Bullnose Forums

Eddy Myrtle

Sac79

That cap may be bent. And you do not need a tool to take it off or put it on. Just gloves and/or shop towels to protect your hands - you press down HARD and turn it to lock/unlock it.

I could probably take the one on my tranny off and get a pic of it tomorrow if you need it.

And you've got the PCV system figured out. Air goes in via the filter on the side of the air cleaner, through the hose to the oil filler cap, down through the crankcase, up to the PCV valve, and then into the base of the carb to be burned.

The only aftermarket throttle cable I've heard of is Lokar. Can you post a pic? I'm curious what the issue is.

Thanks Gary, I don't think I need a picture. I thought it might be bent as well and turned the tips in a little without success. I get it pushed down all the way, followed by a slight turn and then it pops out again! I'm thinking the 'ledge' is too small to hold it, hence I thought a piece might have broken off, but unlikely it would be identical on both sides. I might put a file to it and try to modify it a little and then keep trying to get it to stick.

As for the PCV, so air goes into the system through the oil cap, would that be dirty air then(as it draws from outside the filter)? Anyway, bottom line, all I need is those to connections, correct?

Do you know the function of the blue valve in the picture(next to the snorkel)?

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted a Purolator part number the other day for the breather filter assembly that fits inside the air cleaner housing.

I do believe the Ford number was cross referenced following that.

They're only $5 and include the retainer clip.

Are you referring to this?

IMG_3495.jpg.ae1bebd742957077ec19c274fc95d72a.jpg

I would need to replace it, as mine does not fit the larger housing.

That cap may be bent. And you do not need a tool to take it off or put it on. Just gloves and/or shop towels to protect your hands - you press down HARD and turn it to lock/unlock it.

I could probably take the one on my tranny off and get a pic of it tomorrow if you need it.

And you've got the PCV system figured out. Air goes in via the filter on the side of the air cleaner, through the hose to the oil filler cap, down through the crankcase, up to the PCV valve, and then into the base of the carb to be burned.

The only aftermarket throttle cable I've heard of is Lokar. Can you post a pic? I'm curious what the issue is.

Thanks Gary, I don't think I need a picture. I thought it might be bent as well and turned the tips in a little without success. I get it pushed down all the way, followed by a slight turn and then it pops out again! I'm thinking the 'ledge' is too small to hold it, hence I thought a piece might have broken off, but unlikely it would be identical on both sides. I might put a file to it and try to modify it a little and then keep trying to get it to stick.

As for the PCV, so air goes into the system through the oil cap, would that be dirty air then(as it draws from outside the filter)? Anyway, bottom line, all I need is those to connections, correct?

Do you know the function of the blue valve in the picture(next to the snorkel)?

I'm not sure which "blue valve" you are meaning, but take a look at the documentation here: Documentation/Fuel Systems/Air Cleaners. That shows what each of the components do.

As for PCV system, the air coming in is supposed to be clean having gone through the filter on the air cleaner. No, it isn't as fine of a filter as the one for the air going into the cylinders, but it should do the trick. And if you connect the oil fill cap to that filter, and the pcv valve to the barb on the carb or the intake (I don't know which on the 4.9L) you should be good to go.

On the transmission, I took some pics anyway. Hope they help:

NP435_Shifter_Collar.thumb.jpg.b9ebd3883f944b603c191f697a96ca36.jpg

NP435_Shifter_Tower.thumb.jpg.2df5fba9d963fa770788c536530bbc8a.jpg

I'm not sure which "blue valve" you are meaning, but take a look at the documentation here: Documentation/Fuel Systems/Air Cleaners. That shows what each of the components do.

As for PCV system, the air coming in is supposed to be clean having gone through the filter on the air cleaner. No, it isn't as fine of a filter as the one for the air going into the cylinders, but it should do the trick. And if you connect the oil fill cap to that filter, and the pcv valve to the barb on the carb or the intake (I don't know which on the 4.9L) you should be good to go.

On the "blue valve" being referd to it is the cold weather modulator I believe. The metal valve in the lid shown is your thermal sensor. Those two parts are what controls the heat door in the snorkel for heated air to the carb during colder weather. You connect a vacuum line from manifold vacuum to one nipple of the thermal sensor. Then from the other one to one of the nipples of the cold weather modulator then from there to the vacuum motor in the air filter snorkel. I hope that helps although it appears that your snorkel is different. You should be able to change the snorkel. This is how the vacuum controls are hooked up on my air filter and I hope this helps.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n54301/NP435_Shifter_Collar.jpg

Thanks again Gary. That's quite telling, obviously a big difference. I'll try to customize mine, at least it makes sense now. Doubt I can buy a replacement, maybe pick one up in a yard though...

On the "blue valve" being referd to it is the cold weather modulator I believe. The metal valve in the lid shown is your thermal sensor. Those two parts are what controls the heat door in the snorkel for heated air to the carb during colder weather. You connect a vacuum line from manifold vacuum to one nipple of the thermal sensor. Then from the other one to one of the nipples of the cold weather modulator then from there to the vacuum motor in the air filter snorkel. I hope that helps although it appears that your snorkel is different. You should be able to change the snorkel. This is how the vacuum controls are hooked up on my air filter and I hope this helps.

Thanks Frank. I'll see what I can do about changing out the snorkel to keep the cold weather function, although being in Alabama, I'm not too concerned and might just run it without initially. It is the reason I went out looking for a stock air cleaner though, so we'll see. I'm just trying to keep the PCV system operable to start with.

Thanks Frank. I'll see what I can do about changing out the snorkel to keep the cold weather function, although being in Alabama, I'm not too concerned and might just run it without initially. It is the reason I went out looking for a stock air cleaner though, so we'll see. I'm just trying to keep the PCV system operable to start with.

Good to have a fellow forum member in the same state! :nabble_anim_handshake:

OK Sac79. For the PCV valve, connect manifold vacuum to the PCV valve. Most but not all replacement oil fill caps have some sort of filtering in them, although being hooked to the air filter is best. On the cold weather parts of the air filter, the truck will run OK without them being functional, but "cold" is a relative term here. As in colder than operating temp. Your engine will function better with everything connected and working properly though you may or may not notice it directly. Again though, not a requirement in getting one running and driving.

You up north David? I think that's where Gary placed you... Spring in full swing here and pollen crazy as usual. But we only have a couple of weeks of moderate temperatures a year, so better get out and enjoy it anyway, just be sure you have your Bubblixa!:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Here was my issue...

IMG_3498.jpg.901e11114c930d3d7cbe457a6d0c267c.jpg

I bought the aftermarket bracket. It had to be modified a little, the throttle linkage rubbed against the frame. It came with two return springs, which is too powerful(I could not push it to full throttle with my hand), so I'm using one. My original cable has a broken plastic sleeve inside its return spring, but the issue was simply connecting it to the linkage. I considered just getting an end-assembly and cutting mine.

But I found this in the carb's box...

IMG_3502.jpg.27794c1afa83cf3a9ec6f0f0023e2f2a.jpg

So problem solved, I think. I'm going to cut the plastic sleeve and return spring off my cable and it should work fine with the aftermarket bracket.

IMG_3500.jpg.8e0b05ee5d85064335564c52d8d692ed.jpg

I'll find out tomorrow. I also replaced a couple of the washers on the manifolds with larger ones, where I could.

IMG_3497.jpg.3009384307f7e5423b1858b9d8871d8d.jpg

And here's a preview with the air cleaner. Color suggestions? Options are black, aluminum(aka aluminium:nabble_smiley_evil:) or the same blue as the block...

IMG_3501.jpg.e831f9a5082715456972348178db1f58.jpg