Bullnose Forums

The FORD Lounge

You might think about a 1 ton as they appear to have lower prices than 3/4 ton, at least according to Hagerty. And if you got a late 85 or an 86 with 4wd it should have the D60 front axle and a better ride than the ones with TTB's.

Yeah that would make sense, as 3/4 ton pickups with a diesel engine are in high demand as the cool new grocery getters these days. And I was thinking of something quite a bit newer with a lot more power. My old work truck was a F150 6.2L and I wouldn't mind having that engine in a stronger truck, or something comparable from Chevy or Dodge. It got 17mpg highway, which I know wouldn't be the same in a F250 or 350, but optioned as it was, it was as heavy as an F150 can get.

You might think about a 1 ton as they appear to have lower prices than 3/4 ton, at least according to Hagerty. And if you got a late 85 or an 86 with 4wd it should have the D60 front axle and a better ride than the ones with TTB's.

Yeah that would make sense, as 3/4 ton pickups with a diesel engine are in high demand as the cool new grocery getters these days. And I was thinking of something quite a bit newer with a lot more power. My old work truck was a F150 6.2L and I wouldn't mind having that engine in a stronger truck, or something comparable from Chevy or Dodge. It got 17mpg highway, which I know wouldn't be the same in a F250 or 350, but optioned as it was, it was as heavy as an F150 can get.

Our decision to restore Big Brother was partially (mainly?) motivated by the price of decent recent used trucks.

Don't know for US, but here (QC Canada) in early 2019, F250HD 4x4 in decent shape, mileage between 100,000km-150,000km, let's say not older than 2014-2015, were priced between 55000$-85000$ CAD.

We spent less money to make Big Bro like new, he's strong enough for our farm job.

Compared with a more recent used truck, the only downside about Big Bro is the fuel consumption, but he doesn't do lot of mileage per year.

Can't call it an "investment" but I think (hope?) that he's not losing value as time goes on, which would not have be the case for a more recent used truck.

And let's admit it's fun that this head turner is a conversation starter with perfect strangers who suddenly need to have a friendly talk with us about this machine.

And finally, well... we love him!

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Our decision to restore Big Brother was partially (mainly?) motivated by the price of decent recent used trucks.

Don't know for US, but here (QC Canada) in early 2019, F250HD 4x4 in decent shape, mileage between 100,000km-150,000km, let's say not older than 2014-2015, were priced between 55000$-85000$ CAD.

We spent less money to make Big Bro like new, he's strong enough for our farm job.

Compared with a more recent used truck, the only downside about Big Bro is the fuel consumption, but he doesn't do lot of mileage per year.

Can't call it an "investment" but I think (hope?) that he's not losing value as time goes on, which would not have be the case for a more recent used truck.

And let's admit it's fun that this head turner is a conversation starter with perfect strangers who suddenly need to have a friendly talk with us about this machine.

And finally, well... we love him!

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Jeff - Here's the Hagerty valuation on Big Bro:

Jeffs_Big_Brother_Evaluation.thumb.jpg.63ee6379d49dc6d743e6886251bf8b69.jpg

Our decision to restore Big Brother was partially (mainly?) motivated by

the price of decent recent used trucks.

That was why I got this here Dodge. $3500 and 266k miles, pretty beat up but was government owned. Great deal for 2021. It's perfectly adequate for my current 3 mile commute and occasional hauling as a suburbanite renter. At the end of the day though, it is absolutely a piece of crap and I have no clue when the transmission will turn into a metal milkshake.

It would be neat to replace it with a much cooler, older truck, but with plans to have kids very soon I can't take on another project. Another government truck with crank windows would be perfect.

Our decision to restore Big Brother was partially (mainly?) motivated by

the price of decent recent used trucks.

That was why I got this here Dodge. $3500 and 266k miles, pretty beat up but was government owned. Great deal for 2021. It's perfectly adequate for my current 3 mile commute and occasional hauling as a suburbanite renter. At the end of the day though, it is absolutely a piece of crap and I have no clue when the transmission will turn into a metal milkshake.

It would be neat to replace it with a much cooler, older truck, but with plans to have kids very soon I can't take on another project. Another government truck with crank windows would be perfect.

This photo was posted on a few truck groups recently. I remember it was made years ago, but not sure who since they just grabbed photos from the internet. Every time it pops back up, it's a reminder that I don't own that 1980 F150 anymore. :nabble_smiley_cry:

323422643_892242641946429_2717225819152072564_n.jpg.d06b07b27caa0263dd23449cdea72631.jpg

I still have the original picture too. Anybody notice the difference? Either I or whoever created that photo collage copied the clear lens to the other side. :nabble_smiley_evil:

GEDC5177.jpg.5f2d790ae6669e6d3fc97e587cd3621a.jpg

This photo was posted on a few truck groups recently. I remember it was made years ago, but not sure who since they just grabbed photos from the internet. Every time it pops back up, it's a reminder that I don't own that 1980 F150 anymore. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I still have the original picture too. Anybody notice the difference? Either I or whoever created that photo collage copied the clear lens to the other side. :nabble_smiley_evil:

I'll bet that hurts, Shaun. Bummer!

But I hadn't noticed the difference, although it is obvious now.

I have clear lenses on my 86, they just look better to me. I think we need a 78-79 next.

I still remember when you mentioned the different/incorrect mirrors the first time you saw that photo all those years ago, lol.

Ray, I prefer the clear lenses as well. Have them on my F350 as well even though it isn't a 1980.

I still remember when you mentioned the different/incorrect mirrors the first time you saw that photo all those years ago, lol.

Ray, I prefer the clear lenses as well. Have them on my F350 as well even though it isn't a 1980.

Well, there are better days than others...

This weekend, had a major hydraulic oil leak on my Kubota B21. The propeller shaft seal died.

Went to the Web, bought workshop manual... Not sure, but I think that the tractor has to be split in two in order to reach the clutch cover (and this 15$ seal).

Not a job I can do. :nabble_smiley_cry: Tractor is at the garage today, we'll see.

If you are curious...

https://youtu.be/Qr1zJ88LfrY