Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

Meanwhile, here in northwest Alabama, it was 64F, this morning with clear skies. We still have time for warm weather, though, as August is usually our hottest month! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yep, it was 65 here in Okiehoma this morn. Sitting on the back porch sipping coffee was chilly, but good! Going to take advantage of the cool weather and mow this afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...
Yep, it was 65 here in Okiehoma this morn. Sitting on the back porch sipping coffee was chilly, but good! Going to take advantage of the cool weather and mow this afternoon.
Through a series of unfortunate events, my brother James is now the owner of his son's 1995 F-250. He had been considering trading in his gasoline Ch*vy Silverado for a diesel Ford to more easily trailer his tractor around to jobs, but has now decided instead to upgrade the 5.8L engine in the '95 to a 5.9L Cummins turbodiesel. Having located a suitable engine via Facebook, James asked me if I'd like to take a little trip with him to pick it up. I told him I'd be happy to, but why did he want me along? As it happened, the engine was in the possession of none other than http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/florida-man-42_orig.jpg, and he thought it would be best to have backup. Being the loyal brother that I am, I of course agreed.As http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/florida-man-42_orig.jpg put it, "Google maps can't get you here", so we had a carefully detailed route into the Osceola National Forest plotted out. We left Atlanta at 7am, followed the directions carefully, and ended up at a likely-looking place deep in the woods. We weren't sure we were at the right place until we pulled up close:

IMG_2003.jpg.a5a4b4f67424bdeacc05de4f61e57cb5.jpg

That's when we saw it - the universal symbol of the northern variety Florida Man. We were in the right place! Or we thought we were, anyway...there are many Florida Men, were we sure this was the right one? Going around the back, we knew for certain that this was indeed where we were supposed to be:

61937138458__9F655B92-DFB0-4697-8AE0-E438BBC92DCB.jpg.cac7fdd7946d45711a7fbf4b025e54e4.jpg

Yep, http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/florida-man-42_orig.jpg has his own private junkyard. There were probably three dozen trucks in various states of disassembly, ranging from early 1990s into the early 2010s. The red 2003 1995 Dodge on the right of the photo was our target.James (understandably) wanted to see the engine start and run before he bought it, so http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/florida-man-42_orig.jpg had agreed to leave it in the truck and start it cold after we arrived. He did, it started and ran perfectly, and the deal was made. James and I left for a long lunch, and when we returned two hours later the engine was ready to go:

IMG_2007.jpg.04cc78369680c5749c9b4f2fa52f6434.jpg

The truth of the matter is that James (back to the camera) and I were both born in Florida, so there are four http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/florida-man-42_orig.jpg in the photo, and one behind the camera. We hit the road just before 3pm, and a little after 7pm we had made it back to Atlanta with the cargo intact:

IMG_2009.jpg.5506145c8eb6af55189ca52f5de68e89.jpg

600 miles round trip, 12 hours start to finish, and some quality brotherly bonding time - all in all it was a successful mission.And...now that I've had my fun with the whole thing, let me just say that Mike (whose last name I never got) was a gentleman and 100% as good as his word. So if Mike in the Osceola National Forest near Sanderson FL offers to sell you truck parts, buy with confidence.

Through a series of unfortunate events, my brother James is now the owner of his son's 1995 F-250. He had been considering trading in his gasoline Ch*vy Silverado for a diesel Ford to more easily trailer his tractor around to jobs, but has now decided instead to upgrade the 5.8L engine in the '95 to a 5.9L Cummins turbodiesel. Having located a suitable engine via Facebook, James asked me if I'd like to take a little trip with him to pick it up. I told him I'd be happy to, but why did he want me along? As it happened, the engine was in the possession of none other than :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:, and he thought it would be best to have backup. Being the loyal brother that I am, I of course agreed.As :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: put it, "Google maps can't get you here", so we had a carefully detailed route into the Osceola National Forest plotted out. We left Atlanta at 7am, followed the directions carefully, and ended up at a likely-looking place deep in the woods. We weren't sure we were at the right place until we pulled up close:

That's when we saw it - the universal symbol of the northern variety Florida Man. We were in the right place! Or we thought we were, anyway...there are many Florida Men, were we sure this was the right one? Going around the back, we knew for certain that this was indeed where we were supposed to be:

Yep, :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: has his own private junkyard. There were probably three dozen trucks in various states of disassembly, ranging from early 1990s into the early 2010s. The red 2003 1995 Dodge on the right of the photo was our target.James (understandably) wanted to see the engine start and run before he bought it, so :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: had agreed to leave it in the truck and start it cold after we arrived. He did, it started and ran perfectly, and the deal was made. James and I left for a long lunch, and when we returned two hours later the engine was ready to go:

The truth of the matter is that James (back to the camera) and I were both born in Florida, so there are four :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: in the photo, and one behind the camera. We hit the road just before 3pm, and a little after 7pm we had made it back to Atlanta with the cargo intact:

600 miles round trip, 12 hours start to finish, and some quality brotherly bonding time - all in all it was a successful mission.And...now that I've had my fun with the whole thing, let me just say that Mike (whose last name I never got) was a gentleman and 100% as good as his word. So if Mike in the Osceola National Forest near Sanderson FL offers to sell you truck parts, buy with confidence.

Florida seems to be the destination for some brotherly bonding time. My brother and I went to retrieve Big Blue from there.But, apparently there are good :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: and not so good :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:? Yours not only proved the engine was good but pulled it and set it in your truck. Mine took four years to deliver Vernon's 460, but it appears it was actually pulled from a salvage and just prettied up.Anyway, glad you had a good trip, Matthew. :nabble_smiley_good:

Florida seems to be the destination for some brotherly bonding time. My brother and I went to retrieve Big Blue from there.

But, apparently there are good :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: and not so good :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:? Yours not only proved the engine was good but pulled it and set it in your truck. Mine took four years to deliver Vernon's 460, but it appears it was actually pulled from a salvage and just prettied up.

Anyway, glad you had a good trip, Matthew. :nabble_smiley_good:

Cool story bro!

They used to say that right?

Seriously, that is cool!

Florida seems to be the destination for some brotherly bonding time. My brother and I went to retrieve Big Blue from there.

But, apparently there are good :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: and not so good :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:? Yours not only proved the engine was good but pulled it and set it in your truck. Mine took four years to deliver Vernon's 460, but it appears it was actually pulled from a salvage and just prettied up.

Anyway, glad you had a good trip, Matthew. :nabble_smiley_good:

Maybe it was pulled from Mike's backyard???? :nabble_smiley_what:

Through a series of unfortunate events, my brother James is now the owner of his son's 1995 F-250. He had been considering trading in his gasoline Ch*vy Silverado for a diesel Ford to more easily trailer his tractor around to jobs, but has now decided instead to upgrade the 5.8L engine in the '95 to a 5.9L Cummins turbodiesel. Having located a suitable engine via Facebook, James asked me if I'd like to take a little trip with him to pick it up. I told him I'd be happy to, but why did he want me along? As it happened, the engine was in the possession of none other than :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:, and he thought it would be best to have backup. Being the loyal brother that I am, I of course agreed.As :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: put it, "Google maps can't get you here", so we had a carefully detailed route into the Osceola National Forest plotted out. We left Atlanta at 7am, followed the directions carefully, and ended up at a likely-looking place deep in the woods. We weren't sure we were at the right place until we pulled up close:

Yep, :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: has his own private junkyard. There were probably three dozen trucks in various states of disassembly, ranging from early 1990s into the early 2010s. The red 2003 1995 Dodge on the right of the photo was our target.James (understandably) wanted to see the engine start and run before he bought it, so :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: had agreed to leave it in the truck and start it cold after we arrived. He did, it started and ran perfectly, and the deal was made. James and I left for a long lunch, and when we returned two hours later the engine was ready to go:

The truth of the matter is that James (back to the camera) and I were both born in Florida, so there are four :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: in the photo, and one behind the camera. We hit the road just before 3pm, and a little after 7pm we had made it back to Atlanta with the cargo intact:

Matthew, James has a project on his hands.Does he know what he's gotten into, and have the facility to pull it off?Good to hear from you! :nabble_anim_handshake:Sorry to hear about your nephew.

Cool story bro!

They used to say that right?

Seriously, that is cool!

Dane - Yes, they used to say that. My brother still calls me "bro". Started it back "then" and hasn't stopped.

Jim - My :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: may have gotten it from Matthew's :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:, but with the understanding that it was worn out. Imagine putting a Edelbrock intake and water pump, and supposedly cam, on a worn out engine?

Dane - Yes, they used to say that. My brother still calls me "bro". Started it back "then" and hasn't stopped.

Jim - My :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: may have gotten it from Matthew's :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:, but with the understanding that it was worn out. Imagine putting a Edelbrock intake and water pump, and supposedly cam, on a worn out engine?

I personally can't imagine it...

But some low down snake in the grass might try to pull that on Vernon, sadly.

I hear :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: has a problem with snakes now.

Maybe Burmese Python will become the new alligator nuggets?

If it starts selling for $15/Lb the 'problem' would quickly be rectified.

As for Vern's snake? I'm of a mind that he should be unmasked and subject to public ridicule.

But then, I'm not opposed to both stocks and gallows.