Bullnose Forums

Alternator replace, advice please

Okay, update. Got the alternator off (and learned some new words 🤬) New wires should arrive tomorrow. Until then heres a rundown of what i need to do, and what i need to buy.

Replacing all my belts while i have them off anyway, one was cracking.

Found power steering leak, its the high pressure hose gasket at the pump. But i dont think they sell just the gasket, have to replace the whole hose 😑

Doing oil change.

Washed down engine compartment while its hot outside and truck has no power.

Doing a quick cooling system flush and replacing the thermostat. Then finally going to hook up my new heater core.

Checking vacuum hoses, i think theres a leak...

New alternator is not threaded on the ear. I have to go to hardware store and find acceptable washer, bolt, and nut. This would be a nice mention on the write up. Would save a few minutes anyway.

I can not get the stupid pulleys off the alternator. I know a mechanic i am going to talk into switching them for me in the morning.

I regret trying to make the charging cable, should have just bought one. Its fine, just a pita to do and I'm tired now.

Where can i get a spacer for the pully locally? Hardware store? Oreilys?

I just noticed you removed your AIR pump entirely.

I'd suggested getting that belt out of the way.

Did you find you needed more access?

Was it that you couldn't see what was going on?

At any rate I'm going to make the suggestion that you thoroughly grease the alternator pivot bolt and the pivot hole of the alternator so it cannot seize in the future.

Ounce of prevention and all that.....

I just noticed you removed your AIR pump entirely.

I'd suggested getting that belt out of the way.

Did you find you needed more access?

Was it that you couldn't see what was going on?

At any rate I'm going to make the suggestion that you thoroughly grease the alternator pivot bolt and the pivot hole of the alternator so it cannot seize in the future.

Ounce of prevention and all that.....

Grease or anti-seize? I use the latter on things like that bolt as I worry that grease might melt and run out due to heat. And having that bolt seize is a huge pain. Been there, done that.

Grease or anti-seize? I use the latter on things like that bolt as I worry that grease might melt and run out due to heat. And having that bolt seize is a huge pain. Been there, done that.

I have no love for that dirty, nasty, sticky crap.

(and you say undercarriage oil is bothersome and dirty?

Pfffffft!)

I use it precisely **three** places: spark plugs and exhaust manifolds.(and lug nuts)

There are plenty of high temp greases to use to keep the Zamak of the alternator casting from packing its corrosion around the pivot bolt.

I have no love for that dirty, nasty, sticky crap.

(and you say undercarriage oil is bothersome and dirty?

Pfffffft!)

I use it precisely **three** places: spark plugs and exhaust manifolds.(and lug nuts)

There are plenty of high temp greases to use to keep the Zamak of the alternator casting from packing its corrosion around the pivot bolt.

It certainly IS dirty, nasty, and sticky. And the black synthetic brake grease would probably hold up to the temps just fine. But, it is just about as dirty, nasty, and sticky as anti-seize. And it doesn't say Anti-Seize on the tube. So I use the stuff that says it does what I want it to do. And it does it as I've not had a problem with that bolt sticking since I started using it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

(However, I have had to scrub my hands many, many times 'cause dirty/nasty/sticky stuff keeps getting on them. :nabble_smiley_blush:)

It certainly IS dirty, nasty, and sticky. And the black synthetic brake grease would probably hold up to the temps just fine. But, it is just about as dirty, nasty, and sticky as anti-seize. And it doesn't say Anti-Seize on the tube. So I use the stuff that says it does what I want it to do. And it does it as I've not had a problem with that bolt sticking since I started using it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

(However, I have had to scrub my hands many, many times 'cause dirty/nasty/sticky stuff keeps getting on them. :nabble_smiley_blush:)

And when you've got it on your shoe (or butt) and go back in the house???

It's over and done with. :nabble_smiley_angry:

I now use Loctite on any normal bolt I don't want to seize.

It completely displaces air and moisture in the thread gap.

Threads are always perfect when undone.

If I don't want the extra holding power I use purple, or the white PST.

For those timing cases and alternators I usually use Red 'n Tacky or some crazy green lithium grease I got years ago.

Moly lubes are great for extreme pressure low to no speed applications. (splines, steering gear)

But I dislike them as much as Neversieze for everything else.

I keep seeing these blue, black or orange things people put on their hands before doing grimey mechanic work....

While I used to wash my hands with leaded gasoline when they got greasy maybe these guys are onto something?

Wish I had invested in latex and nitrile gloves manufacturers a decade or more ago!

I keep seeing these blue, black or orange things people put on their hands before doing grimey mechanic work....

While I used to wash my hands with leaded gasoline when they got greasy maybe these guys are onto something?

Wish I had invested in latex and nitrile gloves manufacturers a decade or more ago!

Over the last few days I've been worried that having used any number of chemicals to clean parts, like gasoline and brake cleaner, had caused a nasty bump on my left thumb. But my doctor took one look at it and said it is a digital mucus cyst, which Janey said is caused by too much computer time. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Anyway, it wasn't the chemicals, nor the computer, but just "it happens". So he froze it and it is supposed to drop off in a few days/weeks. However, the chemicals probably are not good for us and it would be wise to wear gloves. But typically I only wear them to protect parts, like to keep oil off something I'm going to powder coat, and don't tend to wear them to protect my hands.

Having said that, there is one job where I do wear gloves - packing wheel bearings. The synthetic grease I'm using is tenacious and very hard to get off. So I do tend to don the little clear gloves I get at Sam's for that task.

Over the last few days I've been worried that having used any number of chemicals to clean parts, like gasoline and brake cleaner, had caused a nasty bump on my left thumb. But my doctor took one look at it and said it is a digital mucus cyst, which Janey said is caused by too much computer time. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Anyway, it wasn't the chemicals, nor the computer, but just "it happens". So he froze it and it is supposed to drop off in a few days/weeks. However, the chemicals probably are not good for us and it would be wise to wear gloves. But typically I only wear them to protect parts, like to keep oil off something I'm going to powder coat, and don't tend to wear them to protect my hands.

Having said that, there is one job where I do wear gloves - packing wheel bearings. The synthetic grease I'm using is tenacious and very hard to get off. So I do tend to don the little clear gloves I get at Sam's for that task.

I'm only 55 and I can't imagine I even have a liver left after all the industrial chemicals, heavy metals, rocket propellant and pyro stuff, smelting, sanding and stripping I've done.

But here I am.

Get yourself an (edit).Lisle 34550 Handy Packer*

It's a real timesaver and keeps you cleaner.