Bullnose Forums

Eddy Myrtle

Sac79

Rob - Here's hoping that the RTV on RTV holds. I'll bet it will. :nabble_anim_claps:

On the fast idle, I probably did a poor job of 'splaining. The fast idle is pushed on by the choke, but it comes off with gravity. So as the choke comes off so should the fast idle - but only after the tension is taken off it from the throttle return spring.

So if you open the throttle with the engine cold the choke and fast idle will set. And when you release the throttle the fast idle is held captive until you open the throttle again and take the pressure off. Then, if the choke has opened some, the fast idle cam will drop down and you'll have less fast idle.

I certainly hope so Gary.

As for the fast idle, that is how I understood your explanation the first time, but mine does not require any input from the throttle. The fast idle cam activates the throttle as you work the choke cable, it is not affected by gravity or anything other than the position of the choke. That's why I can modulate the throttle with the choke without any throttle input. I'll take a picture, although a video will probably be better. I'll just show you next year!:nabble_smiley_wink:

OK, some more updates. I had planned on getting a used rim and tire for a spare, but the shop with used tires proved useless. Couldn't even do the alignment on my truck, apparently to old for their machine?! So I ate humble pie and returned to my usual shop and had them check the alignment(which turns out to be free) - the toe was perfect, or just about, -1/32" and +1/32", so the toe plates worked. The camber is +2.4deg on the driver's side and +1.8 on the passenger's. +1.8deg is the limit according to their machine, but the bushing only has 1/4deg of adjustment left and the passenger's side is maxed out. So I told them to leave it and I'm looking for bushings with more adjustment. The current ones go up to 3.5deg. Since the alignment check was free(it would have been $90 had they done any adjustment) I had them remove my old tires. I got a 31x10.5x15 from Walmart and mounted it on one of the stock wheels.

Free to a good home...

IMG_3748.jpg.cc5d809cde32706b7f63b3325691da6e.jpg

The spare is about 1/2" shy on radius, but close enough for an emergency spare.

IMG_3749.jpg.e109d6e7698170b5a09b005a0ab89f26.jpg

I also installed the 'carpet bracket'. With the seat all the way back, there is a nice flat shelf now. And the carpet fits as it should.

IMG_3750.jpg.b4ee6551a8081ec0c7408b9cd6dd2c95.jpg

And I got these. I was thinking about nerf bars and I'm regretting getting rid of the running boards, but I'm happy with these. And a little insert of weatherstripping courtesy of Gary!

IMG_3753.jpg.3da4a6105b8a06aa9b82a96f12c85b52.jpg

And a tonneau cover. It fits pretty well.

IMG_3755.jpg.61431cbd32ff6f04a132b805f7983b1b.jpg

And the window wind deflectors.

IMG_3757.jpg.4ef73ead442159f5e09db98688f77d3b.jpg

I haven't checked my work(leaks) yet as I'm prepping the truck for polish and we've had some wet weather and I didn't want to wash it again. Used a clay bar this afternoon and it's shocking how rough the surfaces were. Tomorrow I'll buff out a few scratches and then take a test drive to check for leaks.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the fast idle, that is how I understood your explanation the first time, but mine does not require any input from the throttle. The fast idle cam activates the throttle as you work the choke cable, it is not affected by gravity or anything other than the position of the choke. That's why I can modulate the throttle with the choke without any throttle input. I'll take a picture, although a video will probably be better. I'll just show you next year!:nabble_smiley_wink:

OK, some more updates. I had planned on getting a used rim and tire for a spare, but the shop with used tires proved useless. Couldn't even do the alignment on my truck, apparently to old for their machine?! So I ate humble pie and returned to my usual shop and had them check the alignment(which turns out to be free) - the toe was perfect, or just about, -1/32" and +1/32", so the toe plates worked. The camber is +2.4deg on the driver's side and +1.8 on the passenger's. +1.8deg is the limit according to their machine, but the bushing only has 1/4deg of adjustment left and the passenger's side is maxed out. So I told them to leave it and I'm looking for bushings with more adjustment. The current ones go up to 3.5deg. Since the alignment check was free(it would have been $90 had they done any adjustment) I had them remove my old tires. I got a 31x10.5x15 from Walmart and mounted it on one of the stock wheels.

