Bullnose Forums

About a reliable ignition coil

Johns3524

I’m still remembering details and getting caught up with what I did in the 60s when these first came out. I have home video of doing valves, rings and rod bearings on a 1960 coupe...in 1962. Then I didn’t have a manual. Memories...

A friend I was in the Marine Corps with had a 180 Turbo, man that thing would fly!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ll have to look up that article. I think they were special Weber’s..not sure. Of course the standard carbs we’re Rochester. The turbo used a side draft carter

They look like Weber 48 IDA 3Ps which were used on the Porsche 911s engines, the regular 911s got Solex 3 barrel downdrafts that were a nightmare, no floats in the carbs, two float chambers, one on each side fed by a single electric pump. From there on each side another electric pump drew fuel from the float chamber and delivered it to the jet chamber on each carb body where the excess overflowed into a return pipe and back to the float chamber.

The only other system like that I have ever seen was used by Saab, downdrafts on the last of the 2-stroke sedans and sidedrafts on the Sonnet.

A Monza was really a trim package, the hot engine options were turbo, and 4 carbs. A base Monza probably had 110 hp vs Spyder turbo 150; or 180; then 4carbs-140 hp.

Monza was definitely more of a trim package, the 1965-67? Corsa was the performance model, 1962-64 the Spyder was the top engine and car package, 150 hp turbocharged, in 1965 the turbo engine became 180 hp and was a Corsa only option, Corsa base engine was the 140 hp 4 carb version.

Dad had a 1966 Corsa 180 hp 4 speed, he found a complete A/C system in a junkyard and bought it. The condenser on those sat just behind the air inlet to the engine compartment so it no longer sat over the cooling fan. He had to trim a little bit of the fins to clear the turbo, but other than that it fit and ran great. I found a 2 barrel adapter that was designed for a Stromberg WW carb, I took a Holley to Stromberg/Rochester/Carter small pattern and ordered in a small Holley that was set up to be used with a velocity governor and had a plug for the normal power valve passage and an adjacent one that passed through the governor body. I drilled and tapped a hole in the adapter and a mating one on the mounting surface so I could tee the power circuit to the boost gauge line ensuring enrichment under boost no matter what. 4th gear, 45 mph, boost would come up almost instantly.

I had a 1964 Monza 110 hp 4 speed, but my son had a neat 1965 Corsa. When we got it, it was an abandoned vehicle at a towing company lot. Engine was assembled with the heads backwards and the carbs and linkage on the 140 hp engine were fubar. Pulled the engine, went through it and found, Otto OT20 cam, .030 over cylinder sets, headers and glass packs. On reassembly got a pair of auxiliary (Chavy's name) carbs and late 65 up linkage. Original transaxle was rough, got a 1966 Saginaw and differential for it and stuck everything in it. Discovered the car had "heavy duty" suspension aka Handling package. Engine was somewhere between a stage I and stage II Yenko as far as power. I jetted the primary carbs one step lean and went two up on the secondaries. Damn car would leave a 5.0L fox body Mustang and corner like a slot car as long as you remembered DO NOT LIFT in a corner. He drove it all through high school until it got a bit cranky, then used my Horizon until he bought a 1999 Mustang V6 in 2000.

Monza was definitely more of a trim package, the 1965-67? Corsa was the performance model, 1962-64 the Spyder was the top engine and car package, 150 hp turbocharged, in 1965 the turbo engine became 180 hp and was a Corsa only option, Corsa base engine was the 140 hp 4 carb version.

Dad had a 1966 Corsa 180 hp 4 speed, he found a complete A/C system in a junkyard and bought it. The condenser on those sat just behind the air inlet to the engine compartment so it no longer sat over the cooling fan. He had to trim a little bit of the fins to clear the turbo, but other than that it fit and ran great. I found a 2 barrel adapter that was designed for a Stromberg WW carb, I took a Holley to Stromberg/Rochester/Carter small pattern and ordered in a small Holley that was set up to be used with a velocity governor and had a plug for the normal power valve passage and an adjacent one that passed through the governor body. I drilled and tapped a hole in the adapter and a mating one on the mounting surface so I could tee the power circuit to the boost gauge line ensuring enrichment under boost no matter what. 4th gear, 45 mph, boost would come up almost instantly.

I had a 1964 Monza 110 hp 4 speed, but my son had a neat 1965 Corsa. When we got it, it was an abandoned vehicle at a towing company lot. Engine was assembled with the heads backwards and the carbs and linkage on the 140 hp engine were fubar. Pulled the engine, went through it and found, Otto OT20 cam, .030 over cylinder sets, headers and glass packs. On reassembly got a pair of auxiliary (Chavy's name) carbs and late 65 up linkage. Original transaxle was rough, got a 1966 Saginaw and differential for it and stuck everything in it. Discovered the car had "heavy duty" suspension aka Handling package. Engine was somewhere between a stage I and stage II Yenko as far as power. I jetted the primary carbs one step lean and went two up on the secondaries. Damn car would leave a 5.0L fox body Mustang and corner like a slot car as long as you remembered DO NOT LIFT in a corner. He drove it all through high school until it got a bit cranky, then used my Horizon until he bought a 1999 Mustang V6 in 2000.

It sounds like you are up to speed with all of this. In the summer of '76 i started searching for a daily driver again and ended up with a '61 pu, 61 coupe, 63 Spyder 150, 64 Monza 4dr for the kids, 65 4dr Monza, 66 Corsa 140, and a 66 Corsa 180 (w a 110 motor)..and these were just the running ones. I had 3-4 early coupes in parts cars.

The later cars had better handling by design, but I really liked the early bodies and dashes etc. especially the Spyder dash and trim.

This 64 i bought has the stabilzer bar neath the rear, I hope it has the right crankshaft. That why I bought this car..for the 64 running gear. It's a typically rusting floor, and no title, but my wife likes it sitting in the driveway..I can't lose.

I would love to have a 66 transaxle with the saginaw but these are getting a little scarce it seems, at least for cheap money.

Since the internet is here we can see all kinds of stuff anymore. I remember the excitement when I got my "clark's" parts catalog in the late 70's..

My kids ifo our 64' winter of '79

64_Corvair_sedan_4dr_winter_79.jpg.a85bb533eb15f7ad0373bf9374e67089.jpg

Towing the 66 180 back to Alaska.. bad idea

66_corsa3.jpg.b249aefab291ea581fb09a99cc3c3327.jpg

neat to hear your history..and the cool cars..

neat to hear your history..and the cool cars..

That isn't all of it, my first car was a 1964 Falcon my dad bought while I was at Parris Island, it was a 260 V8, 3 speed column shift with "factory air". I took over the payments when I got back in Feb 1966 and drove it until 1970 when I bought this:

_66_GT350_2050_000.jpg.4512e372bab579c133e2097899e1fa5b.jpg

I finally sold the Falcon to a friend, then bought a 1963 Jetfire for more of a daily driver, it had almost every option available for that model. I drove the Jetfire and the Shelby back and forth. After I gave my late wife her engagement ring in the Shelby, I quietly told her to never tell me either it goes or I do, because I would help her pack.

We had a couple of station wagons, a 1970 1/2 Falcon and a 1971 Colony Park, then went to Chrysler corp mini vans for a while. After she passed away, I met my current wife on-line and the mini vans continued until last May when I traded the last one in on a 2011 Flex Limited.

In the mean time I acquired a 1985 LeBaron convertible with the 2.6L Mitsubishi, after the engine developed the Mitsubishi curse, a cracked head, I stuck something in it I had been working on for it:

T2_engine_right_front_view.jpg.74962b8480e1766bc335aef1c346e5e4.jpg

That isn't all of it, my first car was a 1964 Falcon my dad bought while I was at Parris Island, it was a 260 V8, 3 speed column shift with "factory air". I took over the payments when I got back in Feb 1966 and drove it until 1970 when I bought this:

I finally sold the Falcon to a friend, then bought a 1963 Jetfire for more of a daily driver, it had almost every option available for that model. I drove the Jetfire and the Shelby back and forth. After I gave my late wife her engagement ring in the Shelby, I quietly told her to never tell me either it goes or I do, because I would help her pack.

We had a couple of station wagons, a 1970 1/2 Falcon and a 1971 Colony Park, then went to Chrysler corp mini vans for a while. After she passed away, I met my current wife on-line and the mini vans continued until last May when I traded the last one in on a 2011 Flex Limited.

In the mean time I acquired a 1985 LeBaron convertible with the 2.6L Mitsubishi, after the engine developed the Mitsubishi curse, a cracked head, I stuck something in it I had been working on for it:

Pretty neat..It’s kinda fun to measure history by the cars you’ve owned. What I miss are the years when we didn’t take pictures of the cars. I think you must have a few years on me. When I graduated HS I bought a new 65 Impala. Upon returning from Texas to,the left coast, we pulled over in a Utah sandstorm and got side swiped. I sold the car when it came out of the shop. Good memories though even though no pics of it.

Have a great day, enjoy your buffet, my wife is doin the fixins here today...😎

Pretty neat..It’s kinda fun to measure history by the cars you’ve owned. What I miss are the years when we didn’t take pictures of the cars. I think you must have a few years on me. When I graduated HS I bought a new 65 Impala. Upon returning from Texas to,the left coast, we pulled over in a Utah sandstorm and got side swiped. I sold the car when it came out of the shop. Good memories though even though no pics of it.

Have a great day, enjoy your buffet, my wife is doin the fixins here today...😎

Maybe I have a year on you, I graduated HS June 1964 and used my parents two station wagons, a 1959 DeSoto shopper with the 295 hp 361 2 barrel and a 1962 Plymouth Belvedire with the polyspheric 318 2 barrel. I didn't have my own car till after I came back from my 6 months active duty in USMCR and took over the payments on the Falcon.

Maybe I have a year on you, I graduated HS June 1964 and used my parents two station wagons, a 1959 DeSoto shopper with the 295 hp 361 2 barrel and a 1962 Plymouth Belvedire with the polyspheric 318 2 barrel. I didn't have my own car till after I came back from my 6 months active duty in USMCR and took over the payments on the Falcon.

Falcons were great cars that must’ve been neat. Other than my 06 dodge 1 ton diesel, I really haven’t owned many molars...just two other if I can remember right. There was a Chrysler 300, and one of these...A32704C2-FBF2-42E4-867A-E14CAD7FEF88.jpeg.d39a8029f3bbec289aec619855304dda.jpeg

I think it was a 73 right before our daughter was born. But it must’ve been an earlier year cuz she was born in 72...a 383 magnum I believe. I can’t trust my memory.