Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

No, 2003 Ranger Edge is my white Ranger. EDGE was a trim package from 2001-2005 on the Ranger, replaced by the SPORT package, both of which feature vinyl floors and color-matched bumpers and fender flares. All of them were Torsion Bar trucks with 4wd frames, even if they were 2wd like my 2003.

This new truck is a 2002 Ranger XLT with a 3.0 and an automatic transmission. It's 4x2 with coil springs, so it will ride nicer than my white truck. It was owned by my great Uncle who bought it in 2007. It only has 75,000 miles on it, but hasn't been driven in a few months. I've worked on it a couple of times, including changing the oil, fixing the rear doors (that are now broken again), etc. I have alot of plans for it, but number one on the list is to go over the truck with a fine-tooth comb and make it a reliable daily. I plan to drive both Rangers interchangeably depending on how I feel that day. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Cool! So, what tranny does it have? I lost track of them after the E4OD.

Thanks guys! Feels weird to own so many trucks. Haha.

Rangers had the (in chronological order) C3, C5, A4LD, 4R44E (4R55E for 4.0 V6), and 5R44E (5R55E for 4.0 V6). This one should have the 5R44E.

4-Speed, Rear wheel drive, 44o (or 55o) torque rating, Electronic control

5-speed, Rear wheel drive, 44o (or 55o) torque rating, Electronic control

Rangers had the (in chronological order) C3, C5, A4LD, 4R44E (4R55E for 4.0 V6), and 5R44E (5R55E for 4.0 V6). This one should have the 5R44E.

Thanks for the decoder ring, Shaun. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks for the decoder ring, Shaun. :nabble_smiley_good:

Haven't even had the truck for a day and it's already torn apart. It's not getting fuel and I can't hear the fuel pump prime while switched to ON so I'm investigating that.

How the truck looks now is how it will look permanently, other than new wheels and a lowering kit. I'm not a fan of toppers or step bars on lowered vehicles so this is how it will stay.

Screenshot_20200711-171020_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c560b5c8575c22753fea29bccd2a83e9.jpg

Haven't even had the truck for a day and it's already torn apart. It's not getting fuel and I can't hear the fuel pump prime while switched to ON so I'm investigating that.

How the truck looks now is how it will look permanently, other than new wheels and a lowering kit. I'm not a fan of toppers or step bars on lowered vehicles so this is how it will stay.

Somebody's grandpa will enjoy the topper.

They must be hard to find for Flareside Rangers..

Somebody's grandpa will enjoy the topper.

They must be hard to find for Flareside Rangers..

From what I've been told, they are. This one is solid, but it needs new struts, paint, a lock handle, and to be cleaned on the inside. So can't make golden dollar off of it without putting some work into it.

From what I've been told, they are. This one is solid, but it needs new struts, paint, a lock handle, and to be cleaned on the inside. So can't make golden dollar off of it without putting some work into it.

Mr C's for lift struts.

If $25 can make it a $250 cap you know enough to go there.

You do know how Ford made the 4R44 and 55 into a 5R don't you? I found out when a friend's Exploder 4.0L developed a sloppy shift, running it down the road with my Solus connected told us the clutches were slipping on the 3-4 shift.

You do know how Ford made the 4R44 and 55 into a 5R don't you? I found out when a friend's Exploder 4.0L developed a sloppy shift, running it down the road with my Solus connected told us the clutches were slipping on the 3-4 shift.

Yep, the 5R is still a four forward gear transmission. No actual fifth speed from a gear.

Yep, the 5R is still a four forward gear transmission. No actual fifth speed from a gear.

Sort of like GM claiming the Roto-Hydramatics were 3 speed, 4 stage transmissions. The claim was since the fluid coupling had a stator (called an accelerotor) that in the initial stages starting in 1st it provided a small torque multiplication, now since it was connected directly to the output shaft, it was partially negated by the reaction fighting the power through the gear set.