Bullnose Forums

Transmission Swap Suggestions

Ray - I remember you trying to speed-shift the ZF5 in Dad’s truck. It ain’t gonna happen. The ZF5 is a truck transmission which shifts slowly, and one of its weaknesses is the synchros.

So if you want a quick-shifting tranny I’d recommend the M5OD. I haven’t had one, but from what others are saying it shifts faster/better than the ZF5.

Just FYI:

Ford documentation refers to the Mazda & the ZFs as "M5OD", and both were available in the F150. The Mazdog is the M5OD-R2 (the -R1 was in Rangers & B2s); the ZF S5-42-7 (420 lb-ft; close- & wide-ratio) is the "M5OD-LD"; and the ZF S5-47 (470 lb-ft) is the "M5OD-HD".

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1046206/thumbnail/zfapplications.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/262739/thumbnail/zfs5427shifter.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/912634/thumbnail/transtags.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/895000/thumbnail/m5odr2ex.jpg

My '95F150 2WD has the Mazdog (a reman after the original broke), and it shifts easily. I've never driven a ZF long enough to get a feel for it. But the ZF has a known weakness of the front case NOT being strong enough to withstand the force that the concentric slave applies to the clutch diaphragm, so it collapses inward. I don't remember if it was revised to alleviate that problem or not, but I assume so, since the ZF is still a popular swap.

So if you want a quick-shifting tranny I’d recommend the M5OD. I haven’t had one, but from what others are saying it shifts faster/better than the ZF5.

The M5OD still shifts like a truck transmission, but is a lot smoother thanks to the synchros. I have a Hurst short-throw shifter installed on mine and that helps the shifts feel more crisp.

I'm think about going M5od as one of my neighbor has one they don't want (Auto fan as Wife as issues shifting), but looking at the Gear ratio's of the Srod and my 3 speed, yea it is ruff 2-3 shift. M5od looks to smooth it all out.

I put a Tremec TKO-500 in mine. It was direct replacement for SROD, after I had Silver Sport Transmissions relocate the shifter location to match my truck. Direct replacement besides that because I didn't need a new drive shaft, bell house, or clutch. I voluntarily put new clutch kit, bearings, and rear-main seal in while I had transmission out of course. But it wasn't cheap, cost about $3,000. But truck was given to me in excellent California condition, and I drove it 8 years with no repair cost... so I decided to to spend the extra couple grand to get brand new modern-day 5 speed. In-line six should last forever, so I think it was a good investment, considering condition of truck and my plans to keep it forever. I did swap myself with no experience; took me all weekend.

TKO-500 is nice. Fixed the large gap between 2nd and 3rd. I want to change rear end to 3 or 3.25 now (currently 2.75) because I like to drive 70 mph and that happens to be too high for 4th and too low for 5th. It's always something, right... but rear end is due for a rebuild anyways so I don't mind.

I hated SROD since I was a child. My grandpa took me fishing in mountains a few time a month... and couldn't get it in 3rd gear going there, so we drove 35 mph the whole way with big line of cars stuck behind us, and pulled over at every opportunity to let them pass. I thought he was just a lame driver until I was old enough to drive it and couldn't get to 3rd gear going up hill, and I had to drive 35 just like he did. I wish he could ride with me now going up the mountains at any speed I desire.

I couldn't find any other direct replacements for SROD. I only found a rebuilt SROD from auto-zone for about $1500 and the TKO for about $3,000.

IMG_0103.jpg.0d4883ecf7232671b94136f4abf53c64.jpg

Tremec TKO in 1981 F-150 Flareside with 300 inline six, stock bell house, stock clutch, stock drive shaft.

Took this photo today and remembered I still need to put the clutch boot on it, I forgot to when I had the chance. Also need to hook up back up light. The cross member is original, I put it in backwards to line up with transmission mounts, but it was designed to go in either way to fit multiple transmissions.

Tremec TKO in 1981 F-150 Flareside with 300 inline six, stock bell house, stock clutch, stock drive shaft.

Took this photo today and remembered I still need to put the clutch boot on it, I forgot to when I had the chance. Also need to hook up back up light. The cross member is original, I put it in backwards to line up with transmission mounts, but it was designed to go in either way to fit multiple transmissions.

My buddy has a TKO-600-RR behind a 347 in his Cobra replica.

Lakewood bell with a pull slave.

The tighter ratios in the road race version give it a tall first but it sure is nice to shift!

I think $3k is way off the table for Ray, but it's always nice to dream.

Not sure why you think that. However, I could buy an entire parts truck with a 300 and 5 speed for that kind of money.

Anyway, Thanks for the info. My truck is also a Cali truck. Mine is 4x4. Can the TKO500 be ordered for a 4x4?

That sounds nice that I can keep the original bell housing and clutch. That means I can keep the mechanical clutch linkage, and dont have to swap in the hydraulic setup.

Not sure why you think that. However, I could buy an entire parts truck with a 300 and 5 speed for that kind of money.

Anyway, Thanks for the info. My truck is also a Cali truck. Mine is 4x4. Can the TKO500 be ordered for a 4x4?

That sounds nice that I can keep the original bell housing and clutch. That means I can keep the mechanical clutch linkage, and dont have to swap in the hydraulic setup.

I know they can be had with 3 shifter positions and many ratios.

What they call Ford spline is the input, but I've never personally seen one with a transfer case bolted to it.

I imagine divorced is easy enough to do.

If you want to LS swap this truck why would you dump 3k into a Ford gearbox ?

ETA: I can't imagine why you would need (or, want) a 5-600 ftlb gearbox for a 300, no matter how built it is.