Bullnose Forums

Which Grille Do You Think Looks Better on My Truck?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Now that I have a 1980 style grille, I am wondering about 1980 style clear turn signals. What is the deal with those anyway? Was there a reason why Ford dropped those after only one year for the amber ones?

I just *love* the way this looks. Would the clear turn signals look better on my dark red/brown truck than the amber turn signals?

It's a known fact that the more 1980 stuff you have on a truck, the better it looks. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Now that I have a 1980 style grille, I am wondering about 1980 style clear turn signals. What is the deal with those anyway? Was there a reason why Ford dropped those after only one year for the amber ones?

I just *love* the way this looks. Would the clear turn signals look better on my dark red/brown truck than the amber turn signals?

It's a known fact that the more 1980 stuff you have on a truck, the better it looks. :nabble_smiley_happy:

"colorless" lens would look great. Every fashion conscious Ford owner knows that amber clashes with dark red.:nabble_smiley_good:

Shaved, frenched, chopped and channeled.

Even today debadging cars is a big thing!

The numnutz who put performance badges on their base model, or Bentley on their Chrysler 300 should be laughed out of town.

I fixed it for you

I am not much into the shaved part. Badging and chrome but I hate the look of shaved door handles.

Flush mount is fine but it have to have a door handle to open the door from the out side.

I have also added a 50's custom touch to my truck - floating bumpers!

As for with or with out the oval or the hood letters:

If you keep the 6 letters then I think the oval looks good as now you know it is a FORD and the model.

With out the oval you don't know who makes it.

Dave ----

I prefer the clear park lenses, but it depends on the color of the truck. A brighter color truck generally looks better with the amber park lenses.

This guy, knows how it is.

Shaved, frenched, chopped and channeled.

Even today debadging cars is a big thing!

The numnutz who put performance badges on their base model, or Bentley on their Chrysler 300 should be laughed out of town.

I fixed it for you

I am not much into the shaved part. Badging and chrome but I hate the look of shaved door handles.

Flush mount is fine but it have to have a door handle to open the door from the out side.

I have also added a 50's custom touch to my truck - floating bumpers!

If you keep the 6 letters then I think the oval looks good as now you know it is a FORD and the model.

Dave ----

Dave ----

I agree with this. That was my original reasoning with the "L A R I A T" hood letters paired with the Ford oval in the grille. :nabble_smiley_good:

If I keep the "L A R I A T" hood letters with the 1980 grille, the two fog lamps have Ford ovals on them.

If I keep the 1980 grille and choose not to use the fog lamps, I will either use "F O R D" hood letters or none at all.

1980-ford-f150-ranger-lariat-v8_360_8723b02b4e6a7d3af79d4920a879ad692.jpg

Slightly off topic, but is that one of the aftermarket chrome/black grills? Didn't they only come in grey or black from Ford?

If yes, those chrome grills are really growing on me. I have both the original grey one, and the black one I bought used locally, but the few trucks I have seen with the chrome grills looked nice.

As for which gen grills look better, I stated above that I prefer the later grills with the Ford oval in the center, but I do also like the 1980-1981 grill with the Ford letters on the hood. I think my personal preference would be for a factory configuration...be it early or late, with the only exception being that I'd also consider a chrome grill;). (PS: and I'm only referring to a grill that is factory in appearance...not an aftermarket grill if that makes any sense. There are some mods on these trucks that I'm personally not a fan of but they are very popular overall with the Bullnose crowd).

1980-ford-f150-ranger-lariat-v8_360_8723b02b4e6a7d3af79d4920a879ad692.jpg

Slightly off topic, but is that one of the aftermarket chrome/black grills? Didn't they only come in grey or black from Ford?

If yes, those chrome grills are really growing on me. I have both the original grey one, and the black one I bought used locally, but the few trucks I have seen with the chrome grills looked nice.

As for which gen grills look better, I stated above that I prefer the later grills with the Ford oval in the center, but I do also like the 1980-1981 grill with the Ford letters on the hood. I think my personal preference would be for a factory configuration...be it early or late, with the only exception being that I'd also consider a chrome grill;). (PS: and I'm only referring to a grill that is factory in appearance...not an aftermarket grill if that makes any sense. There are some mods on these trucks that I'm personally not a fan of but they are very popular overall with the Bullnose crowd).

Factory grilles did come in chrome. Here's a snippet from the Exterior/Grilles & Headlights page and the Grilles & Moulding tab:

grille_orig.thumb.jpg.8e4e416d5ac5580e2aad32cb60d5e694.jpg

I have a NOS one for Dad's truck, and had the paint/body man leave the FORD letters off the hood.