Free to a good home...

I also installed the 'carpet bracket'. With the seat all the way back, there is a nice flat shelf now. And the carpet fits as it should.

And I got these. I was thinking about nerf bars and I'm regretting getting rid of the running boards, but I'm happy with these. And a little insert of weatherstripping courtesy of Gary!

I haven't checked my work(leaks) yet as I'm prepping the truck for polish and we've had some wet weather and I didn't want to wash it again. Used a clay bar this afternoon and it's shocking how rough the surfaces were. Tomorrow I'll buff out a few scratches and then take a test drive to check for leaks.

Rob! You've been BUSY! Wow! :nabble_anim_claps:

Ok, I'll wait until next year on the choke. But, I'm curious!

What brand eccentrics are you using?

Free to a good home...

I'd thought you put a spoiler on your truck, until I realized it was a fence. :nabble_smiley_blush: :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

The truck is looking great Rob!

I hope you can get the alignment resolved. Tyres too nice to scrub them down quickly.

I'm not sure what is offered in bushings for those lighter trucks.

Rob! You've been BUSY! Wow! :nabble_anim_claps:

Ok, I'll wait until next year on the choke. But, I'm curious!

What brand eccentrics are you using?

The bushings are AC Delco, I think. I've been browsing the web, but I've not seen anything that would provide more than 3.5degs of adjustment. I'll continue to look, but worst case, I'll attempt to gain that last 1/4deg on the driver's side and run it like that. I won't be doing crazy miles and the tires will probably be changed due to age rather than wear...

I'd thought you put a spoiler on your truck, until I realized it was a fence. :nabble_smiley_blush: :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: Eddy is way faster than before, but not quite fast enough to make use of a spoiler...

Spent all day yesterday with the DA polisher... The paint is so smooth now I'm sure I'm just cutting through the air like a hot knife through butter!:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: OK, maybe not. But the finish is great, almost looks like a half decent paint job now.

IMG_3775.jpg.3b9b256dfe7ab3c663421ae68d51b65f.jpg

Oh, I added the arch trim this week. I was hoping it would hide the holes left by the running board hardware, but it doesn't.

IMG_3777.jpg.e2245be265e002ff6f77bdba93109b69.jpg

Went for a drive this morning to test the new gasket. Looks dry, I'll wait and see what sitting the rest of the weekend does before I celebrate. Happen to come across a car show, I guess there's no 'rona in Alabama. Some nice old cars(a few new ones too), maybe next year I'll go park up Eddy. If I had known about it, today would have been perfect, with the polishing and waxing I did! But it was winding down as I arrived, Saturday afternoons is football in AL.

I also replaced the plugs before doing the gasket and found them all brownish with a little black moisture at the top threads, except for #6, which was whitish and dry... 1-5 looks like the one on the left(it being #1), #6 on the right.

IMG_3768.jpg.cfb03bb0dff6e312df08894713211e8d.jpg

Maybe a leak at #6? I suspect a vacuum leak due to a hissing noise, but there are no other symptoms. I might do a smoke test, my neighbor is a cigar smoker... I was also concerned about the AF mixture, but the plugs(1-5) seem normal. The tailpipe also spews out black moisture(not too wet, mostly soot), normal I guess. It doesn't really smoke, a little grey puff at startup. I was considering getting an AFR gauge/sensor kit, but a wideband is so expensive and the narrow seems pointless.

Oh, and while replacing the plugs I pulled apart a plug wire...:nabble_smiley_uh: I repaired it, but I'm looking to replace them as I'm sure it will happen again and all the reviews on them indicate that too. Recommendations?

Spent all day yesterday with the DA polisher... The paint is so smooth now I'm sure I'm just cutting through the air like a hot knife through butter!:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: OK, maybe not. But the finish is great, almost looks like a half decent paint job now.

Oh, I added the arch trim this week. I was hoping it would hide the holes left by the running board hardware, but it doesn't.

