Bullnose Forums

Carburetor/Throttle Help

It's unlikely you need a new spacer.

Put a sheet of coarse wet-or-dry paper on a flat surface (like a countertop) and move the spacer around in a figure-8 pattern.

Both sides, and the carb base too.

You will see right away if it's not rubbing somewhere.

If there's a big hole in the spacer by the EGR port, than yeah get a new one if you can't weld.

If the carb ears are bent down, then you need to either keep going with the sandpaper or use a little sealant on re-assembly. (Not exactly 'proper practice' but it will fix the leak.)

Start with getting the right *9447 EGR spacer base gasket.

Show them the above picture if you get a counter person who has never seen a carburetor before.

Jim, if the EGR went through the spacer, they erode badly to the point of warping and leaking. Ford started supplying cast iron ones as service parts, we kept a 2 and 4 barrel on the shelf at Preston.

Make sure there are no small pieces of gasket adhering to any of the surfaces and do not use any kind of sealer under the carburetor.

On points, I have a 1970s vintage Poulon Super 25D chainsaw, I tried a breakerless conversion on it, no go, so I have a spare set of points in my toolbox for it. It is old enough to not have a priming bulb and you just have to keep pulling it with the choke closed until it fires, once you get that it will start and run fine.

Jim, if the EGR went through the spacer, they erode badly to the point of warping and leaking. Ford started supplying cast iron ones as service parts, we kept a 2 and 4 barrel on the shelf at Preston.

Make sure there are no small pieces of gasket adhering to any of the surfaces and do not use any kind of sealer under the carburetor.

On points, I have a 1970s vintage Poulon Super 25D chainsaw, I tried a breakerless conversion on it, no go, so I have a spare set of points in my toolbox for it. It is old enough to not have a priming bulb and you just have to keep pulling it with the choke closed until it fires, once you get that it will start and run fine.

Well the sandpaper should take care of any gasket residue.

And it will show erosion.

I can't say I've seen an aluminium EGR spacer on a Ford.

Maybe aftermarket, but the factory iron ones don't seem too bad.

I think better to examine than to just throw parts at it.

(Had this convo with Matthew the other day)

Two strokes, Gravely's, .... stuff

B&S and Volkswagen can always be converted over, most Kolhers too.

But outboards, dirt bikes, BSA's: some things just need points.

BTW, how about an old man shaking fist at clouds emoji????

I think FTE had something like that.

Ahhh! Yes, those would take points.

As for the old man shaking fist at clouds emoji, I didn't find anything that seems to fit that description on FTE. And I didn't find something in my searches. So, can you point me to one?

Ahhh! Yes, those would take points.As for the old man shaking fist at clouds emoji, I didn't find anything that seems to fit that description on FTE. And I didn't find something in my searches. So, can you point me to one?
What material is the spacer supposed to be made of? Mine is not metal and the EGR does not run through it, unless I am really missing something.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 7, 2019, at 6:43 PM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

I think you need to post a pic of that spacer.

Assuming that your truck is a 2bbl, the original spacer should have been cast iron or aluminum. And there would have been an EGR valve hanging off the back of it. So if yours isn't metal then I don't think it is original.

As for the exhaust gas, it comes in via the intake manifold, up into the spacer, and then into the air/fuel mix. Perhaps someone put a spacer on that blocks the EGR port in the intake manifold?

I think you need to post a pic of that spacer.

Assuming that your truck is a 2bbl, the original spacer should have been cast iron or aluminum. And there would have been an EGR valve hanging off the back of it. So if yours isn't metal then I don't think it is original.

As for the exhaust gas, it comes in via the intake manifold, up into the spacer, and then into the air/fuel mix. Perhaps someone put a spacer on that blocks the EGR port in the intake manifold?

Post a pic of the intake manifold surface that mates the spacer as well.

I've never seen a phenolic spacer from the factory.

If you have an aftermarket intake without EGR, then all this talk is redundant.

Post a pic of the intake manifold surface that mates the spacer as well.

I've never seen a phenolic spacer from the factory.

If you have an aftermarket intake without EGR, then all this talk is redundant.

Jim, I have seen factory phenolic spacers, not on the trucks, but on cars, I believe it was on my 1970 and 1971 429 engines, roughly 3/8" thick and the PCV system came in the back and went around through channels molded into the spacer so it fed the fumes into both primary throttle bores.

Jim, I have seen factory phenolic spacers, not on the trucks, but on cars, I believe it was on my 1970 and 1971 429 engines, roughly 3/8" thick and the PCV system came in the back and went around through channels molded into the spacer so it fed the fumes into both primary throttle bores.

You've seen a LOT of carburetors Bill.

I'm talking about the truck this thread is about.

We don't know the history of his truck, since it originally had a VV on it, it may be a 351M.

But he says it's phenolic and the EGR doesn't run through it.

M or W, it doesn't sound like a stock '82 intake.

If he posts a pic we can all see what's up.