Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

Thanks guys for the info, I will be tackling the fuel issues on the red truck during my vacation next week.

As for today, I hopped in my 2003 Ranger after work, and realized pretty quickly I had no clutch. I rev matched my way down to the Wawa gas station across the street and checked the clutch fluid. Sure enough, it was low. Since I have a new master cylinder in the truck as of December, I knew it was the concentric slave cylinder. So tonight I went ahead and tackled that as I like driving the truck and didn't want to borrow anything. The slave was covered in brake fluid, so I knew the seal was gone.

After I got the truck back together, I took a better look at the offending slave cylinder. I bought it in 2018 as a "just in case" but ended up needing to utilize it when I lost a throwout bearing New Year's Eve 2019. It was a Luk brand that I picked up on Amazon. The Duralast slave cylinder I picked up from the local parts store was stamped FTE Automotive. Come to find out, so was the "LuK" slave cylinder I removed from the truck. I am really surprised at the fact that a LuK slave cylinder failed within a year's time, but after seeing the FTE stamping, I feel like I may have been sold a cheaper slave cylinder in a LuK box. So I guess this is a buyer beware when you're shopping on Amazon. :nabble_smiley_argh:

I don't know how many gallons you already have in the tank but 10% = 12.8 oz per gallon!

This is why I laugh at people who buy gas line antifreeze up here on bitter cold days.

(Surprised they even sell it down in FL)

And while the old solution to pollution is dilution, it might be best to drain the tank and start fresh.

Sorry you got a bum slave cylinder.

Did this come as part of a kit, or did you buy a slave by itself?

It was by itself. FTE Automotive (Valeo) slave in a LuK (Schaeffler) box. Last I heard those were competing companies. But who knows in this day and age.

I really can't tell if the slave itself went bad on it's own, or if I may have helped it back in December when I thought the master cylinder went bad. The same loss of fluid happened, so I refilled the reservoir and limped the truck home. If it indeed was the master cylinder in December, then overfilling the system may have blown out the seal in the slave cylinder. So, this might have been self-inflicted by my refusal to put this truck on a tow truck. The clutch pedal hasn't felt right since I replaced the master cylinder, so alternatively it could have been the slave and not the master in the first place. :nabble_anim_crazy:

It was by itself. FTE Automotive (Valeo) slave in a LuK (Schaeffler) box. Last I heard those were competing companies. But who knows in this day and age.

I really can't tell if the slave itself went bad on it's own, or if I may have helped it back in December when I thought the master cylinder went bad. The same loss of fluid happened, so I refilled the reservoir and limped the truck home. If it indeed was the master cylinder in December, then overfilling the system may have blown out the seal in the slave cylinder. So, this might have been self-inflicted by my refusal to put this truck on a tow truck. The clutch pedal hasn't felt right since I replaced the master cylinder, so alternatively it could have been the slave and not the master in the first place. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I don't know how overfilling could cause a slave failure.

There's only X stroke in the master, and that shouldn't be able to pop the slave out of its seal.

I mean, that's how the system is supposed to work.

Fully bled there is no compression in a hydraulic system.

I don't know how overfilling could cause a slave failure.

There's only X stroke in the master, and that shouldn't be able to pop the slave out of its seal.

I mean, that's how the system is supposed to work.

Fully bled there is no compression in a hydraulic system.

I agree - I don't see how you caused the failure, at least not from overfilling. But you got it fixed. :nabble_anim_claps:

I agree - I don't see how you caused the failure, at least not from overfilling. But you got it fixed. :nabble_anim_claps:

I was researching clutches for something and noticed on RA that the Luk pictures had Valeo stamped on them.

I thought the same thing, they were competitors. Rusty and I were hitting on this the other day with electrical parts.

Seems a lot of competitors own the competition. I just wish there was some better quality.

I was researching clutches for something and noticed on RA that the Luk pictures had Valeo stamped on them.

I thought the same thing, they were competitors. Rusty and I were hitting on this the other day with electrical parts.

Seems a lot of competitors own the competition. I just wish there was some better quality.

I looked into the inspection window back in December, and could see no remnants of fluid, hence why I didn't think it was the slave in the first place, especially since I had just replaced it a year prior. But this time everything was soaked so it was obvious.

I'm just thankful I have the ability, the know-how, and the tools to be able to fix things like this. Probably would have been a few hundred dollars to replace a $50 part if I took it to a shop. Plus, I would lose the truck for a few days.

And I agree on quality, I have yet to find quality anything for the clutch. I've been through three or four master cylinders now, and am on the fourth slave cylinder. And I've only had the manual transmission in the truck for six years now. Master cylinders aren't hard to replace on these trucks, but concentric slave cylinders require transmission removal, and that's just frustrating.

I looked into the inspection window back in December, and could see no remnants of fluid, hence why I didn't think it was the slave in the first place, especially since I had just replaced it a year prior. But this time everything was soaked so it was obvious.

I'm just thankful I have the ability, the know-how, and the tools to be able to fix things like this. Probably would have been a few hundred dollars to replace a $50 part if I took it to a shop. Plus, I would lose the truck for a few days.

And I agree on quality, I have yet to find quality anything for the clutch. I've been through three or four master cylinders now, and am on the fourth slave cylinder. And I've only had the manual transmission in the truck for six years now. Master cylinders aren't hard to replace on these trucks, but concentric slave cylinders require transmission removal, and that's just frustrating.

Ive had the same experience with bad hydraulic parts. Its kind of a head scratcher...:nabble_anim_confused:

• 2 weeks later...