Bullnose Forums

Transmission Swap Suggestions

I have the manual clutch linkage SROD 4 speed. I am going to be putting in a clutch soon.

I was thinking....what manual swap could I do that would have better gearing? 1 to 2 is okay, but 3 is like spaced way out from 2. 4th seems like an OD gear. Sloppy long throw shifter. Just not a huge fan of this 4 speed so far.

Does anything direct swap without having to change driveshafts or cross members?

I will drive it like it is for now, but I want to keep an eye out for something better.

I have a c6...but....poo....its auto. Blah!

Thank you for any guidance.

Ray,

This may not be in your list of potential swaps, but since you're looking for suggestions, you should consider a 5spd from a 1988-1996 pickup. My personal thought is that if you're going to go through the trouble, might as well go 5spd.

With that you'll have two options. The 3/4 ton ZF5 trans, or the half ton M5OD trans. I'm running the M5OD in my 1984, and Reamer is running the ZF5 in his 1986 Flareside 4x4. I believe had had to have his driveshafts adjusted slightly, but he had an NP435 to start with. The heavier ZF5 is a more desirable transmission, but finding one for a 4x4 with a SBF bolt pattern is not quite as easy as finding an M5OD. For what I'm doing with my old truck, I'm more than happy with the M5OD.

The 5spd swap is a little easier on the 1984-up (gas) and 1983-up (diesel) as they came with hydraulic clutches. However, swapping in a hydraulic clutch is not a big job either imho.

Anyway, just food for thought. Some folks are not interested in a 5spd. Some love them.

Ray,

This may not be in your list of potential swaps, but since you're looking for suggestions, you should consider a 5spd from a 1988-1996 pickup. My personal thought is that if you're going to go through the trouble, might as well go 5spd.

With that you'll have two options. The 3/4 ton ZF5 trans, or the half ton M5OD trans. I'm running the M5OD in my 1984, and Reamer is running the ZF5 in his 1986 Flareside 4x4. I believe had had to have his driveshafts adjusted slightly, but he had an NP435 to start with. The heavier ZF5 is a more desirable transmission, but finding one for a 4x4 with a SBF bolt pattern is not quite as easy as finding an M5OD. For what I'm doing with my old truck, I'm more than happy with the M5OD.

The 5spd swap is a little easier on the 1984-up (gas) and 1983-up (diesel) as they came with hydraulic clutches. However, swapping in a hydraulic clutch is not a big job either imho.

Anyway, just food for thought. Some folks are not interested in a 5spd. Some love them.

Hey! '83 was the year for 460's too....

Are they not gas? :nabble_smiley_tongue:

Yeah Ray's options are all complicated if he wants to keep overdrive.

By finding a hydraulic pedal assembly, master cylinder and reinforcing the firewall if he wants to keep it from tearing. (I put the little patch on mine before it tore...)

Nothing wrong with the M5OD. They shift a little more 'car like' and don't seem to have the rollover rattle and endplay problems of the Zf5.

Hey! '83 was the year for 460's too....

Are they not gas? :nabble_smiley_tongue:

Yeah Ray's options are all complicated if he wants to keep overdrive.

By finding a hydraulic pedal assembly, master cylinder and reinforcing the firewall if he wants to keep it from tearing. (I put the little patch on mine before it tore...)

Nothing wrong with the M5OD. They shift a little more 'car like' and don't seem to have the rollover rattle and endplay problems of the Zf5.

All good advice.

You can see the ratio differences, and play around what-ifs in the calculator, here: Driveline/Calculators. And you can see that the SROD's ratios are a big compromise as it is a 3-speed with an OD tacked on. Compare the SROD to the M5OD, which is a nice, evenly-spaced 5-speed, and it is obvious.

Then compare the M5OD to the ZF5. The ZF's creeper gear means it is really a 4-speed for most situation. And for a light truck and daily driving those situations don't happen often.

So I'd recommend the M5 for your truck, Ray.

All good advice.

You can see the ratio differences, and play around what-ifs in the calculator, here: Driveline/Calculators. And you can see that the SROD's ratios are a big compromise as it is a 3-speed with an OD tacked on. Compare the SROD to the M5OD, which is a nice, evenly-spaced 5-speed, and it is obvious.

Then compare the M5OD to the ZF5. The ZF's creeper gear means it is really a 4-speed for most situation. And for a light truck and daily driving those situations don't happen often.

So I'd recommend the M5 for your truck, Ray.

I like the M5OD in my Ranger, but as previously mentioned, it really does shift more like a car.

My only gripe with the M5OD is the internal slave cylinder. Great idea......when you can find a slave cylinder that doesn't leak after a few thousand miles.

I like the M5OD in my Ranger, but as previously mentioned, it really does shift more like a car.

My only gripe with the M5OD is the internal slave cylinder. Great idea......when you can find a slave cylinder that doesn't leak after a few thousand miles.

Everyone, thank you for clearing this up. Looks like if I did a swap I would be in for some good down time. I think for the time being I will live with what I have.

I might LS swap it later and do a 6 speed....:nabble_smiley_wink:

I really want to try to turbo charge the 300. I may start there. If the SROD grenades, I will do the M5OD or ZF5

Everyone, thank you for clearing this up. Looks like if I did a swap I would be in for some good down time. I think for the time being I will live with what I have.

I might LS swap it later and do a 6 speed....:nabble_smiley_wink:

I really want to try to turbo charge the 300. I may start there. If the SROD grenades, I will do the M5OD or ZF5

Ray - I remember you trying to speed-shift the ZF5 in Dad’s truck. It ain’t gonna happen. The ZF5 is a truck transmission which shifts slowly, and one of its weaknesses is the synchros.

So if you want a quick-shifting tranny I’d recommend the M5OD. I haven’t had one, but from what others are saying it shifts faster/better than the ZF5.

Ray - I remember you trying to speed-shift the ZF5 in Dad’s truck. It ain’t gonna happen. The ZF5 is a truck transmission which shifts slowly, and one of its weaknesses is the synchros.

So if you want a quick-shifting tranny I’d recommend the M5OD. I haven’t had one, but from what others are saying it shifts faster/better than the ZF5.

HAHAHA that was a long time ago already. Yeah I think I ground a gear or two didnt I !???