Bullnose Forums

Carburetor/Throttle Help

I have a 1982 F-250 5.8 with a Holley Carb. list no. 80179. It also has the numbers 3499 stamped on the air horn. There is not a lot of information about this carberator online, but it seems to be a discontinued model and a replacement for the varible venturi carburetor. About a week ago it started dripping gas from the accelator pump and I figured it was time for a rebuild or for a new carberator. I opted for the rebuild in order to save money (and to ensure that I did not buy the wrong carb.!) I had some trouble with my rebuild, but thanks to this forum and others I got some of my problems solved (fuel was spraying out of the bowl vents- a needle issue it seems). The problem I am having now is that the truck has a higher idle and I can't turn it down. I did adjust the idle screw on the carb. After much trial and error, it seems to me as if my throttle cable is either out of adjustment or in need of replacement. I doesn't seem to be binding on anything. Can the throttle/accelerator cable be adjusted? Am I on the right track?

I did buy a Haynes manual, but it was no help.

I would have said that your secondaries needed to be closed down, but since this is a 2300 two barrel I'm going to page Dr. Vose to this thread. :nabble_smiley_good:

Have you tried to get it to idle with the cable popped off the ball?

That would isolate it to the carb itself or the cable length/adjustment.

Have you tried to get it to idle with the cable popped off the ball?That would isolate it to the carb itself or the cable length/adjustment.
Funny, I hadn’t thought of that. After this storm blow over I will check that out.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 2, 2019, at 5:01 PM, ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Bill Voss is our master carburetor mechanic.

He ran Preston Carburetor for years and has an encyclopedic memory.

Seems he's not at the courtesy desk at the moment though.....

I'm sure he will hit this thread with answers as soon as he sees it.

Bill Voss is our master carburetor mechanic.

He ran Preston Carburetor for years and has an encyclopedic memory.

Seems he's not at the courtesy desk at the moment though.....

I'm sure he will hit this thread with answers as soon as he sees it.

Could be a vacuum leak.

It will idle with or without the ball connected, but it has a lower idle when connected. It won't return to idle when disconnected. It is almost like something is binding, but I do not see where it would be binding. I took the carburetor off yesterday and it doesn't seem to bind at all when it is off of the engine.

It will idle with or without the ball connected, but it has a lower idle when connected. It won't return to idle when disconnected. It is almost like something is binding, but I do not see where it would be binding. I took the carburetor off yesterday and it doesn't seem to bind at all when it is off of the engine.

We have a pretty steady rain here tonight, but if I get a chance I will try checking for a vacuum leak.

It will idle with or without the ball connected, but it has a lower idle when connected. It won't return to idle when disconnected.

That's very weird, and sounds like it could be another symptom of your problem.

Are you sure you got the springs back in the right place when you reassembled it?