Went for a drive this morning to test the new gasket. Looks dry, I'll wait and see what sitting the rest of the weekend does before I celebrate. Happen to come across a car show, I guess there's no 'rona in Alabama. Some nice old cars(a few new ones too), maybe next year I'll go park up Eddy. If I had known about it, today would have been perfect, with the polishing and waxing I did! But it was winding down as I arrived, Saturday afternoons is football in AL.

I also replaced the plugs before doing the gasket and found them all brownish with a little black moisture at the top threads, except for #6, which was whitish and dry... 1-5 looks like the one on the left(it being #1), #6 on the right.

Maybe a leak at #6? I suspect a vacuum leak due to a hissing noise, but there are no other symptoms. I might do a smoke test, my neighbor is a cigar smoker... I was also concerned about the AF mixture, but the plugs(1-5) seem normal. The tailpipe also spews out black moisture(not too wet, mostly soot), normal I guess. It doesn't really smoke, a little grey puff at startup. I was considering getting an AFR gauge/sensor kit, but a wideband is so expensive and the narrow seems pointless.

Oh, and while replacing the plugs I pulled apart a plug wire...:nabble_smiley_uh: I repaired it, but I'm looking to replace them as I'm sure it will happen again and all the reviews on them indicate that too. Recommendations?

Rob! That looks GREAT! WOW! :nabble_anim_claps:

On the plugs, you might have a leak at #6, so check it out. But remember that the end cylinders have a hard time getting the same amount of fuel as the others. Even with your Clifford intake that's a long way to pull fuel.

But I would have expected #1 to be similar to #6, so maybe you do have a leak.

Rob! That looks GREAT! WOW! :nabble_anim_claps:

On the plugs, you might have a leak at #6, so check it out. But remember that the end cylinders have a hard time getting the same amount of fuel as the others. Even with your Clifford intake that's a long way to pull fuel.

But I would have expected #1 to be similar to #6, so maybe you do have a leak.

Thanks Gary. It was quite a job. Clay bar across all the panels, wet sand and cutting compound on about a dozen scratches and then polish followed by wax across everything again... But I like doing it, I do my wife's car yearly and will probably be doing the same with Eddy.

The intake is an Offenhauser, wish it was a Clifford(same thing really, except for the ready-made heater plumbing)! But yes, I thought the same thing initially, that's why I pictured 1 and 6. I have no other symptoms other than the hiss and now the plug. I'll do some investigating, but I'm not overly concerned.

And I'm done spending money on the truck for now. Just waiting on the center console and I have the parts to increase the exhaust to 2.5" throughout. But with the 1000 mile roadtrip just a few weeks away, I'm thinking of sticking with the current setup until after that. The exhaust is pleasantly quiet(for a long trip, but too quiet for weekend joyrides) and I don't want to risk having it be too loud or having an annoying drone for hours on end...

I would like to get new mirrors(current ones have rusty/seized adjusting screws) and a proper tow hitch, but that's next year.

Thanks Gary. It was quite a job. Clay bar across all the panels, wet sand and cutting compound on about a dozen scratches and then polish followed by wax across everything again... But I like doing it, I do my wife's car yearly and will probably be doing the same with Eddy.

The intake is an Offenhauser, wish it was a Clifford(same thing really, except for the ready-made heater plumbing)! But yes, I thought the same thing initially, that's why I pictured 1 and 6. I have no other symptoms other than the hiss and now the plug. I'll do some investigating, but I'm not overly concerned.

And I'm done spending money on the truck for now. Just waiting on the center console and I have the parts to increase the exhaust to 2.5" throughout. But with the 1000 mile roadtrip just a few weeks away, I'm thinking of sticking with the current setup until after that. The exhaust is pleasantly quiet(for a long trip, but too quiet for weekend joyrides) and I don't want to risk having it be too loud or having an annoying drone for hours on end...

I would like to get new mirrors(current ones have rusty/seized adjusting screws) and a proper tow hitch, but that's next year.

I can only imagine how much work that was. Wow!

Sorry about getting the intake wrong. But you are on top of it, so I'm sure you'll find the issue.

And I think you are right to wait to make a big change before a long trip. When do you go?

Eddy looks great, Rob! 😍

I actually prefer the look of #1.

While I don't understand why it is different than the other five, I would probably be poking around with my non-contact thermometer, or putting hotter plugs in all except for #1.