Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

I got lost in the dialog, but that doesn't look like a 140 HP Johnrude. Looks like a Merc to me. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I've said before, no one's ever accused me of being concise :nabble_smiley_blush:, but yes, it is a Johnson. I can't find any pictures to prove it right now, but if you saw the width of the 90° V-4 you'd know it wasn't a Merc!

When we were getting the boat and I was asking for an OMC outboard the salesman asked if we wanted Johnson or Evinrude. I turned to Lesley and asked "white or blue?" The salesman said that they also had Johnsons in a charcoal, so we had three color choices. The charcoal engines were 2 models years old, but that brought the price down a bit. I probably would've picked charcoal anyway, but the lower cost made it an easy decision.

I got lost in the dialog, but that doesn't look like a 140 HP Johnrude. Looks like a Merc to me. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I've said before, no one's ever accused me of being concise :nabble_smiley_blush:, but yes, it is a Johnson. I can't find any pictures to prove it right now, but if you saw the width of the 90° V-4 you'd know it wasn't a Merc!

When we were getting the boat and I was asking for an OMC outboard the salesman asked if we wanted Johnson or Evinrude. I turned to Lesley and asked "white or blue?" The salesman said that they also had Johnsons in a charcoal, so we had three color choices. The charcoal engines were 2 models years old, but that brought the price down a bit. I probably would've picked charcoal anyway, but the lower cost made it an easy decision.

Yes, it is easy to tell from the profile if it is a Merc or a Johnrude. But I forgot about the charcoal colored ones, which explains it. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for not being concise, they say it takes one to know one. :nabble_smiley_blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is easy to tell from the profile if it is a Merc or a Johnrude. But I forgot about the charcoal colored ones, which explains it. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for not being concise, they say it takes one to know one. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Guys, talking about boats and trailers…

During our road trip, while crossing almost desert places (I mean infinite lands with no water hundred miles around), we were surprised to see a lot of Locals pickups towing boats. So much that my wife began to take pictures of these curious travelers.

«But, why are these guys towing their boat in the desert???»

:nabble_anim_confused:

So much intrigued that I asked the question to a Local who was fueling beside me at a gas station.

He laughed and answered, «we simply find it looks good, man»!

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Then explained me that there was some reservoirs around, not near but for Locals it is worth to tow their boats on long distances and go fishing. The general weekend hobby, let’s say.

IMG_9650.jpeg.16dfdf6067806cc33ef87dba73160c7e.jpeg

Guys, talking about boats and trailers…

During our road trip, while crossing almost desert places (I mean infinite lands with no water hundred miles around), we were surprised to see a lot of Locals pickups towing boats. So much that my wife began to take pictures of these curious travelers.

«But, why are these guys towing their boat in the desert???»

:nabble_anim_confused:

So much intrigued that I asked the question to a Local who was fueling beside me at a gas station.

He laughed and answered, «we simply find it looks good, man»!

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Then explained me that there was some reservoirs around, not near but for Locals it is worth to tow their boats on long distances and go fishing. The general weekend hobby, let’s say.

You weren't far from Lake Powell and Lake Mead. I've not been on Mead but have been on Powell four times, three of which we pulled a boat from Oklahoma to Utah to do.

Lake Powell has (had?) as much shoreline as the state of California, and was hundreds of feet deep in the channel south of where you were. It was a wonderful boating lake, with so many beautiful spots you could get to by boat, but not by road.

• 2 months later...

You weren't far from Lake Powell and Lake Mead. I've not been on Mead but have been on Powell four times, three of which we pulled a boat from Oklahoma to Utah to do.

Lake Powell has (had?) as much shoreline as the state of California, and was hundreds of feet deep in the channel south of where you were. It was a wonderful boating lake, with so many beautiful spots you could get to by boat, but not by road.

Recently came across a guy selling a NOS Trailer Special emblem (1980-1981 only) on Ebay for $120. That's pretty steep, but it made me wonder how many I have. Here's the answer and a picture in case somebody someday stumbles across this post in a Google search. I remember struggling to find some for my F150, but now I have enough to put on multiple trucks. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

-1 NOS Complete Emblem

-1 Used Complete Emblem

-1 Used Emblem (Missing top layers)

-5 NOS Inserts

Bonus:

-2 Used "Camper Special" emblems (Missing top layers)

Screenshot_2023-11-16_200154.jpg.2abdc5c9eff0492011c9c51ba53372f5.jpg

Recently came across a guy selling a NOS Trailer Special emblem (1980-1981 only) on Ebay for $120. That's pretty steep, but it made me wonder how many I have. Here's the answer and a picture in case somebody someday stumbles across this post in a Google search. I remember struggling to find some for my F150, but now I have enough to put on multiple trucks. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

-1 NOS Complete Emblem

-1 Used Complete Emblem

-1 Used Emblem (Missing top layers)

-5 NOS Inserts

Bonus:

-2 Used "Camper Special" emblems (Missing top layers)

Pretty! Worth a fortune! Those are not being replicated and there aren't many available. IOW, the value will continue to climb as these trucks come into their own.

Pretty! Worth a fortune! Those are not being replicated and there aren't many available. IOW, the value will continue to climb as these trucks come into their own.

My thoughts exactly. I may part with them at some point, but likely not all of them as I'd like to keep a backup set of inserts in case something happens to the ones on the truck.

For those who have no idea what these are,

DSCN2496.jpg.e2db7a535b5dc3ebe5a790575151f9b7.jpg

17103736_1263268823786780_5198838958577949281_n.jpg.3e44c67e4bb2e0b53bed2f868c071f6e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen (hoops, I realize I'll have to change my usual introduction, as it appears that we have some ladies among our members).

Friends, imagine you receive a call from Ford, saying you «hello, we want to restore your truck».

:nabble_smiley_cool:

Would I want my truck restored to pristine stock?

No. Not me.

But if they wanted it for their museum and offered me a comparable beater with lifetime tires and oil changes I'd probably bite that hook.

Gentlemen (hoops, I realize I'll have to change my usual introduction, as it appears that we have some ladies among our members).

Friends, imagine you receive a call from Ford, saying you «hello, we want to restore your truck».

:nabble_smiley_cool:

That is really cool! They really did a good job on the Beetle. :nabble_smiley_good:

But I don't think I want Ford to "restore" Big Blue. Granted his EFI system is one of theirs, but they'd need my wiring diagrams on how I interfaced their 1996 EFI system to their 1985 wiring. However, if they plugged one of their ECU's in it would have a fit since it wouldn't find the EGR system nor the vapor recovery system.

And they could probably figure out how I used their 1990 A/C system. Similarly they could work out how I used the ZF5 tranny they put in later trucks.

But what would they do with the front & rear cameras? The bed cover? The tool box with the on-board air system? The inverter?

No, sorry. I don't want Ford to restore it. I have Big Blue about where I want him.