Bullnose Forums

Woodgrain repair kit [for ideas only]

Well, hell. What I thought was my nice brushed aluminum sample, is not. Arrived today and it's actually painted silver over a damaged cruise bezel. My fault, didn't look at pictures closely enough, didn't ask questions. Oh well, the steering wheel is beautiful.

Got a couple more samples on their way for the Rosewood.

Looks like I'll be able to find a burled sample on ebay, have an offer submitted for a nice used cluster cover. there's also an NOS example but at $350 have to keep looking.

Does anyone know what the actual "official" Ford name is for this pattern? I see lots of burled vinyl samples online but none really look right so far.

The pictures posted here of the brush aluminum are great but need a sample in hand and I don't see any at all on ebay. Can anyone point me to a piece that's for sale? Or Ford F864 (or others) I'll buy yours then sell it back to you when finished? Borrow yours and return it with free decals when we get there? I'm open to all options, thanks for any help with this one!

Are you looking for a name other than Burlwood? Looking at http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/instrument--radio-bezels.html Ford called both Rosewood and Burlwood 'wood grain'.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, hell. What I thought was my nice brushed aluminum sample, is not. Arrived today and it's actually painted silver over a damaged cruise bezel. My fault, didn't look at pictures closely enough, didn't ask questions. Oh well, the steering wheel is beautiful.

Looks like I'll be able to find a burled sample on ebay, have an offer submitted for a nice used cluster cover. there's also an NOS example but at $350 have to keep looking.

Does anyone know what the actual "official" Ford name is for this pattern? I see lots of burled vinyl samples online but none really look right so far.

The pictures posted here of the brush aluminum are great but need a sample in hand and I don't see any at all on ebay. Can anyone point me to a piece that's for sale? Or Ford F864 (or others) I'll buy yours then sell it back to you when finished? Borrow yours and return it with free decals when we get there? I'm open to all options, thanks for any help with this one!

The burl wood pattern actually does look quite nice when not faded. I sent a set of bezels to Ken/SCFlareside sometime ago that were very attractive, especially against the 84+ Canyon Red dash. I don’t know if I still have any decent unfaded radio bezels but I’ll have a look when I get a chance.

The brushed aluminum bezels really are quite rare. Used ones come up on eBay a time or two per year at best. Often they are pretty rough. David found the NOS bezel that I now have, and it is the only unused one I have ever heard of. I’m not trying to boast but I truly believe it may be the only NOS bezel left. I am conflicted because I don’t want to let go of it but I do want good reproductions available. I think I would be willing to lend out the F600 window crank / speaker cover piece with the expectation that I would receive it back eventually. It has the same finish and is NOS condition. If you do find a suitable film I would like the chance to buy a full set (both dash bezels, speed control horn pad, and the two window crank / speaker covers) and to make sure Gary has the opportunity to obtain a set for Dad’s Truck if he so desires. I can supply parts to be wrapped, either from what I have or purchase some.

The burl wood pattern actually does look quite nice when not faded. I sent a set of bezels to Ken/SCFlareside sometime ago that were very attractive, especially against the 84+ Canyon Red dash. I don’t know if I still have any decent unfaded radio bezels but I’ll have a look when I get a chance.

The brushed aluminum bezels really are quite rare. Used ones come up on eBay a time or two per year at best. Often they are pretty rough. David found the NOS bezel that I now have, and it is the only unused one I have ever heard of. I’m not trying to boast but I truly believe it may be the only NOS bezel left. I am conflicted because I don’t want to let go of it but I do want good reproductions available. I think I would be willing to lend out the F600 window crank / speaker cover piece with the expectation that I would receive it back eventually. It has the same finish and is NOS condition. If you do find a suitable film I would like the chance to buy a full set (both dash bezels, speed control horn pad, and the two window crank / speaker covers) and to make sure Gary has the opportunity to obtain a set for Dad’s Truck if he so desires. I can supply parts to be wrapped, either from what I have or purchase some.

F834 - I totally understand! Actually the larger the sample the better. That door panel piece would be perfect and of course I would treat it with great care, have it back to you within a few weeks. If that's cool, please go ahead. I'm at:

Perry Bush

E2492 Lindee Ln

Waupaca, WI 54981

pab1063@new.rr.com or 920-205-1295

What's extra nice about the large piece is that if we really can't find a suitable existing material, a good photographer could create the file from which the pattern could be reprinted. This isn't 100% exact of course but I've done it twice with a fellow that knows what he's doing and we can get darn close. Here's a picture on an NOS part on top of a pattern that was developed from a picture of a completely different part. Image modification software is absolutely mind blowing....can do just about anything with it once you have a good resolution digital image file.

