Bullnose Forums

What Do We Call THE HANGOUT? THE LOUNGE?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matthew,

I am genuinely apologetic if you felt my comment was political, rather than an observation of the changing face of manufacturing here in Connecticut.

No no no...*I* made the reference to politics, not you! I made a show of shying away from it (essentially saying "I could say something here, but I won't"), so you haven't the slightest thing to apologize for. If anyone should be apologizing here, it's me...

...and thus we illustrate the problem with politics. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Alright then....

Once again I misinterpret the situation. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Any more suggestions for topics?

Are there any "hot" topics you think we should avoid?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES! TAXES!...lol.

Seriously...I am just in the middle of placing an order on Summit, and it shows a line where I am being charged tax. Now...just to be clear, I am in Canada, but placing an order with an online company in the USA (warehouse in Ohio I believe) and will be shipping the order within the US (to Maine). This is the first I've seen in any internal US orders where tax is being added. Is this a new thing?

I've seen notes on orders before where you had to pay tax if the ship from location and the ship to location were within the same state, but not when shipping from out of state.

I clicked the "more info" link, and if I don't want to pay this tax, I'd have to supply a letter from the state of Maine showing why I would be exempt.

Anyway, just something new that I haven't seen before...

Are the tax rules changing to close the loophole on out of state purchases?

YES! TAXES!...lol.

Seriously...I am just in the middle of placing an order on Summit, and it shows a line where I am being charged tax. Now...just to be clear, I am in Canada, but placing an order with an online company in the USA (warehouse in Ohio I believe) and will be shipping the order within the US (to Maine). This is the first I've seen in any internal US orders where tax is being added. Is this a new thing?

I've seen notes on orders before where you had to pay tax if the ship from location and the ship to location were within the same state, but not when shipping from out of state.

I clicked the "more info" link, and if I don't want to pay this tax, I'd have to supply a letter from the state of Maine showing why I would be exempt.

Anyway, just something new that I haven't seen before...

Summit should ship to New Hampshire.

There is no tax there.

The loophole for online out of state sales has long been closed.

Sellers on eBay seem to disregard it.

And ultimately it is up to the purchaser to pay tax in their state (if there is one)

What about duties and tarriffs?

You damn Canuck's are ruining our economy!!!! :nabble_anim_blbl:

Let's not even touch lumber..

Pretty much, yes. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled last year in Wayfair v. South Dakota that states could collect sales taxes from online retailers who don't have a physical presence in the state, which was a reversal from earlier precedent. So now a lot of states are doing that, as you've discovered. :nabble_smiley_angry:

And ultimately it is up to the purchaser to pay tax in their state (if there is one)

Ok, understood gents, thanks for the replies. I just spoke to Summit, and as Dorsai noted above this new Supreme Court ruling changed the rules last fall sometime. However, not all states got on board right away, and it looks like Maine only started charging tax sometime this spring. My last purchase from Summit, shipped to the same address, was in January 2019 and at that time I was not charged tax. Now the tax IS there, and I guess I have to just suck it up.

The way NAFTA is currently set up, duties and tariffs only come into play when purchasing items that were manufactured outside of North America. In this case it is a set of wheels...and they could very well be made in China, but they could also be made in the USA too.

I order items online all the time, and when shipping into Canada I always had to pay Tax. However, shipping within the US had usually been tax free...but I see that era has come and gone now;).

Oh well, I will carry on about my business and stop whining! Thanks Gentlemen!

Ok, understood gents, thanks for the replies. I just spoke to Summit, and as Dorsai noted above this new Supreme Court ruling changed the rules last fall sometime. However, not all states got on board right away, and it looks like Maine only started charging tax sometime this spring. My last purchase from Summit, shipped to the same address, was in January 2019 and at that time I was not charged tax. Now the tax IS there, and I guess I have to just suck it up.

The way NAFTA is currently set up, duties and tariffs only come into play when purchasing items that were manufactured outside of North America. In this case it is a set of wheels...and they could very well be made in China, but they could also be made in the USA too.

I order items online all the time, and when shipping into Canada I always had to pay Tax. However, shipping within the US had usually been tax free...but I see that era has come and gone now;).

Oh well, I will carry on about my business and stop whining! Thanks Gentlemen!

Is it just that the U.S. has a wider variety of products available?

Is it that you have dollars in the U.S. and the Loonie is not 1:1?

I'm genuinely interested.

It has been suggested that we have a stickied thread to discuss off-topic things. Back in the day things. Who knows what things.

But, what to call it? That's what this poll is for. I'll suggest a few and you can either vote for one of them or suggest another. If enough of y'all seem to like one of the suggestions I'll add it to the poll.

Rules are you get one vote, but you can change your vote.

The FORD Lounge...

Friendly

Open

Responsible

Discussion

Yes and yes. Although we are geographically large...our population is quite small in Canada, so we don't have anywhere near the buying power of the US. Did you know that there are fewer people in Canada than there are in California?...lol. There is usually price difference between the same items in the US and Canada, and even if there isn't much difference, the price to ship those items is much different.

For example, this current order in question is for a set of wheels. Free shipping anywhere in the USA. To ship to me, $125 USD, and when converted to CDN dollars that would be more like $175 for me. So, if I ship the items to Maine and then run across the border to pick them up next time I'm close by, I save that expense. I could buy the wheels locally, but the retailer will still have to pay that shipping, which shows up in the price.

Some items I buy online just for the convenience, even if there is no price savings.

Yes and yes. Although we are geographically large...our population is quite small in Canada, so we don't have anywhere near the buying power of the US. Did you know that there are fewer people in Canada than there are in California?...lol. There is usually price difference between the same items in the US and Canada, and even if there isn't much difference, the price to ship those items is much different.

For example, this current order in question is for a set of wheels. Free shipping anywhere in the USA. To ship to me, $125 USD, and when converted to CDN dollars that would be more like $175 for me. So, if I ship the items to Maine and then run across the border to pick them up next time I'm close by, I save that expense. I could buy the wheels locally, but the retailer will still have to pay that shipping, which shows up in the price.

Some items I buy online just for the convenience, even if there is no price savings.

Yup. I understand.

I believe Canada has about 1/10 the population of U.S.

And I have friends in N.S. that do just what you are doing.

Meanwhile Americans are venturing to Canada to buy drugs.

But more and more this is being done online.

It has been suggested that we have a stickied thread to discuss off-topic things. Back in the day things. Who knows what things.

But, what to call it? That's what this poll is for. I'll suggest a few and you can either vote for one of them or suggest another. If enough of y'all seem to like one of the suggestions I'll add it to the poll.

Rules are you get one vote, but you can change your vote.

The FORD Lounge...

Friendly

Open

Responsible

Discussion

Ok

I'll throw my vote behind this if it is presented as an option. :nabble_smiley_good: