Bullnose Forum

What Do We Call THE HANGOUT? THE LOUNGE?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It has been suggested that we have a stickied thread to discuss off-topic things. Back in the day things. Who knows what things.

But, what to call it? That's what this poll is for. I'll suggest a few and you can either vote for one of them or suggest another. If enough of y'all seem to like one of the suggestions I'll add it to the poll.

Rules are you get one vote, but you can change your vote.

I voted for The Lounge. Back in the old days (1999?) when I first got into these internet truck forums, I was on a 4x4 one that had a "Lounge" and it was pretty cool. There's another that I visit once in a while that has a bar...essentially "Gary's Bar"...lol.

So: current events, history, family milestones, pets, hobbies, around the house advice?

Who has suggestions for more topics?

I'd suggest we don't wade too deep into politics or religion.

That always seems like blood in the water.

Although I'd love to hear about your grandkids baptism or you running for mayor.

Gary, are there any rules in the lounge besides being respectful?

So: current events, history, family milestones, pets, hobbies, around the house advice?

Who has suggestions for more topics?

I'd suggest we don't wade too deep into politics or religion.

That always seems like blood in the water.

Although I'd love to hear about your grandkids baptism or you running for mayor.

Gary, are there any rules in the lounge besides being respectful?

I think being respectful and staying away from profanity probably covers it. However, I'm not sure I can be respectful when it comes to politics, so I'd hope we steer far away from that.

As for religion, I don't see that as being nearly the problem of politics. And most religious people are respectful, so perhaps it won't be an issue.

We can post the few rules at the top of the to-be thread, but they'll get lost very quickly so I'm not sure that will be very helpful. Let's just be nice to each other.

I think being respectful and staying away from profanity probably covers it. However, I'm not sure I can be respectful when it comes to politics, so I'd hope we steer far away from that.

Of course, the impetus for this entire discussion was me publicly shying away from a political discussion...

Mind you, I think a prohibition on politics in the Lounge is entirely warranted. I don't know anyone's politics here, and frankly I don't care to. Politics is one major reason I abandoned all social media earlier this year (the other major reason would lead to a political discussion...); I have some strong opinions on the topic, my friends also have strong opinions, and those opinions were getting in the way of our being friends. I hope for that not to happen here. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Of course, the impetus for this entire discussion was me publicly shying away from a political discussion...

Mind you, I think a prohibition on politics in the Lounge is entirely warranted. I don't know anyone's politics here, and frankly I don't care to. Politics is one major reason I abandoned all social media earlier this year (the other major reason would lead to a political discussion...); I have some strong opinions on the topic, my friends also have strong opinions, and those opinions were getting in the way of our being friends. I hope for that not to happen here. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Matthew,

I am genuinely apologetic if you felt my comment was political, rather than an observation of the changing face of manufacturing here in Connecticut.

I never intended it that way, and I hear you loud and clear on avoiding the polarization of social media.

I don't think Dave was going there either...

At any rate I'm glad you spoke up, and pointed it out to me.

My ASD makes me pretty blind to social mores and I find I can often make a simple observation that other more neurotypical people take offense to.

Matthew,

I am genuinely apologetic if you felt my comment was political, rather than an observation of the changing face of manufacturing here in Connecticut.

No no no...*I* made the reference to politics, not you! I made a show of shying away from it (essentially saying "I could say something here, but I won't"), so you haven't the slightest thing to apologize for. If anyone should be apologizing here, it's me...

...and thus we illustrate the problem with politics. :nabble_smiley_happy: