Bullnose Forums

More Emoticons? Less Emoticons? Which Ones?

Folks, Jim has asked if we can have more emoticons. And frequently I've had the same question as I look through the ones we have and can't find what I'm looking for or get confused by many that are essentially the same. But after a bit of research I find that we can add them. In fact, it appears that we can even eliminate some if we want to do so.

Given that, I need to know which ones to add and which ones to delete. But, the ones to add appear to need to be in .gif format. (And so far I haven't gotten the additions I've tried to work, but I think they will.)

And, here are the one's I'd take out:

• Drunk: :nabble_anim_drunk: Don't want to suggest we are drunks

• Hurt: :nabble_smiley_hurt: Never seen it used

• Pirate: :nabble_smiley_pirate: Never seen it used

• Mustache: :nabble_smiley_mustach: Never seen it used

• Ninja: :nabble_smiley_ninja: Never seen it used

• Music: :nabble_smiley_music: Never seen it used

• Teeth: :nabble_smiley_teeth: Never seen it used

• Sleep: :nabble_smiley_sleep: Never seen it used

• Oh No: :nabble_smiley_oh_no: There are too many others like this one, including :nabble_smiley_scared: and :nabble_smiley_oh:

• Happy: :nabble_smiley_happy: There's one almost identical called Grin :nabble_smiley_grin: So I'd take out one or the other.

So, can we find some Ford gifs? Some truck gifs? What can you come up with?

And I use black eye to symbolize something I've done to myself, or has blown up in my face.But I JUST used drunk (to symbolize a impulsive and silly idea)Keep em coming folks!....
Ok guys, if you use something then I'm not pushing to take it out.

HOWEVER, I temporarily replaced Drunk with Laughing: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/ezgif-com-resize_orig.gif. Mainly just to see how to do it. And, for my own edification here's how I did it:

1. Found a gif I wanted to try and discovered I needed to have it on some easily-linked to site, so put it on my Test Page on this website

Went to the Test Page and copied the URL

Went to the bottom of the page of the main forum and clicked on "Edit this page"

Searched for smilie_macro and then edited it to change Drunk to Laughing and inserted the URL between the quotes.

Looked at the emoticon table and discovered that Laughing was about 10 times too big

Went to EZGIF and resized the file down by a factor of 10 and saved it on my One Drive

Put that file on the Test Page and got the URL

Edited the macro again and inserted the new URL

That worked, but it is going to take some fine tuning. It looks like the emoticon is still too big and there may be too much whitespace around it. But, at least I know how to get a new emoticon on.

Now we just have to find ones that we want. Hint, hint, hint....

HOWEVER, I temporarily replaced Drunk with Laughing: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/ezgif-com-resize_orig.gif. Mainly just to see how to do it. And, for my own edification here's how I did it:

1. Found a gif I wanted to try and discovered I needed to have it on some easily-linked to site, so put it on my Test Page on this website

Went to the bottom of the page of the main forum and clicked on "Edit this page"

Searched for smilie_macro and then edited it to change Drunk to Laughing and inserted the URL between the quotes.

Looked at the emoticon table and discovered that Laughing was about 10 times too big

Went to EZGIF and resized the file down by a factor of 10 and saved it on my One Drive

That worked, but it is going to take some fine tuning. It looks like the emoticon is still too big and there may be too much whitespace around it. But, at least I know how to get a new emoticon on.

For grins here are some comparisons of the default emoticons and Laughing::nabble_anim_jump::nabble_anim_rules:http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/ezgif-com-resize_orig.gif:nabble_anim_confused:Those should all have been in one line, like this: :nabble_anim_jump::nabble_anim_rules::nabble_smiley_what::nabble_anim_confused:And now I've downsized Laughing from 42 x 42 pixels to 20 x 20 and lets see how he plays::nabble_anim_jump::nabble_anim_rules:http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/ezgif-com-resize-1_orig.gif:nabble_anim_confused:Nope, that's not the only issue. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Gary, I agree with you on losing 'drunk'.Not that I'm a teatotaler or in the club, but it's not a good look.I just didn't see a better choice. So I used it....And this is why I asked about having more choices.So, maybe a 'foof'? (blowing up in its face)

Gary, I agree with you on losing 'drunk'.

Not that I'm a teatotaler or in the club, but it's not a good look.

I just didn't see a better choice. So I used it....

And this is why I asked about having more choices.

So, maybe a 'foof'? (blowing up in its face)

Jim - I'm not picturing "foof". Can you find an example and give me a link to it?

As for other emoticons, I did some searching and found this statement in The Atlantic:

The Ford F-150 has been the best-selling vehicle in the United States for the past 35 years. But you wouldn’t know it from looking at your smartphone.

There are 54 emoji to represent different modes of transportation, at least on modern iPhones. A mind-boggling 12 of them depict trains: You can text a friend everything from a light-rail car to a steam locomotive to the shinkansen. There’s a red coupe, a yellow taxi, an ambulance. There is even a scooter emoji.

But there is no pickup-truck emoji.

Now, that's speaking of our phones, etc. But that doesn't mean there aren't ones elsewhere for pickups. Perhaps someone out there has made one we want? Can someone find one?

And, in my searching I've found some that might be useful:

rimshot.gif.e2dd9f19f92949970fb6e2caf6140464.gif

face-with-open-mouth-vomiting_1f92e.png.14ad50b97693b93e7b2d932d3df02fbf.png

face-with-rolling-eyes_1f644.png.dbfeb8d45e80a923e9a78b01b451dd8e.png

money-mouth-face_1f911.png.bc82cb67f8f209cbb7dbe060f43351f5.png

smiling-face-with-heart-shaped-eyes_1f60d.png.019f890189b179a5b22e8222bff88b58.png

Jim - I'm not picturing "foof". Can you find an example and give me a link to it?

As for other emoticons, I did some searching and found this statement in The Atlantic:

The Ford F-150 has been the best-selling vehicle in the United States for the past 35 years. But you wouldn’t know it from looking at your smartphone.

There are 54 emoji to represent different modes of transportation, at least on modern iPhones. A mind-boggling 12 of them depict trains: You can text a friend everything from a light-rail car to a steam locomotive to the shinkansen. There’s a red coupe, a yellow taxi, an ambulance. There is even a scooter emoji.

But there is no pickup-truck emoji.

Now, that's speaking of our phones, etc. But that doesn't mean there aren't ones elsewhere for pickups. Perhaps someone out there has made one we want? Can someone find one?

And, in my searching I've found some that might be useful:

We also need to consider future generations; for example, my son primarily communicates electronically via the poop emoji. Let's not forget Generation Z! :nabble_smiley_happy:

We also need to consider future generations; for example, my son primarily communicates electronically via the poop emoji. Let's not forget Generation Z! :nabble_smiley_happy:

That doesn't look like a "poop" emoji. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/ezgif-com-resize-1_orig.gif

(See, already a good use for the Laughing emoji. Now, if I could just get it to insert in-line......)

Maybe your problem is the .gif or .png extension?

FOOF is a very explosive compound.

It's also the sound gas makes when igniting...

I was thinking something like an exploding cigar or when Daffy demands that it's "Duck Season!" and gets his bill blown round and round his head.

-I did it to myself, and I should have known better-

The mind blown emoji is close but it has its own meaning.

U+1F92F

🤯