Bullnose Forums

Why drive a truck with a big six cylinder?

quote "Steve83"

"No. AFAIK, no gas engine has injectors in the head, until maybe direct injection. I've never seen it in a Ford, Saab, Nissan, Land Rover, Jaguar, BMW, Honda, Mitsubishi, VW, Dodge, GM..."

The buick L67 supercharged 3800 has the injectors in the head - no room on the LIM with the supercharger sitting there.

Could be others but definitely rare.

Nic55kel

Funny,

I just mentioned this engine the other day, when Ray challenged my to say what kind of blower would fit on the 4.9

It really was an exciting engine for its time.

Funny,

I just mentioned this engine the other day, when Ray challenged my to say what kind of blower would fit on the 4.9

It really was an exciting engine for its time.

Yes I have two of them in my yard and a 4 speed Fiero GT- oh dear what to do?.

I really enjoyed driving my Buick regal GS with the L67.

The 300I6 is a torque monster but so is the L67 .

Nic55kel

Yes I have two of them in my yard and a 4 speed Fiero GT- oh dear what to do?.

I really enjoyed driving my Buick regal GS with the L67.

The 300I6 is a torque monster but so is the L67 .

Nic55kel

Ahh, but put the L67 blower on the I-6!

Fiero,,,, the great car that never got a chance to grow up.

When GM began to realize that Pontiac's 'little project' would rip the wings off the flagship Corvette if development progressed, it was aborted.

That gas tank though.... :nabble_smiley_argh:

He says in the comments that the head is not really optimized.

That it was a Ford test piece for fuel efficiency.

One of the reasons Ford developed the crossflow head for the 4.9L was a warranty issue. The fuel injectors were exposed to heat soak, since located above the exhaust manifolds, when the engine was cut off. A temporary fix was a cooling fan blowing across the injectors and continuing to run after the engine was cut off.

There were other prototypes as well [variable displacement and turbo].

Truth in reporting [or at least, trying to]

Steve83 wrote:

...a warranty issue. The fuel injectors were exposed to heat soak, since located above the exhaust manifolds, when the engine was cut off. A temporary fix was a cooling fan blowing across the injectors and continuing to run after the engine was cut off.

Are you saying the head was changed between '88.5 and '89? Because the injectors are in the same location on my '95s, and they don't heat-soak or fail. And of all the people to whom I've recommended deleting the '87-88.5 4.9L injector blower (which is probably in the low hundreds); none have mentioned any problems since.

Walk softly and carry a BIG SIX!!!

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742#album

Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way

Steve83,

The same retired Ford engineer said that the crossflow head did address the higher than desired warranty claims regarding injectors, but the primary reason for the development of this head was for improved fuel efficiency and reduced emissions.

David :nabble_anim_handshake:

He says in the comments that the head is not really optimized.

That it was a Ford test piece for fuel efficiency.

One of the reasons Ford developed the crossflow head for the 4.9L was a warranty issue. The fuel injectors were exposed to heat soak, since located above the exhaust manifolds, when the engine was cut off. A temporary fix was a cooling fan blowing across the injectors and continuing to run after the engine was cut off.

There were other prototypes as well [variable displacement and turbo].

Truth in reporting [or at least, trying to]

Steve83 wrote:

...a warranty issue. The fuel injectors were exposed to heat soak, since located above the exhaust manifolds, when the engine was cut off. A temporary fix was a cooling fan blowing across the injectors and continuing to run after the engine was cut off.

Are you saying the head was changed between '88.5 and '89? Because the injectors are in the same location on my '95s, and they don't heat-soak or fail. And of all the people to whom I've recommended deleting the '87-88.5 4.9L injector blower (which is probably in the low hundreds); none have mentioned any problems since.

Walk softly and carry a BIG SIX!!!

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742#album

Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way

Steve83,

The same retired Ford engineer said that the crossflow head did address the higher than desired warranty claims regarding injectors, but the primary reason for the development of this head was for improved fuel efficiency and reduced emissions.

David :nabble_anim_handshake:

So are you saying the head was changed between '88.5 and '89?

So are you saying the head was changed between '88.5 and '89?

I do not know the answer to that. The crossflow head I have mentioned was never offered to the public.

Does that mean it was never put into production? If not, I don't understand its relevance here.