Bullnose Forums

Why drive a truck with a big six cylinder?

As I drove to work, this morning, I asked myself the question listed in the subject line, above. The answer is: it is so pleasing to feel the very flat torque characteristics, every time you go through the gears. Quiet and unobtrusive.

Walk softly and carry a big six!

:nabble_smiley_grin:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was unsure if I would like the 300. Being historically a Chevy guy who has always had 8 cylinders and at least 327 cubes, I was not expecting anything special.

I have absolutely enjoyed the 300 Six. Its not fast, but it is oddly enjoyable. The flat torque curve makes it accelerate like a diesel. It just feels like a tractor/diesel truck. With a turbo, it might even sound like a baby cummins.

It is simple and easy to work on. Mine has 1/4 million miles on it, and it runs great. Doesn't burn oil. Perfect compression.

The sound is unique, and enjoyable. Yes, its no 302 or bigger v8, but it is interesting and fun to hear. I guess it reminds me of childhood, when all my dads friends drove 300 Six Fords. So there is some connection there.

I have priced out the cost of swapping in a spare 4.8 Liter Chevy LS engine I have sitting here. While that would be a fun project, and net a good result, the truck would change personality. Not to mention, it might cause me to lose a few Ford friends....maybe. I think most folks here aren't going to chastise a chevy swap. However, I'm not ready for that yet. I have really loved the way the 300 is.

Someone mentioned religion in another post, and how we shouldn't really talk about it here. I agree. However, I think engine choice and how it effects someone's confidence in their truck, can be closely related to religious choice. I think, whatever we choose to power our trucks with, should be our choice, and if we don't want different opinions, or are not open to criticism, we shouldn't mention it or start a topic to begin with.

With that being said, Dave, I don't think anyone on this forum will criticize your choice of a 300.

Take Care

LOL! I could say the same about a 460. Big Blue's 460 pulls like a tractor from idle right on up.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 300 is an excellent truck engine. And I'm not a huge 460 believer. Yes, the 460 has tractor-like torque, but there's a major difference in at least one aspect - MPG. Yours gets almost exactly twice the MPG as BB.

Plus, you can get to your engine under the hood to work on it. Good luck on a 460.

Anyway, I think I need to own something with that 300 in it one of these days. A '50 Chevy? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yep. And, it would counter someone else installing a French engine in a Ford. :nabble_anim_blbl:

Its all steel, aluminum, rubber and plastic to me. I couldn't care less who made it. As long as its a good piece of engineering and gives me joy.

Its kinda like women. Who cares where it was made, or what brand it is, as long as its a nice piece, its a nice piece......:nabble_smiley_grin::nabble_smiley_whistling:

I was unsure if I would like the 300. Being historically a Chevy guy who has always had 8 cylinders and at least 327 cubes, I was not expecting anything special.

I have absolutely enjoyed the 300 Six. Its not fast, but it is oddly enjoyable. The flat torque curve makes it accelerate like a diesel. It just feels like a tractor/diesel truck. With a turbo, it might even sound like a baby cummins.

It is simple and easy to work on. Mine has 1/4 million miles on it, and it runs great. Doesn't burn oil. Perfect compression.

The sound is unique, and enjoyable. Yes, its no 302 or bigger v8, but it is interesting and fun to hear. I guess it reminds me of childhood, when all my dads friends drove 300 Six Fords. So there is some connection there.

I have priced out the cost of swapping in a spare 4.8 Liter Chevy LS engine I have sitting here. While that would be a fun project, and net a good result, the truck would change personality. Not to mention, it might cause me to lose a few Ford friends....maybe. I think most folks here aren't going to chastise a chevy swap. However, I'm not ready for that yet. I have really loved the way the 300 is.

Someone mentioned religion in another post, and how we shouldn't really talk about it here. I agree. However, I think engine choice and how it effects someone's confidence in their truck, can be closely related to religious choice. I think, whatever we choose to power our trucks with, should be our choice, and if we don't want different opinions, or are not open to criticism, we shouldn't mention it or start a topic to begin with.

With that being said, Dave, I don't think anyone on this forum will criticize your choice of a 300.

Take Care

There is the Church of Speed... who's dictum is 'there's no replacement for displacement'.

(that can be natural or augmented aspiration)

And then there are other beliefs:

Chapman's 'add lightness'

Yunick's 'if you ain't cheating you ain't racing'

Shelby's.... well you get the idea.

The 300 is a tractor engine.

Incredibly reliable and easy to work on.

It has a pace of its own, just like the tortoise and the hare.

It will get almost anything almost anywhere... as long as you're not in a hurry.

I can't think of a more enjoyable way to take a Sunday ride.

There is the Church of Speed... who's dictum is 'there's no replacement for displacement'.

(that can be natural or augmented aspiration)

And then there are other beliefs:

Chapman's 'add lightness'

Yunick's 'if you ain't cheating you ain't racing'

Shelby's.... well you get the idea.

The 300 is a tractor engine.

Incredibly reliable and easy to work on.

It has a pace of its own, just like the tortoise and the hare.

It will get almost anything almost anywhere... as long as you're not in a hurry.

I can't think of a more enjoyable way to take a Sunday ride.

Hmmmm… that's deep, Jim.

Hmmmm… that's deep, Jim.

I think that is why I like the 300 so much. It makes you slow down and just enjoy the drive. You literally CAN'T get in a hurry, so you don't get in a hurry. Suddenly those tailgaters that you would have been angry about become admirers of your trucks, otherwise why would they be so close? The 300 is good medicine, that is for sure. Also, the way these trucks handle, leaves sporty competitive driving in the rear view as well. Maybe I have never owned or driven a properly aligned TTB, but in my opinion, they are not confidence inspiring. The two I have owned both tended to wander all over the road. The light weight nature of the trucks doesn't make it feel "planted". Maybe I just need to tighten things up to change my mind.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 300 is an excellent truck engine. And I'm not a huge 460 believer. Yes, the 460 has tractor-like torque, but there's a major difference in at least one aspect - MPG. Yours gets almost exactly twice the MPG as BB.

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Here is an idea, Gary. In the past, you and I drove the "loop" for gas mileage. You commented, at that time, that my truck was at a disadvantage due to me following and having to catch up with the lead truck. This year, let's you and I take my truck and fill up at Mr. Bass's and you drive the whole way [i'll enjoy the scenery]. Back to the "fillin" station and see what the mileage is?

It will only take a little over an hour and I can arrive early.