Bullnose Forums

About a reliable ignition coil

Johns3524

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping it 'stockish' is good because down the line you can always get parts for that application.

Even if I have a '92 Taurus 3.8l alternator, a 1986 E350 power steering pump, and a 2002 Altima fuel filter.

Gee, I recognize some things in that picture, power steering pump from Pete's used parts, my old air filter and a set of OMC valve covers, looks sharp with those on!

Ardwrktrk, thanks for that part number. I did a quick search las night and found that blue coil and wondered if that is what you have. I see they offer a TFI style as well for the early eecIV engines as well.

I’ll see what my local standard parts warehouse can get hopefully at least a blue Mexico version as you use.

Number dummy has a lead on a part number that he thinks might be an oem canister but we shall see.

Thanks for the input

“Petesponies”, I actually have in my possession a couple of Mallory 4 pin modules and a couple of heats sinks to do exactly what you had described. I have a hunch some do that with a hot coil.

Since my wiring is still in pretty good shape, and it is all stock at this point I will try to maintain the original system as “duraspark” as long as I can get reliable parts.

We have to see how it shakes out...I’m not sure what coil I have now (the one I got from a junkyard run), but at least a canister is easy to change.

Thanks again all.

I need to make a plan to rebuild one of my spare 208f Xperia cases next, Iv’e developed a bit of a leak on the output shaft of my DD and it’s starting to make a mess on my carport...

The Duraspark with the 4 pin HEI really worked well. In the second pic, you see the HEI module was hidden under the plastic cover. This was a BII. That plastic cover was stock and covered some relays originally. I drilled a few holes for better air flow.Here are a couple pics.

364979885.jpg.2ab173e761bb5773633ebc8880e8eb68.jpg

IMG_20130202_124411_407.jpg.9c5cbe7721c28e228d01364cdfc62f8a.jpg

The Duraspark with the 4 pin HEI really worked well. In the second pic, you see the HEI module was hidden under the plastic cover. This was a BII. That plastic cover was stock and covered some relays originally. I drilled a few holes for better air flow.Here are a couple pics.

Tim Meyer is marketing a new distributor using the HEI 4-pin module. Those things are reliable and easily sourced. :nabble_smiley_good:

Use the 5 pin out of an Oldsmobile and you can retain the spark retard while cranking....

It looks like a good clean install. When I first “durasparked” anything I bought the Mallory 4 pin modules mostly because I had some other Mallory stuff and was using a TFI coil. I guess my question would be which module worked the best for reliability.

Use the 5 pin out of an Oldsmobile and you can retain the spark retard while cranking....

Jim - As we discussed yesterday, the retard during cranking is critical for Big Blue. With the initial advance I have dialed it he starts perfectly as long as the retard works, but if it doesn't the engine kicks back. So that 5-pin module seems like a good plan if using a GM unit.