Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

Guys,

Do most of you pre-fill your new oil filters when doing an oil change? Can any harm be done starting up an engine with a dry/empty oil filter?

Same as Ray. If it’s vertical, yes, if not I don’t put any oil in it.

Same as Ray. If it’s vertical, yes, if not I don’t put any oil in it.

When changing oil on the 4.9L engine, with horizontal filter, I fill the filter almost full and while lubricating the gasket from that same source of oil, the oil is absorbed by the filter substrate and does not make a mess when installed. So, the filter still has some air space, but is more quickly filled than a bone-dry filter.

When changing oil on the 4.9L engine, with horizontal filter, I fill the filter almost full and while lubricating the gasket from that same source of oil, the oil is absorbed by the filter substrate and does not make a mess when installed. So, the filter still has some air space, but is more quickly filled than a bone-dry filter.

Cancer sucks.

Mother in law is officially diagnosed with breast cancer. Its pretty far along too. Surgery will happen soon. They found the cancer is in her blood and able to migrate. She has been having abdominal pain. Poor woman. She raised four kids, had a husband that ran around on her, gambled, cheated, lied, and left her high and dry once the kids were out of school. She was left with no work history and no skills. 63 years old, working full time minimum wage labor jobs, no retirement savings.

I will be in and out of Tulsa Gary. I may swing in if I have time. Next trip is to get Holly some time with her mom while I try to fix up her moms beater old camry. It needs a lot of work. Im going to get her something better, but need to sell my oklahoma house first. I just need to get her car through a couple more months.

Cancer sucks.

Mother in law is officially diagnosed with breast cancer. Its pretty far along too. Surgery will happen soon. They found the cancer is in her blood and able to migrate. She has been having abdominal pain. Poor woman. She raised four kids, had a husband that ran around on her, gambled, cheated, lied, and left her high and dry once the kids were out of school. She was left with no work history and no skills. 63 years old, working full time minimum wage labor jobs, no retirement savings.

I will be in and out of Tulsa Gary. I may swing in if I have time. Next trip is to get Holly some time with her mom while I try to fix up her moms beater old camry. It needs a lot of work. Im going to get her something better, but need to sell my oklahoma house first. I just need to get her car through a couple more months.

Ray - That’s awful! Very sorry to see that. You folks will be in my prayers.

I look forward to seeing you. Safe travels.

Sorry to hear that Ray. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

I hope you and Holly can lend some comfort.

Also, best of luck quickly unloading your rental 'albatross'.

In Ford pickup truck news.......

In addition to the new pickup emoji (Blue's mini me)

725932796.jpg.f20e926fdfcf5f879bcfe8fcb505cec4.jpg

Ford has put their new battery electric in the spotlight.

Towing the heaviest load ever by a fully electric vehicle.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/07/ford-shows-off-electric-f-150-truck-by-towing-a-million-pounds-of-train/

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-49089887/will-ford-s-new-truck-persuade-people-to-go-electric?intlink_from_url=&link_location=live-reporting-map

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/07/ford-shows-off-electric-f-150-truck-by-towing-a-million-pounds-of-train/

That's pretty cool, but not at all surprising; anyone who knows anything about electric traction knows they can pull a LOT off the line. Case in point: I spent a couple of weeks during the 1987 Christmas season working air freight for Eastern Airlines, and we were pulling multi-ton pallets of freight for KLM 747s with these little tiny electric tugs. The battery-powered forklifts were impressive, too.

That's pretty cool, but not at all surprising; anyone who knows anything about electric traction knows they can pull a LOT off the line. Case in point: I spent a couple of weeks during the 1987 Christmas season working air freight for Eastern Airlines, and we were pulling multi-ton pallets of freight for KLM 747s with these little tiny electric tugs. The battery-powered forklifts were impressive, too.

Oh absolutely.

But what IS impressive is that the little pickup DID have traction enough to shift one and a quarter million pounds.

Four tiny spots of rubber with, what, 5-6,000 pounds of downforce * in total?

Four tiny spots of rubber with, what, 5-6,000 pounds of downforce?

Agreed. In fact, they're probably the real star of the video, not the F-150. :nabble_smiley_happy:

It's gonna take me a long time to warm up to electric vehicles, but I'm definitely not against them. Might as well make driving trucks 100% effortless since we can't have manual transmissions in full size pickups anymore. :nabble_smiley_argh: