Bullnose Forum

The FORD Lounge

So, the scientists you know are completely incompetent, and more challenged than somebody with Down's?

Er, no...but that's not the claim I was making. 'Book smart, not street smart' is closer to the mark.

I'm well aware of the 'book smart, is not street smart' type.

I have to deal with them every day.

And it's incredibly frustrating.

Even when well intentioned, they should just get out of the way and let the grown ups handle things.

There are no (or very few) 'grown ups' available, that's the problem.

Example: There was an opening on my wife's team last year. They got it down to two candidates - an M.D./PhD individual who was formerly a high official in the Armenian government health system (he was either the minister, or a top deputy to the minister, I don't recall which) and has worked around the world as a research scientist, and a young woman who had just graduated from Emory with a PhD.

They hired the woman, because woman. She left the position last month without having ever completed her research paper, because a spot opened up in the group that she really wanted to be in. So she's gone, the paper is in limbo, and Lev (the Armenian dude) is currently cooling his heels in Moscow.

This is *not* an unusual story at the CDC.

So, the scientists you know are completely incompetent, and more challenged than somebody with Down's?

Er, no...but that's not the claim I was making. 'Book smart, not street smart' is closer to the mark.

I'm well aware of the 'book smart, is not street smart' type.

I have to deal with them every day.

And it's incredibly frustrating.

Even when well intentioned, they should just get out of the way and let the grown ups handle things.

There are no (or very few) 'grown ups' available, that's the problem.

Example: There was an opening on my wife's team last year. They got it down to two candidates - an M.D./PhD individual who was formerly a high official in the Armenian government health system (he was either the minister, or a top deputy to the minister, I don't recall which) and has worked around the world as a research scientist, and a young woman who had just graduated from Emory with a PhD.

They hired the woman, because woman. She left the position last month without having ever completed her research paper, because a spot opened up in the group that she really wanted to be in. So she's gone, the paper is in limbo, and Lev (the Armenian dude) is currently cooling his heels in Moscow.

This is *not* an unusual story at the CDC.

I was going with the part where you said they needed help to tie their shoes....

Yeah, its very sad when people with decades of 'boots on the ground' experience get passed over because of nepotism or the perceived need for "inclusiveness"... when what they really need is someone who knows what the hell they are doing, and has a record of getting it done.

Welcome to the world we live in.....

I wish there was better data about what is going on, who is affected, etc.

I did notice this yesterday.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/2/21201832/novel-coronavirus-covid-19-best-graphs-tracking-data

Still just figures and charts, but in depth with some explanations.

Happy Easter, everyone!

You know what the best thing about Easter is (besides human salvation, life everlasting, etc etc etc)? A new supply of small-parts cups!

IMG_1598.jpg.a0eb685f7446757fc8a48841443ec330.jpg

:nabble_smiley_happy:

I just saw the strap and pink buckle. And, well.... :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I guess driving my old Bullnose is going to be on hold for a while. I started having some knee pain about a week ago, and over the weekend it got extreme enough I had to go get it checked out. It is swelled up like a melon, and I can't walk on it. Doc thinks it is the "King's Disease" aka Gout, or PseudoGout as it were. It's one of those things I've heard about my whole life (I know a lot of alcoholics...lol) but have never experienced. There will be no clutch pedal pushing for Rembrant for a while. They pulled some fluid from the knee are are doing some testing.

Bad genes I tell ya, part of being an Irish/Scottish/English mutt...lol.

On the up side, talk about super service at the hospital. Wow...it was almost surreal to walk into the place and it be basically empty. Empty waiting room, and nothing but crickets. I went straight in which would never have happened under normal circumstances.

I guess driving my old Bullnose is going to be on hold for a while. I started having some knee pain about a week ago, and over the weekend it got extreme enough I had to go get it checked out. It is swelled up like a melon, and I can't walk on it. Doc thinks it is the "King's Disease" aka Gout, or PseudoGout as it were. It's one of those things I've heard about my whole life (I know a lot of alcoholics...lol) but have never experienced. There will be no clutch pedal pushing for Rembrant for a while. They pulled some fluid from the knee are are doing some testing.

Bad genes I tell ya, part of being an Irish/Scottish/English mutt...lol.

On the up side, talk about super service at the hospital. Wow...it was almost surreal to walk into the place and it be basically empty. Empty waiting room, and nothing but crickets. I went straight in which would never have happened under normal circumstances.

Sorry to see that, Cory! I knew another guy with gout, and a teeny little pill controlled it, and quickly. Did they give you any medication?