Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

It's really hard to see the original incident as anything but a murder. Also typically after something like this the cops are placed on "paid administrative leave" pending the investigation. In this case all 4 cops were fired within a couple of hours. The next day the ST.Paul police chief, Ramsey county sheriff and Hennepin county sheriff were all calling for an arrest. And about day 2 there were 3rd degree murder / manslaughter charges against the one cop and he was in jail. (Minneapolis and St.Paul are just across the Mississippi river from each other, St.Paul is in Ramsey county, Minneapolis in Hennepin, and the incident took place in Minneapolis.) So yes, this was a big one.

Living at ground-zero for this, the thing I didn't see coming was the riots all across the country. That finally made our local news last night. But I guess the good thing about that is that locally things did stay pretty quiet last night so we could look outside for a bit. (The rocket launch hasn't been mentioned here.)

I have my personal opinions about this incident and others.

(Let me preface by saying my younger brother is shift commander in a smaller city with high crime and also a lot of mental health issues due to the regional veterans hospital)

I have not, and probably will not speak to him about this.

The charge should depend on whether a civil rights case is levied.

Death in the commission of another felony is murder one regardless (in my state)

Now -opinion-

The cop should have let off once it was obvious the suspect was unconscious.

The other two officers holding him down are complicit.

Selling cigarettes or trying to pass a fake $20 are no reason to die.

Neither one of these guys appeared to be physically resisting and neither were an immediate threat given lack of weapons and presence of backup.

I well remember Compton afire after the release of the Rodney King video.

But I don't remember riots destroying property in other cities.

You have subjugated an entire race.

Of course people are indignant and tempers flare.

Add a few provocateurs and this is the result.

I don't have answers, but I will say the fact that this is not an isolated incident, and there is incontrovertible proof... Is precisely why you have riots.

I still get goosebumps....

27,000 mps

I love it!

It was KPH wasn't it? My screen was too small, so the text was grainy, but I thought they mentioned Mach 1 when it went over 1200...

Correct...it was km/hr. 27,000 m/sec is about one and a half times the escape velocity of the solar system, so they would be well on their way to Alpha Centauri at that rate. So they'd be making history, just not the one they were hoping for. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I still get goosebumps....

27,000 mps

I love it!

It was KPH wasn't it? My screen was too small, so the text was grainy, but I thought they mentioned Mach 1 when it went over 1200...

Correct...it was km/hr. 27,000 m/sec is about one and a half times the escape velocity of the solar system, so they would be well on their way to Alpha Centauri at that rate. So they'd be making history, just not the one they were hoping for. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

:nabble_smiley_good: Still, pretty cool. My wife was surprised that it was the first time I had seen a launch live. But growing up on the dark continent, space flight/travel is way down the list of priorities or news and talking points etc. And I only just saw this one by chance, as she was watching when I came inside for a late lunch! Glad I did.

:nabble_smiley_good: Still, pretty cool. My wife was surprised that it was the first time I had seen a launch live. But growing up on the dark continent, space flight/travel is way down the list of priorities or news and talking points etc. And I only just saw this one by chance, as she was watching when I came inside for a late lunch! Glad I did.
For your next trick you really need to get down to Florida for a launch - there's nothing else like it on Earth.

I'm sure the Falcon 9 is impressive enough when it goes up, but I'm waiting for the first Starship launches - when Elon finally gets those things going, it will be incredible.

For your next trick you really need to get down to Florida for a launch - there's nothing else like it on Earth.

I'm sure the Falcon 9 is impressive enough when it goes up, but I'm waiting for the first Starship launches - when Elon finally gets those things going, it will be incredible.

You'll have to go to Boca Chica for Starship.I originally wrote KPH, but as I continued to watch the Space-X feed they kept saying meters per second.I may be wrong, but it was drilled into me enough that I went back and changed my post.

You'll have to go to Boca Chica for Starship.

The early testing is being done there, but operationally it will definitely fly from Kennedy. I've heard it's probable that they will also fly from Boca Chica, but I don't know if that is definite yet. The weather there is probably better, but I'm also sure NASA would prefer to fly the missions it buys from KSC.

I will say it's great to be living in a time in which we can wonder about all the possibilities of where to fly huge rockets from...

You'll have to go to Boca Chica for Starship.

I originally wrote KPH, but as I continued to watch the Space-X feed they kept saying meters per second.

I may be wrong, but it was drilled into me enough that I went back and changed my post.

I heard that too, but I assumed the announcer did not quite grasp the metric system. I was watching a couple of different feeds as some had delays(trying to get to the one my wife was watching) and heard different units of measure...

Seeing a launch in person would be a worthwhile experience I think and should be added to my bucket list!