Bullnose Forums

Alternator replace, advice please

I'm sorry for my vernacular Gary...

I meant to differentiate a static page here at the garagemahal from an ongoing thread.

I see that as a resource, rather than banter or Q&A

I'll see if I can find some time to tether my tablet, as using nabble on my phone is a 'challenge'.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you mean. I thought you meant the Resources page. Anyway, we will get it done.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you mean. I thought you meant the Resources page. Anyway, we will get it done.

It was my misuse of verbiage....

I'll be the first to admit I don't have this interwebz thing figured out, even though I started with a 14k modem and CompuServe address back in the day of Usenet newsgroups.

So, yeah, the 3G conversion page.

Not any of the 3G conversion threads.

I found the recommended db electric alternator on amazon with guaranteed 2 day prime shiping with delivery on Wednesday. Was only a few dollars more ($82.80 + tax) but i trust Amazon to get it here very quickly and easier to return if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XUIF52/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kpCeDbJWY79KT

On the hotlink note, do you have an amazon referral account? Its not much return but you would get a tiny amount $$$ anytime someone were to click through and buy from your amazon referral links.

I am a bit lost though on your $35 price list, i dont see the actual plug that snaps on the alternator. Will this work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSILIR6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CKDeDb8S9KV40

Okay really appreciate you double checking me, very excited to get my alternator upgraded! I further clarification question.

I understand where the 175 ampfuse goes but where does the 20 amp fuse go? Is the intention for a 20 amp fuse in line on the yellow/white? This i felt is unclear.

Okay really appreciate you double checking me, very excited to get my alternator upgraded! I further clarification question.

I understand where the 175 ampfuse goes but where does the 20 amp fuse go? Is the intention for a 20 amp fuse in line on the yellow/white? This i felt is unclear.

I'm looking through this whole thread and at the 3G conversion tutorial Gary has posted.

No mention of the 20A fuse.

So I'm going to assume you're looking at the EVTM and seeing a 20A fuse before the charge indicator light. The Lt Grn/Red wire that supplies exicter power to the alternator.

That fuse is in the trucks fuse panel.

I'm looking through this whole thread and at the 3G conversion tutorial Gary has posted.

So I'm going to assume you're looking at the EVTM and seeing a 20A fuse before the charge indicator light. The Lt Grn/Red wire that supplies exicter power to the alternator.

On the wiring page, theres a 20 amp fuse in the pulled harness and Gary says his doesnt have one but that it is nessacary.

(If you look closely, in the picture above the yellow/white wire connects to the alternator side of the fuse and is protected by the 20 amp fuse in the fuse holder.) But, my harness does not have a fuse, and some form of circuit protection is absolutely necessary. See below.

On the wiring page, theres a 20 amp fuse in the pulled harness and Gary says his doesnt have one but that it (SOME FORM OF CIRCUIT PROTECTION IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY)is nessacary.

(If you look closely, in the picture above the yellow/white wire connects to the alternator side of the fuse and is protected by the 20 amp fuse in the fuse holder.) But, my harness does not have a fuse, and some form of circuit protection is absolutely necessary. See below.

"See below" mentions the 175A Megafuse or 150A circuit breaker....

My home made harness doesn't have a 20A fuse.

Gary's Ford factory harness doesn't have a 20A fuse.

If the 20A fuse in the regulator feedback wire were to fail the alternator would be constantly putting out its whole 130A (or trying to)

On the wiring page, theres a 20 amp fuse in the pulled harness and Gary says his doesnt have one but that it (SOME FORM OF CIRCUIT PROTECTION IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY)is nessacary.

"See below" mentions the 175A Megafuse or 150A circuit breaker....

My home made harness doesn't have a 20A fuse.

Gary's Ford factory harness doesn't have a 20A fuse.

If the 20A fuse in the regulator feedback wire were to fail the alternator would be constantly putting out its whole 130A (or trying to)

I think Gary needs to clarify that in the 'wiring it' page.

I think Gary needs to clarify that in the 'wiring it' page.

Good point, Jim. 👍

We are out and about with the grandtwins today, so I certainly appreciate you staying on top of this. They may be going elsewhere tomorrow so I might have a chance to work on the page then. Or Thursday or Friday.

On the wiring page, theres a 20 amp fuse in the pulled harness and Gary says his doesnt have one but that it is nessacary.

Gary,

I'm going to suggest changing verbiage to something like this.

I already know how verbose I am. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Steve seems to have a thing for grammar, syntax and spelling, so maybe he has a better suggestion but I'm no english major and I'm working with what I've got

If you look closely, in the picture above the **Lt Grn/Red** wire connects to the alternator side of the fuse and is protected by the 20 amp fuse in the fuse holder, but my harness does not have a fuse.

Some form of charge circuit protection is absolutely necessary.

This can be a 175A Megafuse, or a 150A circuit breaker inline with the thick charge cable as shown below

Gary,

I'm going to suggest changing verbiage to something like this.

I already know how verbose I am. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Steve seems to have a thing for grammar, syntax and spelling, so maybe he has a better suggestion but I'm no english major and I'm working with what I've got

If you look closely, in the picture above the **Lt Grn/Red** wire connects to the alternator side of the fuse and is protected by the 20 amp fuse in the fuse holder, but my harness does not have a fuse.

Some form of charge circuit protection is absolutely necessary.

This can be a 175A Megafuse, or a 150A circuit breaker inline with the thick charge cable as shown below

Jim - I had to go back to the 3G Alternator Conversion page to see the context, which is:

In that pic his thumb is on the output cable coming from the alternator and it is pointing at a 175 amp fuse in a nice holder that can be mounted on your inner fender near the starter relay. And his pointer finger is touching the stator connector and pointing at the regulator connector. Everything you need in one go.

But, there are other Ford harnesses available. Here's one I found on a Ford in the salvage. In this one you can clearly see the white/black stator wire coming out of the alternator and wrapping back to go into the alternator at the regulator plug. And, you can see the yellow/white that comes from the regulator's plug and is connected to the big output terminal. (If you look closely, in the picture above the yellow/white wire connects to the alternator side of the fuse and is protected by the 20 amp fuse in the fuse holder.) But, my harness does not have a fuse, and some form of circuit protection is absolutely necessary. See below.

And I do see the problem. The "and some form of circuit protection is absolutely necessary" was intended for the output wire, not the sense wire. But the way it is written it seems to be saying that circuit protection is absolutely needed for the sense wire.

So I like your upgrade, but maybe it should be something like:

If you look closely, in the picture above the yellow/white wire connects to the alternator side of the fuse and is protected by the 20 amp fuse in the fuse holder, but my harness does not have a fuse.

That fuse failing would lead to an overcharge situation because the regulator would not sense any voltage in the truck or battery.

But some form of charge circuit protection, meaning in the output wiring, is absolutely necessary. This can be a 175A Megafuse, or a 150A circuit breaker inline with the thick charge cable as shown below

Obviously since we've suggested that the sense wire be wrapped back to the output we don't think protection on it is necessary, much less absolutely necessary. So I'm glad you caught that.