Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

As some of you know, I have had some severe lower back pain since late January. I am waiting for a call back to set up for surgery at the Jordan Young Institute at Norfolk VA's Sentara Leigh hospital.

As a result I am not doing anything in my garage, so in order to keep from going stir crazy, I have been working on this:

Bill - Please keep us posted. Many of us will keep you in our prayers.

As for the steam engine, that's cool. What RPM did it run at and what kind of power did it produce? Obviously a LOT.

As for the steam engine, that's cool. What RPM did it run at and what kind of power did it produce? Obviously a LOT.

The Titanic or Texas?

Titanic was 75 rpm and 16,000hp

Her sister ships were turbine powered

(There's all kind of esoteric and arcane minutae rattling around in my head. :nabble_anim_crazy:)

The Titanic or Texas?

Titanic was 75 rpm and 16,000hp

Her sister ships were turbine powered

(There's all kind of esoteric and arcane minutae rattling around in my head. :nabble_anim_crazy:)

If Horsepower = (Torque x RPM) / 5,252 then Torque = (Horsepower x 5252)/RPM. My math says (16,000 x 5252)/75 = 1,120,427 lb-ft. :nabble_smiley_oh:

If Horsepower = (Torque x RPM) / 5,252 then Torque = (Horsepower x 5252)/RPM. My math says (16,000 x 5252)/75 = 1,120,427 lb-ft. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Steam is incredibly powerful.

Superheated saturated steam will slice you in half like a laser beam.

There was an incident at the VA hospital in West Haven, where my brother is a police captain...🙄

Surprisingly, water has a greater expansion ratio than nitroglycerin.

Why do you think we still use steam catapults on nuclear aircraft carriers

(Other than EMALS, experimental)

Consolidated....

Now convert to BTU.

You worked on the railroad.

Think of how much coal had to be bunkered to get that heat (even figuring 100% efficiency, which is FAR from reality)

The sign for the completed model says "15,000 hp @ 75 rpm". For those who are not familiar with these, they were directly connected to the propellers, no reduction gear like steam turbines. This was one of the contributing factors. In order to reverse the engines they first had to be stopped, the reversing gear activated, and finally restarted in reverse.

Engine_model_1.jpg.2c446680458bd01d3676ab5dc0bd9ce1.jpg Engine_model_2.jpg.852a670fce77c3adf463c25844b9f9ef.jpg Engine_model_3.jpg.613a0a4a926605e12ae9ae977882f36d.jpg Engine_model_4.jpg.34e3376564f27177d95ec02e420ab214.jpg Engine_model_5.jpg.eba1a92005f154aff09ef6a2ad6f4795.jpg Engine_model_6.jpg.e6521caa2ba0114af9837e0f99ada925.jpg

The sign for the completed model says "15,000 hp @ 75 rpm". For those who are not familiar with these, they were directly connected to the propellers, no reduction gear like steam turbines. This was one of the contributing factors. In order to reverse the engines they first had to be stopped, the reversing gear activated, and finally restarted in reverse.

That's cool Bill!

Sorry about your back, hope you get better.

I have stenosis in three places (I know, stay outta those three places!). Shots haven't helped, just dealing with it.

Standing is the worse for me.

I follow a YouTube channel- alistairc123 -that has huge equipment, like a horizontal boring mill the size of a large house!

... from the Belfast yard that built these ships.

If you like shipyards and heavy repair (like mining equipment) or tractor pulling, or collecting old steam powered tractors n' stuff, check it out

Edit:

It felt like they were already falling when we got there, which is usually true when companies turn to outsourcing. I kinda thought of us as vultures because we seemed to always be pursuing failing companies. And I've always thought that's what Eddie the same way, although he bought whole companies and we just took the IT bits off their hands.

Which circles us back to Boeing and their spinoff of Spirit. Seemed like a move made out of desperation to me. But what do I know about running MAJOR companies?

I remember that my dad had a cartoon of two vultures on a branch with the backdrop of a desert in his basement shop.

One vulture turned to the other, saying "Patience my ***, I'm gonna kill something!"

Yes, this was completely normal for my childhood. 😂

I follow a YouTube channel- alistairc123 -that has huge equipment, like a horizontal boring mill the size of a large house!

... from the Belfast yard that built these ships.

If you like shipyards and heavy repair (like mining equipment) or tractor pulling, or collecting old steam powered tractors n' stuff, check it out

Edit:

Jim, I spent a bit of time doing hardness and other tests in the NNS main machine shop. During the "Naval Holiday" in the 30s, NNS supplemented their income and kept a valuable workforce employed by overhauling C&O locomotives inside that shop. The hydraulic turbines (the ones that spin the generators) in the Hoover dam were made by NNS.

I have run hardness tests on the propeller shafts of Nimitz class carriers in there, they are huge hollow beasts probably around 10' in diameter. During sea trials of the Theodore Roosevelt, Adm Rickover told the NNS and NAVSEA personnel that he was assuming command and taking full responsibility for any problems. Following this he said "NNS has been telling me for years how fast these carriers are, full war emergency power!" At some unknown speed one of the 4 USN provided propellers cracked, the resulting strain put 1.5 turns of twist in the affected shaft!

There was a picture in our company newsletter of a Soviet Bear turboprop bomber pacing one of our new carriers during the high speed portion of the sea trials, no flaps deployed, just flying just far enough away to not be deemed a threat. After Nauticus opened in Norfolk, they have an adjacent slip that is big enough for a cruiser to tie up in. One of the newer gas turbine cruisers was there and after touring the bridge, I let the Chief giving the tour know my employment and asked how their "excess of 30 knots" compared to a carriers. His reply was "their excess is far in excess of our excess".