Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

Funny! Now that’s a Bronco!

Haven't put up my Christmas lights yet, but my Ranger decided to turn its CEL on today, so I'm currently dealing with that. Truck is throwing P0171 and P0174, so the oxygen sensors are seeing too much oxygen in the exhaust (lean). I checked all of my vacuum hoses and found a few that were iffy, so I swapped them out with ones from my 2002 Ranger, and re-tested for vacuum leaks by unplugging the IAC while the truck is running. Since the rpms dropped, that tells me there are no more vacuum leaks. My STFT aren't looking too shabby at between -5 to +7, but I have seen it spike to +10 a couple of times. I am seeing +15 to +18 on the LTFT for each bank at times and that's what I'm unsure of as it seems a bit high. But I need to test drive it again since I verified the lack of vacuum leaks. It's funny because the truck doesn't seem to run any different at all. :nabble_anim_confused:

Haven't put up my Christmas lights yet, but my Ranger decided to turn its CEL on today, so I'm currently dealing with that. Truck is throwing P0171 and P0174, so the oxygen sensors are seeing too much oxygen in the exhaust (lean). I checked all of my vacuum hoses and found a few that were iffy, so I swapped them out with ones from my 2002 Ranger, and re-tested for vacuum leaks by unplugging the IAC while the truck is running. Since the rpms dropped, that tells me there are no more vacuum leaks. My STFT aren't looking too shabby at between -5 to +7, but I have seen it spike to +10 a couple of times. I am seeing +15 to +18 on the LTFT for each bank at times and that's what I'm unsure of as it seems a bit high. But I need to test drive it again since I verified the lack of vacuum leaks. It's funny because the truck doesn't seem to run any different at all. :nabble_anim_confused:

Won't the long-term #'s stay the same for a while after you fixed the vacuum leak? I think you have to drive it for a while to get them to come down.

As for not driving differently, it has to get pretty lean before you'll notice. Like maybe 17:1 and even then it is still running ok, but just doesn't have the spunk it should have.

Won't the long-term #'s stay the same for a while after you fixed the vacuum leak? I think you have to drive it for a while to get them to come down.

As for not driving differently, it has to get pretty lean before you'll notice. Like maybe 17:1 and even then it is still running ok, but just doesn't have the spunk it should have.

Yea, it will take a bit for them to come down. I just took a rip up the highway and back and no pending codes this time, so hopefully it's fixed. I'll test it for sure tomorrow. What is the long term effect of an engine running lean? This is the first time I've had a vehicle do this, so I'm learning as I go.

Yea, it will take a bit for them to come down. I just took a rip up the highway and back and no pending codes this time, so hopefully it's fixed. I'll test it for sure tomorrow. What is the long term effect of an engine running lean? This is the first time I've had a vehicle do this, so I'm learning as I go.

You have to get it really lean and run it for quite a while to hurt anything. But lean can make the engine run hot and damage valves or pistons over the long haul. I doubt you've hurt anything at all.

You have to get it really lean and run it for quite a while to hurt anything. But lean can make the engine run hot and damage valves or pistons over the long haul. I doubt you've hurt anything at all.

I agree. I'm hoping it's fixed but because I can't read AFR's with my scanner, I'm having to rely on driving the truck and watching the fuel trims and O2 sensor voltage to see where I'm at. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

I agree. I'm hoping it's fixed but because I can't read AFR's with my scanner, I'm having to rely on driving the truck and watching the fuel trims and O2 sensor voltage to see where I'm at. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

It wasn't fixed. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Since I verified no vacuum leaks, I moved on to fuel. I had issues with the truck firing off a little slower than usual, and occasional hiccups at higher rpms. I stuck my fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and found the fuel pressure at 50 PSI. The spec in the Ford shop manual for this truck says 60-65, so I went ahead and threw a new fuel pump in it Thanksgiving night. The old one had 180k on it and was original, so it getting weak was not a surprise. On the test drive I noticed the STFT were back closer to zero, and on the way to and from work Friday the LTFT started dropping. Today saw the same reductions and with no more codes since the fuel pump replacement, I'm calling her fixed. :nabble_smiley_good:

Since I verified no vacuum leaks, I moved on to fuel. I had issues with the truck firing off a little slower than usual, and occasional hiccups at higher rpms. I stuck my fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and found the fuel pressure at 50 PSI. The spec in the Ford shop manual for this truck says 60-65, so I went ahead and threw a new fuel pump in it Thanksgiving night. The old one had 180k on it and was original, so it getting weak was not a surprise. On the test drive I noticed the STFT were back closer to zero, and on the way to and from work Friday the LTFT started dropping. Today saw the same reductions and with no more codes since the fuel pump replacement, I'm calling her fixed. :nabble_smiley_good:

Another pierce of the puzzle (or layer of the onion, as Gary would say)

Glad to be rid of that light, I'm sure! :nabble_smiley_good:

Yippee! Glad you got it fixed - before it failed you. :nabble_anim_claps: