Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

I went with my Dad in a Silver Hawk, test drive on a lot. I was young but thought it was cool!

Ok, took some pictures of a friends bull. Said this evening he had been driving it for 30 years. Thought you all might like it.

Winch bumper Flareside isn't a combo you often see.

Looks good, Dane! :nabble_smiley_good:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n71149/A2F6FD34-E5E1-410E-A3CE-DB7634D4D0FC.jpeg

Nice truck! As much as I love my factory mounted (external) tail lights and tailgate chains, this one looks pretty clean without both. I assume he has custom latches mounted inside the gate...that's a pretty common mod.

I assume it was originally a Styleside truck?

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n71149/A2F6FD34-E5E1-410E-A3CE-DB7634D4D0FC.jpeg

Nice truck! As much as I love my factory mounted (external) tail lights and tailgate chains, this one looks pretty clean without both. I assume he has custom latches mounted inside the gate...that's a pretty common mod.

I assume it was originally a Styleside truck?

The Hawks were a cool cars. And, they ran pretty well, although the Golden Hawk got the attention with the supercharger.

Anyway, that Flareside is ..... unusual. As Jim said, you don't often see a winch bumper with a Flareside bed. So it is less than "smooth" in front, but with the taillights integrated into the bumper in the rear it is smooth back there.

The Hawks were a cool cars. And, they ran pretty well, although the Golden Hawk got the attention with the supercharger.

Anyway, that Flareside is ..... unusual. As Jim said, you don't often see a winch bumper with a Flareside bed. So it is less than "smooth" in front, but with the taillights integrated into the bumper in the rear it is smooth back there.

Gary, you do realize that the 1955-56 Golden Hawks had Packard Clipper V8s, 320 ci in 1955 and 352 ci in 1956. When S-P killed Packard and built the Packardbakers for 1957-58 to honor their commitment to the Packard dealers it was a stopgap to keep things going after the big AMC/S-P merger fell apart. Studebaker wasn't the only beneficiary of Packard's big V8s, Hudson and Nash also got them as the long term plan was for S-P to merge with AMC (which would probably not have ended well for Chrysler).

Gary, you do realize that the 1955-56 Golden Hawks had Packard Clipper V8s, 320 ci in 1955 and 352 ci in 1956. When S-P killed Packard and built the Packardbakers for 1957-58 to honor their commitment to the Packard dealers it was a stopgap to keep things going after the big AMC/S-P merger fell apart. Studebaker wasn't the only beneficiary of Packard's big V8s, Hudson and Nash also got them as the long term plan was for S-P to merge with AMC (which would probably not have ended well for Chrysler).

I wish the pictures were better. It’s a 1981 frame with a 1984 F250 diesel cab and clip.

351W with a ZF5 and transfer case out of a 1995 I think. Good eye on the tailgate latches. I’ll have to look closer next time.

And it was a styleside Cory, again good eye! He couldn’t remember the year of bed but said it was era correct.

Edit: That’s my Bronco in the background of the one picture, classing up the place!

I wish the pictures were better. It’s a 1981 frame with a 1984 F250 diesel cab and clip.

351W with a ZF5 and transfer case out of a 1995 I think. Good eye on the tailgate latches. I’ll have to look closer next time.

And it was a styleside Cory, again good eye! He couldn’t remember the year of bed but said it was era correct.

Edit: That’s my Bronco in the background of the one picture, classing up the place!

We'd often call this a "bitsa" as in.... bits of this and bits of that.

:nabble_smiley_good: Dane. Always keeping it classy!

• 2 weeks later...

We'd often call this a "bitsa" as in.... bits of this and bits of that.

:nabble_smiley_good: Dane. Always keeping it classy!

Well, not a Bullnose, technically a truck though. I am in the process of replacing my 1994 Taurus LX with a 2009 Flex Limited. For Gary, it has the 3.5L Ecoboost V6 which I believe is the same engine as Blue has. 6 speed transaxle and AWD (standard on ecoboost) with a class III receiver already on it so it should handle (a) my 2K capacity Aluma and (b) my brake equipt tow dolly for taking the konvertible to the muffler shop.

Well, not a Bullnose, technically a truck though. I am in the process of replacing my 1994 Taurus LX with a 2009 Flex Limited. For Gary, it has the 3.5L Ecoboost V6 which I believe is the same engine as Blue has. 6 speed transaxle and AWD (standard on ecoboost) with a class III receiver already on it so it should handle (a) my 2K capacity Aluma and (b) my brake equipt tow dolly for taking the konvertible to the muffler shop.

Those turbo Flex look a little weird but we're ROCKETS with that engine.

(Probably no weirder that the Taurus 'jellybean' did when they came out....)

Those turbo Flex look a little weird but we're ROCKETS with that engine.

(Probably no weirder that the Taurus 'jellybean' did when they came out....)

Jim - You and Janey think they look weird. I think they look cool. But you are right about the engine, with the 3.5L EB they would be rockets, or rocket sleds.

I wanted to buy one when we bought the 2011 Murano. Janey was amenable but the salesman told me the EB wasn't available in it. A few months later we took a trip in the Murano to NM where my good friend showed me the video of all the testing Ford did with the EB and explained it was available in the Flex. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Bill - I think you are going to love it! It'll easily pull what you've listed, and then some. And it will have tons of interior room. Cool!

Jim - You and Janey think they look weird. I think they look cool. But you are right about the engine, with the 3.5L EB they would be rockets, or rocket sleds.

I wanted to buy one when we bought the 2011 Murano. Janey was amenable but the salesman told me the EB wasn't available in it. A few months later we took a trip in the Murano to NM where my good friend showed me the video of all the testing Ford did with the EB and explained it was available in the Flex. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Bill - I think you are going to love it! It'll easily pull what you've listed, and then some. And it will have tons of interior room. Cool!

Gary, we already have a 2011 Flex Limited, non-ecoboost. We like it for all the reasons stated, it is closest thing to a traditional station wagon you can buy. Seats folded, loads of cargo room, seats up, 7 passengers. we have the middle seat refrigerator/freezer, middle seat HVAC controls, also the kiddie entertainment system, dual screen DVD players that can also be run from the front. Both of us love the SYNC system for hands free calling (which can also be done verbally). It has the HID projector headlights which remind me of the ones a friend gave me for my GT350, he brought them back from Canada as a Christmas present, they were so strong I could read the registry number on a boat parked at the end of our 2 block long dead end street as soon as I turned in and hit the high beams. The Flex headlights do not "dim", they have a shutter that covers the upper left side of the beam for "low" beam.