Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

Yes! And the window I was looking through was double-paned bulletproof glass, set in the wall at a 45° angle, so anything flying into it would be deflected to the floor rather than giving a direct hit to the glass. The fire suppression system in the dyno rooms was pretty serious too!

After my 'accident' in 1984, I worked at Westinghouse, selling time on their satellites.

The full halon systems there would snuff you if you didn't make it out the door in time. 💀

After my 'accident' in 1984, I worked at Westinghouse, selling time on their satellites.

The full halon systems there would snuff you if you didn't make it out the door in time. 💀

The system in the GM test labs when I was there was carbon dioxide. The lines would be purged with air after any time they were used or tested, so when the system was triggered you had several seconds warning as the system screamed while blowing air on the fire (I guess that was a little exciting too!). Then the CO2 would get there and you didn't want to be in the room!

Also the doors were spring loaded closed, and there were CO2 pipes you could hook them open on. When the system was pressurized a plunger would be pushed out, popping the chain off so the door would automatically swing closed.

Shortly after I started there we had a safety training. One of the managers told us about a time he had seen someone go down in a cell from the CO2. He took a deep breath and went in to pull the guy out.

Turns out an interesting thing about the human body is that it doesn't really care how much oxygen is in your lungs, it cares about how much CO2 is there. If the CO2 concentration gets too high there's an involuntary response to exhale. As he was pulling the other guy out he sucked in a little CO2. Even though he still had a lot of oxygen left, his body decided to get rid of the CO2 and he exhaled all of his oxygen.

The next thing he knew both of them were coming to after someone with an oxygen mask had pulled them both out!

The system in the GM test labs when I was there was carbon dioxide. The lines would be purged with air after any time they were used or tested, so when the system was triggered you had several seconds warning as the system screamed while blowing air on the fire (I guess that was a little exciting too!). Then the CO2 would get there and you didn't want to be in the room!

Also the doors were spring loaded closed, and there were CO2 pipes you could hook them open on. When the system was pressurized a plunger would be pushed out, popping the chain off so the door would automatically swing closed.

Shortly after I started there we had a safety training. One of the managers told us about a time he had seen someone go down in a cell from the CO2. He took a deep breath and went in to pull the guy out.

Turns out an interesting thing about the human body is that it doesn't really care how much oxygen is in your lungs, it cares about how much CO2 is there. If the CO2 concentration gets too high there's an involuntary response to exhale. As he was pulling the other guy out he sucked in a little CO2. Even though he still had a lot of oxygen left, his body decided to get rid of the CO2 and he exhaled all of his oxygen.

The next thing he knew both of them were coming to after someone with an oxygen mask had pulled them both out!

The satellite uplink room had gates that slammed down 6 seconds after the alarm sounded.

There was no coming back from that.

At least it wouldn't burn your lungs out with carbonic acid... 🥺

Reminds me of different kinds of fire suppression systems I saw in my Navy tour.

Did my share of working with LOX converters, chest and panel mounted regulators and testing LOX samples.

Thankfully never had fire to deal with.

When I worked in an engine test lab at General Motors (and yes, I drove a Ford truck to work), once I was looking into a dyno cell through the window and saw the harmonic balancer coming off an engine that was at about 6500 rpm. I yelled at the tech to shut it down. He hit the e-stop button which turned the 600 hp DC dyno into a 600 hp electric motor trying to turn the engine backward. I couldn't believe how far that engine torqued over! No way I'd have thought the motor mounts would allow that much motion!

But we were too late, the balancer did come off. For what seemed like about 5 minutes (but was probably closer to 5 seconds) we listened to it bang off everything it could find. The bangs started coming farther apart, and as we waited to see if we had heard the last bang I had an image in my head from a Roadrunner cartoon, where the balancer was sitting there, spinning, waiting for us to open the door so it could take a run at us as soon as we opened the door!

I have had the outer ring on a 460 balancer come loose, but the most interesting one was the 1978 GM 5.7L Diesel that suddenly developed a knock, still ran fairly well, but I had a spare so swapped engines. Pulled it out and found that I could move the flex plate a bit before the balancer moved.

I assumed it was a bad flex plate, but when I pulled the engine there was no evidence. Pulled the pan and found the crank was broken just behind the 5-6 crank throw. Carried the pieces in to work and found a fatigue starter crack.

I have had the outer ring on a 460 balancer come loose, but the most interesting one was the 1978 GM 5.7L Diesel that suddenly developed a knock, still ran fairly well, but I had a spare so swapped engines. Pulled it out and found that I could move the flex plate a bit before the balancer moved.

I assumed it was a bad flex plate, but when I pulled the engine there was no evidence. Pulled the pan and found the crank was broken just behind the 5-6 crank throw. Carried the pieces in to work and found a fatigue starter crack.

Those things almost scared the American public away from diesels with their problems. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Here are a couple of pictures of the RMS Titanic Port engine model. The gray columns showing above the model are the rods for the cylinders.

Ok, I finally got the Titanic engine finished. Here are the pictures of the completed model:

DSCN5730a.jpg.0c7ac65cb12107f8609119915685201f.jpgDSCN5732a.jpg.e5dcbb86322d4b29dcf9537492e0db9e.jpg

DSCN5731a.jpg.9b3e28f1dcb0ca0fc0a42aa078c19f54.jpgDSCN5733a.jpg.aaa729a00616a3b2964834f8427bc31a.jpg

Ok, I finally got the Titanic engine finished. Here are the pictures of the completed model:

Nice! That thing was massive! (I guess "is massive" is more accurate as it still exists, albeit somewhat hard to get to.)