Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

Plug- in hybrids are necessarily a thing.

Automakers won't abandon them because the dealers demand that recurring service bay revenue stream.

I, personally, would never want to deal with BOTH a battery+charge controller and electric motors -AND- a ineffective gas or diesel engine driving an alternator/generator on the go.

When the Prius and Insight first came out a generation ago they were relevant and trailblazing.

Today the Prius is just another consumer appliance.

20240228_183913.jpg.6390418e5ffa24e084c4359d8a80a6eb.jpg

Imagine.

There would be no infrastructure.

No gas stations, tanker trucks, depots or refineries.

There would be no stores with spark plugs, wires and ignition coils. No air filters, oil filters or oil to speak of. No mufflers. No radiators or coolant to eliminate all the wasted heat. No starter motors, fuel tanks or injectors to be had.

People would resent having to travel to a special, smelly, place a few times each week just to keep driving...

Nobody would want them because of astronomical maintenance costs and fuel per mile...

And petroleum exploration would be just as disastrous as it has already proven.

Santa Barbara, the Gulf of Mexico, Prince William Sound, Cadiz, Atlantic Empress, Nowrus...

There would be war.

Like in Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran and much of the Middle East and North Africa.

Millions dying for the chance to :nabble_poo-23_orig: all over themselves and their environment.

Sounds like utopia to me!

Imagine.

There would be no infrastructure.

No gas stations, tanker trucks, depots or refineries.

There would be no stores with spark plugs, wires and ignition coils. No air filters, oil filters or oil to speak of. No mufflers. No radiators or coolant to eliminate all the wasted heat. No starter motors, fuel tanks or injectors to be had.

People would resent having to travel to a special, smelly, place a few times each week just to keep driving...

Nobody would want them because of astronomical maintenance costs and fuel per mile...

And petroleum exploration would be just as disastrous as it has already proven.

Santa Barbara, the Gulf of Mexico, Prince William Sound, Cadiz, Atlantic Empress, Nowrus...

There would be war.

Like in Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran and much of the Middle East and North Africa.

Millions dying for the chance to :nabble_poo-23_orig: all over themselves and their environment.

Sounds like utopia to me!

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/02/ford-evs-gain-access-to-tesla-superchargers-starting-today/

Plug- in hybrids are necessarily a thing.

Automakers won't abandon them because the dealers demand that recurring service bay revenue stream.

I, personally, would never want to deal with BOTH a battery+charge controller and electric motors -AND- a ineffective gas or diesel engine driving an alternator/generator on the go.

When the Prius and Insight first came out a generation ago they were relevant and trailblazing.

Today the Prius is just another consumer appliance.

One of my friends has 3 insights.

He's an odd collector fellow of sorts, and one of those 'hypermiler' enthusiast kinda drivers.

After getting to know him and watching him run his bowtie early 80s 'perpetual oxidation experiment' pickup as I call it.. an 82 1500 Silverado that is rusting very quickly.. I see he enjoys fuel as much as I do but gets amusement from the insight and the electric power.

Apparently those things have ring gear issues where the steel gear connects to the aluminum flywheel. All 3 cars are suffering the same ailment.

Not just simply riveted on or friction fit like a normal flywheel is, these things have splines and some allowable tolerance or some other ingenious idea that turned into their Achilles heel.

He's currently trying to 3D print his own repair idea.

One of my friends has 3 insights.

He's an odd collector fellow of sorts, and one of those 'hypermiler' enthusiast kinda drivers.

After getting to know him and watching him run his bowtie early 80s 'perpetual oxidation experiment' pickup as I call it.. an 82 1500 Silverado that is rusting very quickly.. I see he enjoys fuel as much as I do but gets amusement from the insight and the electric power.

Apparently those things have ring gear issues where the steel gear connects to the aluminum flywheel. All 3 cars are suffering the same ailment.

Not just simply riveted on or friction fit like a normal flywheel is, these things have splines and some allowable tolerance or some other ingenious idea that turned into their Achilles heel.

He's currently trying to 3D print his own repair idea.

They (Honda) could have solved that with the right coatings on dissimilar metals.

But I assume it's an issue with the heat of the shrink fit.

Honda were pretty innovative with metallurgy.

Like the convolute fiber reinforced cylinder sleeves in their early 80's CVCC engines.

They (Honda) could have solved that with the right coatings on dissimilar metals.

But I assume it's an issue with the heat of the shrink fit.

Honda were pretty innovative with metallurgy.

Like the convolute fiber reinforced cylinder sleeves in their early 80's CVCC engines.

He explained it has to do with the regenerative braking/coasting putting more forces through the mainshaft than they anticipated.

The 'starter' is permanently engaged and the constant back and forth resistance forces take their toll.

He wants to make the whole part from powdered metal and then balance it, hoping the weight difference will aid in the regenerative power production a few percent above the drain of getting it spinning.

I told him when he gets tired, I'll buy one of his jalopies for a hundred bucks and just run the electric motor with a Honda generator and get better mileage.

I swear I saw a light bulb illuminate under his straw hat at that exact moment.

He explained it has to do with the regenerative braking/coasting putting more forces through the mainshaft than they anticipated.

The 'starter' is permanently engaged and the constant back and forth resistance forces take their toll.

He wants to make the whole part from powdered metal and then balance it, hoping the weight difference will aid in the regenerative power production a few percent above the drain of getting it spinning.

I told him when he gets tired, I'll buy one of his jalopies for a hundred bucks and just run the electric motor with a Honda generator and get better mileage.

I swear I saw a light bulb illuminate under his straw hat at that exact moment.

But you never will (get better distance per Wh)

Maybe longer range than available with the stock battery, but even though the E-series generators sip fuel they're still not getting better than 35% efficiency.

And then you're converting torque to electricity and back to torque with the attendant losses....

But you never will (get better distance per Wh)

Maybe longer range than available with the stock battery, but even though the E-series generators sip fuel they're still not getting better than 35% efficiency.

And then you're converting torque to electricity and back to torque with the attendant losses....

At the time those words came out, their intent was to rib on my friend. His straw hat and 6'3" frame folding up origami style to mount/dismount this silver thing he calls transportation needed a little jab.

I told him with a few smartly applied stripes he might get a Coors light sponsorship.

I have no experience with electric vehicles or the interest to delve into it. I'll be fine with buying 93 octane until I can't, but I do find the Hyabusa swapped smart cars to be wildly fascinating.

I'd give $2 to see my friend fold up and get in one of those..

At the time those words came out, their intent was to rib on my friend. His straw hat and 6'3" frame folding up origami style to mount/dismount this silver thing he calls transportation needed a little jab.

I told him with a few smartly applied stripes he might get a Coors light sponsorship.

I have no experience with electric vehicles or the interest to delve into it. I'll be fine with buying 93 octane until I can't, but I do find the Hyabusa swapped smart cars to be wildly fascinating.

I'd give $2 to see my friend fold up and get in one of those..

K turbo swapped Honda Fit's are a freaking blast too! :nabble_smiley_happy: