Bullnose Forums

Carburetor/Throttle Help

But he says it's phenolic and the EGR doesn't run through it.

M or W, it doesn't sound like a stock '82 intake.

If he posts a pic we can all see what's up.

IMG_6899.jpg.d31c02b73f8942d590783139a3a9c2ea.jpgIMG_6900.jpg.b1dfd24613ee7976863b6d7920ad2c0b.jpg

I finally had a chance to get to the truck today. Here are some pictures.

And pictures of the carburetor.

Shaun,

The carburetor base appears flat and should seal

Rubbing it on a flat surface with a sheet of 180-220 grit carbide (black) wet-or-dry paper will highlight any warpage.

Just take your time, and don't rock the carb at all, if you can help it.

Shaun,

The carburetor base appears flat and should seal

Rubbing it on a flat surface with a sheet of 180-220 grit carbide (black) wet-or-dry paper will highlight any warpage.

Just take your time, and don't rock the carb at all, if you can help it.

Jim, Shaun, the vacuum passages in the throttle body may be coming outside the strange intake mounting area. This may result in the carburetor not sealing properly. The other item, the mounting gasket does not appear to have the hard reinforcements around the mounting holes. My suggestion would be to find an aluminum adapter like was used to mount a Holley pattern carburetor on a GM or Chrysler manifold, or vice versa. Use it and two thinner gaskets, if the adapter has one side solid and one with it fairly open, put the solid side down.

Jim, Shaun, the vacuum passages in the throttle body may be coming outside the strange intake mounting area. This may result in the carburetor not sealing properly. The other item, the mounting gasket does not appear to have the hard reinforcements around the mounting holes. My suggestion would be to find an aluminum adapter like was used to mount a Holley pattern carburetor on a GM or Chrysler manifold, or vice versa. Use it and two thinner gaskets, if the adapter has one side solid and one with it fairly open, put the solid side down.

Bill,

Isn't the phenolic spacer used to isolate the carburetor from the heat of the intake manifold?

It's got to be hot if the EGR gases are flowing through it, no?

Bill,

Isn't the phenolic spacer used to isolate the carburetor from the heat of the intake manifold?

It's got to be hot if the EGR gases are flowing through it, no?

If the phenolic spacer isn't warped, then yes, but it will still need a pair of gaskets, one under and one over. They need to be reasonably hard so they won't compress too much. The spacer may have some uneven areas as the VV base is different that the Holley base.

• 4 months later...

I finally had a chance to get to the truck today. Here are some pictures.

Hello; My name is Randy and I have the exact intake but a motocraft 2150 carb. Having vacuum leak and idle problems too. Did you get your's resolved and if so what was the solution?

Best regards Randy

Hello; My name is Randy and I have the exact intake but a motocraft 2150 carb. Having vacuum leak and idle problems too. Did you get your's resolved and if so what was the solution? Best regards Randy
Hi Randy,

I am 99% sure that my issue was an amateur carburetor rebuild job. I took my carburetor to a professional and had it rebuilt properly- it needed it! Unfortunately, at some point in all the carburetor work I lost spark and haven’t been able to fix that issue. Make sure you have the right gaskets and take your time. Keep asking around on this site- the guys here are extremely helpful. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Shaun

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 6, 2019, at 7:55 PM, BeagleRock [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you as I've been extremely sick for too long.

As far as rebuilding carburetor I've done that twice + ordered a remanufactured one so I'm going to rule out the carburetor on mine. I think mine could be the phenolic spacer and or the carburetor base being somewhat uneven/warped. I'm still a little sick and don't want to work on it as the temperature is in the low 40s and dropping + it's misting. Anyway sorry to hear about the spark problem. I installed a cheap HEI distributor on mine and connected it to the white wire that powered the EECIII brown grommet ignition box. It seems to work well but is a bit tight if you have factory A/C.

Good luck on finding the spark problem and hit me up if I can help as I would be looking at the same set up as your's. Seems as though 82-83 had some rarities aka the intake manifold itself! + crappy carbs.

Best regards Randy