Bullnose Forums

Help me find my mystery belt

OK, this is starting to drive me nuts.

Way back in 2010 when I got my truck I decided to preemptively replace all the belts on the engine, since I didn't know how long they had been in there. No problem, except for the belt driving the air pump - I couldn't find anyone who admitted to knowing anything about it. No big deal, the belt looked to be in OK shape and it's just the air pump anyway, so I left it on there.

Fast forward to 2019, and the belt is starting to show some slight indications of possible wear:

IMG_0241.jpg.94046de8eb63fa21e5cfeaf6df058d8d.jpg

Out of an abundance of caution, I've decided to replace it. This time around, NAPA told me they knew just what I needed, and could order it and have it delivered in a few days (never mind that my local NAPA is physically attached to their Atlanta distribution warehouse). It arrived yesterday, I tried to put it on today, and it was too long. Even with the air pump swung out to the far end of the adjustment slot, the belt is still about an inch too long.

Measuring the belts, the new NAPA belt is 37.625" long, and the old one is 35.325" - so a belt around 36" even would be perfect. Does anyone know of a place where one can order decent belts by physical dimension, and not by fitment?

I've mentioned it before and I'll say it again.

Gates website has comprehensive listings by application, size, material, whatever..

And while you can't order direct from their website, if you can't cross a Gates# it isn't made..... anywhere.

Gates was my first stop, too. And while I found the same belt there that NAPA sold me, I don't see any way to search by length or size.

I've mentioned it before and I'll say it again.

Gates website has comprehensive listings by application, size, material, whatever..

And while you can't order direct from their website, if you can't cross a Gates# it isn't made..... anywhere.

Gates calls out a #7320 for 1980 300-6 trucks with AC, and a #7381 for trucks without.

You can look those numbers up on their site and get the width and length.

I ordered two belts for my 300 from RockAuto last month. Same part number, two different manufacturers belts showed up. I have the double pulley setup. The belts are not exactly the same length even with the same part number. The belts I needed ran the alternator, water pump off the crank. I do not have smog pump or ac.

Gates was my first stop, too. And while I found the same belt there that NAPA sold me, I don't see any way to search by length or size.

If you go to automotive V belts there is a tab "filter by"

Under that you can enter length, section, width, whatever....

I ordered two belts for my 300 from RockAuto last month. Same part number, two different manufacturers belts showed up. I have the double pulley setup. The belts are not exactly the same length even with the same part number. The belts I needed ran the alternator, water pump off the crank. I do not have smog pump or ac.

Gates 7417 is what I ordered. $4.31 per on RockAuto. Fan/Alt/Crank

Dayco 17460 for power steering