Thanks again

IMAG1425.thumb.jpg.300c97730a6581d3f01de6e27bf864ed.jpg

F834 - I totally understand! Actually the larger the sample the better. That door panel piece would be perfect and of course I would treat it with great care, have it back to you within a few weeks. If that's cool, please go ahead. I'm at:

Perry Bush

E2492 Lindee Ln

Waupaca, WI 54981

pab1063@new.rr.com or 920-205-1295

What's extra nice about the large piece is that if we really can't find a suitable existing material, a good photographer could create the file from which the pattern could be reprinted. This isn't 100% exact of course but I've done it twice with a fellow that knows what he's doing and we can get darn close. Here's a picture on an NOS part on top of a pattern that was developed from a picture of a completely different part. Image modification software is absolutely mind blowing....can do just about anything with it once you have a good resolution digital image file.

Thanks again

Wow! That is amazing! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you will get the brushed aluminum pattern nailed. :nabble_anim_jump:

Hi Perry,

I'm back online after a busy July. I don't blame you for not wanting to drop serious cash on Rosewood specimens, but these are pretty nice and representative of good quality Rosewood (IMO)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1986-Ford-F150-XLT-Bronco-dash-cluster-BEZEL-RADIO-BEZEL-WOOD-GRAIN-NICE/372738294930?hash=item56c8ef0492:g:5IYAAOSw9rtdU2Fd

Thanks to 1986F150Six for the find in the eBay section

Hi Perry,

I'm back online after a busy July. I don't blame you for not wanting to drop serious cash on Rosewood specimens, but these are pretty nice and representative of good quality Rosewood (IMO)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1986-Ford-F150-XLT-Bronco-dash-cluster-BEZEL-RADIO-BEZEL-WOOD-GRAIN-NICE/372738294930?hash=item56c8ef0492:g:5IYAAOSw9rtdU2Fd

Thanks to 1986F150Six for the find in the eBay section

Thanks - I already bought an NOS center dash piece with the Rosewood pattern, using it to compare samples while searching for a vinyl that is a match.

Hopefully will be getting an aluminum piece from F834 to borrow.

What I still need is an excellent drivers cluster cover with the Burlwood pattern.

Then I'll have woodgrain pattern references as well as physical parts to design the restoration kits. I already have a pattern for the steering wheel horn pads.

Thanks again!

Perry

Thanks - I already bought an NOS center dash piece with the Rosewood pattern, using it to compare samples while searching for a vinyl that is a match.

What I still need is an excellent drivers cluster cover with the Burlwood pattern.

Then I'll have woodgrain pattern references as well as physical parts to design the restoration kits. I already have a pattern for the steering wheel horn pads.

Thanks again!

Perry

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Ford-1985-1986-F150-Truck-Bronco-Center-Dash-Bezel-Pickup-Woodgrain/123832632045?epid=516138271&hash=item1cd50002ed:g:2YEAAOSwNphWXMGw

Thanks again!

Perry

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Ford-1985-1986-F150-Truck-Bronco-Center-Dash-Bezel-Pickup-Woodgrain/123832632045?epid=516138271&hash=item1cd50002ed:g:2YEAAOSwNphWXMGw

Thanks for the link but what I needed was the driver's cluster cover, already have the center piece in Rosewood. No worries, just found what appears to be a decent example and it's on the way:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1986-FORD-BRONCO-TRUCK-INSTRUMENT-DASH-GAUGE-CLUSTER-BEZEL-F150-f250-nice/163640545058?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks for the link but what I needed was the driver's cluster cover, already have the center piece in Rosewood. No worries, just found what appears to be a decent example and it's on the way:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1986-FORD-BRONCO-TRUCK-INSTRUMENT-DASH-GAUGE-CLUSTER-BEZEL-F150-f250-nice/163640545058?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Woops, that link might not work. Here are pics of the one I bought and the NOS example on ebay. I can see mine must be faded but will still be a good reference for the pattern, and can use the NOS pictures to approximate the color.

burl_wood.thumb.jpg.a8b18137aef5572b72c04bbd9b87c10e.jpgburlwood.thumb.jpg.b0b3067a20a1bdbc47dd898db8fad66d.jpg