Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

Florida is basically the remains of a coral reef.

There's not much bedrock and the whole thing is porous.

I remember that acid rain was a big issue (back in the day) because it would dissolve the 'ground' right out from under places, as the aquifer was pumped. dissolved calcium carbonate would be pulled out and the replenishing ground water would not be buffered -basic- by those ions.

I can also envision that rising CO2 levels are going to start eating away at the edges as seawater diffuses from the coasts.

Growing up in north central Florida during the 50s and 60s, sinks were a part of every day life. Start plowing and before you were done a sink had formed some where, usually not that large but some were large and deep. You just planted around them and kept on going. We had a couple of larges ones on the farm, one was our home made go cart track. You took the wheels off the wagon grabbed a couple pieces of rebar for the axels some 2x4 with some nails and fence staples, you had a cart. One you would steer with either your feet or a piece of rope. Of course the brakes were your feet. The goal was to steer down the side of the sink missing the trees, and stopping as close the the water in the bottom as you could without getting wet. This sink was also used by the cows as a watering hole, so the water was rather nasty. So much fun.

Would we let our kids do it today?

Gary would you please add me the members map.

Here in middle Tennessee things are slowly opening back up, so are the number of cases being reported. The boss is keeping me close to home.

Growing up in north central Florida during the 50s and 60s, sinks were a part of every day life. Start plowing and before you were done a sink had formed some where, usually not that large but some were large and deep. You just planted around them and kept on going. We had a couple of larges ones on the farm, one was our home made go cart track. You took the wheels off the wagon grabbed a couple pieces of rebar for the axels some 2x4 with some nails and fence staples, you had a cart. One you would steer with either your feet or a piece of rope. Of course the brakes were your feet. The goal was to steer down the side of the sink missing the trees, and stopping as close the the water in the bottom as you could without getting wet. This sink was also used by the cows as a watering hole, so the water was rather nasty. So much fun.

Would we let our kids do it today?

Gary would you please add me the members map.

Here in middle Tennessee things are slowly opening back up, so are the number of cases being reported. The boss is keeping me close to home.

Sounds like a fun game.

As for adding you, happy to do so but where?

Any excuse for a party in The Big Easy...

Laissez les bons temps rouler :nabble_anim_handshake:

They still haven't fixed the sinkholes. They said on the news that the sinkholes were naturally formed, but there's nothing natural about digging a large retention pond and digging trenches for new drainage/water pipes? But what do I know, I'm just a casual observer who watched them four lane that same road and saw all the equipment they used to manipulate the ground where the sinkholes opened up. :nabble_smiley_whistling: