Bullnose Forums

Which Grille Do You Think Looks Better on My Truck?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1980-ford-f150-ranger-lariat-v8_360_8723b02b4e6a7d3af79d4920a879ad692.jpg

Slightly off topic, but is that one of the aftermarket chrome/black grills? Didn't they only come in grey or black from Ford?

If yes, those chrome grills are really growing on me. I have both the original grey one, and the black one I bought used locally, but the few trucks I have seen with the chrome grills looked nice.

As for which gen grills look better, I stated above that I prefer the later grills with the Ford oval in the center, but I do also like the 1980-1981 grill with the Ford letters on the hood. I think my personal preference would be for a factory configuration...be it early or late, with the only exception being that I'd also consider a chrome grill;). (PS: and I'm only referring to a grill that is factory in appearance...not an aftermarket grill if that makes any sense. There are some mods on these trucks that I'm personally not a fan of but they are very popular overall with the Bullnose crowd).

I think the grille on that ruck is the stock chrome/argent one. The inner bars are lighter and duller than the shiny chrome face and therefore tend to "disappear" under most lighting. Also, the grilles angle slightly down from top to bottom, which contributes to this effect. The early grille on my truck is the completely painted one, which is why more of the inner bars can be seen. If I go with the early style grille, I will replace it with a chrome/argent version, and *probably* go with the colorless turn signal lenses.

I would like to try to use the 1980/1981 hood letters, but I am not about to go drilling holes in my hood to use them. I can break off the mounting tabs, but the letters themselves are hollow inside. There just isn't much meat around the edges to use double stick tape to hold the letters to the hood. Plus, these are metal, and you have to be careful or they will scratch the paint. Does anybody have any ideas on how to mount these without making permanent modifications to the hood?

s-l16002.jpg.5c18ee35a699170bf1077d33310894d5.jpg

s-l1600.jpg.351358a0364e4dad45c68f275b016123.jpg

I think the grille on that ruck is the stock chrome/argent one. The inner bars are lighter and duller than the shiny chrome face and therefore tend to "disappear" under most lighting. Also, the grilles angle slightly down from top to bottom, which contributes to this effect. The early grille on my truck is the completely painted one, which is why more of the inner bars can be seen. If I go with the early style grille, I will replace it with a chrome/argent version, and *probably* go with the colorless turn signal lenses.

I would like to try to use the 1980/1981 hood letters, but I am not about to go drilling holes in my hood to use them. I can break off the mounting tabs, but the letters themselves are hollow inside. There just isn't much meat around the edges to use double stick tape to hold the letters to the hood. Plus, these are metal, and you have to be careful or they will scratch the paint. Does anybody have any ideas on how to mount these without making permanent modifications to the hood?

Clean the wax off the hood and fill the letters with RTV silicone.

Use a plastic spreader to get any squeeze out after it is cured.

Clean the wax off the hood and fill the letters with RTV silicone.

Use a plastic spreader to get any squeeze out after it is cured.

That's an idea.

Do you mean the black RTV silicon like in the link below? Will that stuff damage the paint underneath?

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-37460-Silicone-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B000FW7V3M

There is also a "high performance" version:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FW7V3C/ref=psdc_15718921_t2_B000FW7V3M

That's an idea.

Do you mean the black RTV silicon like in the link below? Will that stuff damage the paint underneath?

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-37460-Silicone-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B000FW7V3M

There is also a "high performance" version:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FW7V3C/ref=psdc_15718921_t2_B000FW7V3M

Rick,

You don't want the gasket maker you want the Adhesive Sealant

It won't damage anything and you can cut the letters off with fishing line if you decide to change

(like the debadging trend)

You will have to rub the residue off with terry cloth or microfiber once the letters are off though.

How about doing the letters in vinyl decals?

Also, I have the 82 grill with blue oval, and clear blinkers. I think that it looks good. I think the clear blinkers are by far better looking on any year.

I prefer the blue oval grill, but NOT with letters. If you HAVE to have hood letters, go with the earlier grill.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to mount these without making permanent modifications to the hood?

I'd fill them with a two part epoxy, like JB Weld or Kwiksteel, etc...there are a half a dozen different brands. JB Weld is likely the cheapest and easiest to mix and fill the voids with imho. Then stick 'em on with 3M double sided tape, etc...

Does anybody have any ideas on how to mount these without making permanent modifications to the hood?

I'd fill them with a two part epoxy, like JB Weld or Kwiksteel, etc...there are a half a dozen different brands. JB Weld is likely the cheapest and easiest to mix and fill the voids with imho. Then stick 'em on with 3M double sided tape, etc...

That’s a great idea! I like that!

I find that even 3M's best efforts (red body trim tape) tend to loosen when you have a pocket (O,R,D) and my hood gets plenty hot to soften that adhesive.

Though I'll be the first to admit I've never tried this exact application, I would hate to see one of those NOS letters go flying off while driving.

Silicones, on the other hand, are good to 400* ( or more!) and very tenacious on clean smooth surfaces.

That's exactly why they're useful to seal windows and bathroom tile.