like.

But I saw this Rio pickup in a liquor store parking lot!

IMG_20240602_190236_MP.jpg.955759ed0787d1bc412f241c905304d5.jpg

Then I went to my sister's friends house and asked about this 1999 250 7.3 PS pickup that has not been registered.

It has two worthless batteries.

It hasn't been cranked in two years.

It has 120,000 miles on it.

Big tires and rims.

Ridiculous smoke stacks, and probably engine mods that made it unable to be registered in the state.

IMG_20240602_131524_MP.jpg.d18453b02b39bfecdff3930e863576a5.jpg

IMG_20240602_131539_MP.jpg.c27b562faefeef24cb3c708fd0b718cf.jpg

What's a fair price for this?

The Haggerty Concours De'elegance was in town this weekend.

I saw some incredibly beautiful engineering.

Bespoke Pagani's and the like.

But I saw this Rio pickup in a liquor store parking lot!

Then I went to my sister's friends house and asked about this 1999 250 7.3 PS pickup that has not been registered.

It has two worthless batteries.

It hasn't been cranked in two years.

It has 120,000 miles on it.

Big tires and rims.

Ridiculous smoke stacks, and probably engine mods that made it unable to be registered in the state.

What's a fair price for this?

I know old diesel 4x4s are in demand. If those miles are original and the interiors are decent, and you can get it to run, I can easily see $5k+… but I’m assuming it’s also sans rust (except surface and minor scaling). Depends how hard it will be to pass emissions though. That truck will fit right in Texas just the way it is. No emissions testing here for anything 2000 or older

I know old diesel 4x4s are in demand. If those miles are original and the interiors are decent, and you can get it to run, I can easily see $5k+… but I’m assuming it’s also sans rust (except surface and minor scaling). Depends how hard it will be to pass emissions though. That truck will fit right in Texas just the way it is. No emissions testing here for anything 2000 or older

Well, this kid must have bought it and let it set in his parents driveway, forlorn and unused.

I'm not going to buy $350 worth of batteries to find out it's siezed or has no compression.

This is (was) serious salt country.

Even though you could get by with registering an untitled vehicle that has NO current emissions, you would be subject to an extra through going over by a State Police inspection station, just to get the red tape moving.

It was built 2/99 .

It's a 250, so you can be sure the 'lift' has it especially fubar to drive.

It has never been registered by this guy in all the years since he bought it.

It hasn't turned over, let alone ran in over two years.

It does suffer rust in the door bottoms and (I would assume) cowl.... but I'd need a 6' step ladder to even look.

I tow junk like this out of people's yards every day.

Person passed, or just got 10 years added to their sentence, whatever....

Kid lives.... I have no idea.🤷‍♂️. Not close enough to get over to his elderly parents house on a dead end road and even keep the batteries on a tender....

Thinks he should recover the full cost of all the dry rotting 12 year old tires, rims, smoke stacks, suspension crap, etc...

"I know what I've got!" 😆

Nobody wants it...... I sure as hell don't want 3 steps up to get into a pickup.

People are not out building 25 year old trucks, or even 7.3's anymore.

People would Cummins swap this thing.

If they wanted a stronger engine they wouldn't choose an OBS PSD in the first place.

Scrap value, by weight today, is probably $350. (remember, dry rotted tires, two shot batteries, no cats to turn over for profit, broken grille, probably a siezed up pump, if it hasn't even cranked since Covid.

I don't care about garbage bling, I'm not interested in any of it.

But this

Well, this kid must have bought it and let it set in his parents driveway, forlorn and unused.

I'm not going to buy $350 worth of batteries to find out it's siezed or has no compression.

This is (was) serious salt country.

Even though you could get by with registering an untitled vehicle that has NO current emissions, you would be subject to an extra through going over by a State Police inspection station, just to get the red tape moving.

It was built 2/99 .

It's a 250, so you can be sure the 'lift' has it especially fubar to drive.

It has never been registered by this guy in all the years since he bought it.

It hasn't turned over, let alone ran in over two years.

It does suffer rust in the door bottoms and (I would assume) cowl.... but I'd need a 6' step ladder to even look.

I tow junk like this out of people's yards every day.

Person passed, or just got 10 years added to their sentence, whatever....

Kid lives.... I have no idea.🤷‍♂️. Not close enough to get over to his elderly parents house on a dead end road and even keep the batteries on a tender....

Thinks he should recover the full cost of all the dry rotting 12 year old tires, rims, smoke stacks, suspension crap, etc...

"I know what I've got!" 😆

Nobody wants it...... I sure as hell don't want 3 steps up to get into a pickup.

People are not out building 25 year old trucks, or even 7.3's anymore.

People would Cummins swap this thing.

If they wanted a stronger engine they wouldn't choose an OBS PSD in the first place.

Scrap value, by weight today, is probably $350. (remember, dry rotted tires, two shot batteries, no cats to turn over for profit, broken grille, probably a siezed up pump, if it hasn't even cranked since Covid.

I don't care about garbage bling, I'm not interested in any of it.

But this

OK based on the 2023 Old Cars price guide and since you told us more about its condition, this truck is $350 in scrap condition (#6)... so you are spot on. If it is deemed restorable (no major parts missing and frame is intact) and has means to obtain a title then it gets bumped up to a #5, which is $1060. Add 10% to those numbers for a 4x4, and then add another 25% to those numbers for a Turbo Diesel V8.

OK based on the 2023 Old Cars price guide and since you told us more about its condition, this truck is $350 in scrap condition (#6)... so you are spot on. If it is deemed restorable (no major parts missing and frame is intact) and has means to obtain a title then it gets bumped up to a #5, which is $1060. Add 10% to those numbers for a 4x4, and then add another 25% to those numbers for a Turbo Diesel V8.

I drag enough cars to the shredder... :nabble_smiley_whistling:

So, $1320+ $132 for 4x4 = $1452.00

Is my math right? :nabble_anim_confused:

It's hard to say what anything is worth if you can't hear it run.

I drag enough cars to the shredder... :nabble_smiley_whistling:

So, $1320+ $132 for 4x4 = $1452.00

Is my math right? :nabble_anim_confused:

It's hard to say what anything is worth if you can't hear it run.

Yes ~$1450. That assumes you have a means to get a title though.. or at least some proof that he was in legal possession of the vehicle and releases all interest in the vehicle and won't come after it later.

Yes ~$1450. That assumes you have a means to get a title though.. or at least some proof that he was in legal possession of the vehicle and releases all interest in the vehicle and won't come after it later.

We just put it in the tow lot and let the daily storage fee exceed the book.

I don't think this guy had title, or maybe the mods made it impossible to register. ?? 🤷‍♂️